There are no dearth of festivals for Hindus and there is a festival every month of the year ...Last month it was Nagara Panchami and this month it is Onam for Malayalees and Lakshmi Pooja for people from Karnataka  and may be for others too..It is called Vara Mahalakshmi vrata in Kannada and is celebrated by all given the fact that Lakshmi is the Goddess of wealth !!!grinning.png

onam

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Beautiful photo Usha, I really love the way colorful flowers are used in Onam rangolis. Are those coconut flowers that are kept in the brass utensil next to the diya?? I have loved that display but never was sure of what those flowers were!

Forgot to add that today is Varad Lakshmi for us too as well as the regular Jara-Jivantika Poojan which is done on all days of Shravan month. Jara-Jeevantika or Goddess Jeevati is supposed to take care of and look after all babies, young children etc. and she is worshiped in all Maharashtrian homes.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It is an important festival in AP too. My home is filled with guests from the other apartments right now. Even the AP government declared as an official holiday on this occasion Varalaksmi Vratam.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Beautiful photo Usha, I really love the way colorful flowers are used in Onam rangolis. Are those coconut flowers that are kept in the brass utensil next to the diya?? I have loved that display but never was sure of what those flowers were!

Yes it is coconut flowers taken fresh from the tree...Onam is a colorful and family oriented festival so there is a lot of joy and happiness , with the entire extended family coming together !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Vara Lakshmi Vratam as is known in AP is associated with health benefits. Women get up early and prepare Prasad of different kinds which will help in boosting the health. Preparations are a combination of nuts, green veggies using plenty of turmeric.

Both the festivals are the celebrations of prosperity and this year it happens on the same day. I wish the members of Boddunan a very Happy Onam and Happy Lakshmi Pooja…

Thank you said by: rambabu

Thank you. Let goddess Laksmi shower her blessing on you and your family.

Thank you said by: RAMAKRISHNAN. A
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

Both the festivals are the celebrations of prosperity and this year it happens on the same day. I wish the members of Boddunan a very Happy Onam and Happy Lakshmi Pooja…

Wish you and your family the same too!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: RAMAKRISHNAN. A
I normally go to my neighbors house for Lunch on Onam day and they being Malayalees have a proper spread and the meal is called 'Sadya' consiiting a dozen or more vegetarian dishes and 3 types of payasams ...Apparently a traditional Sadya has 26 dishes !!!!

Here too there are lot of movements of women from one apartment to other exchanging Prasadams. The whole atmosphere is one of Festivity and happiness.

Onam is not celebrated here as there are no Malayalee families. In the entire Vizag there are very less number of Malayalees.

I wish you all the very best! Thanks a lot to Usha for sharing this visual delight!

Thank you said by: rambabu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.