Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

That's what I do exactly. I think in Telugu, my Mother tongue and convert them to English. I use the same method for writing my articles here.

Sofs wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Yes, I love writing in other languages. I write best in Nagamese, a dialect spoken in Nagaland as contact language in between different tribes. The language has no script so they use Roman script for writing it. 

I have never heard of Nagamese so far. Amazing that they use the Roman script. You have me wondering about the origins of the language itself. Its cool you can write in that language. 

In fact all Naga tribes speak different languages so they have to use a common language while talking to each other, so they use Assamese Language mixed with different words from different Naga tribal languages and also few words from Manipuri, Bangla and Kuki (basically from Myanmar) language. But Nagamese sounds mostly like Assamese in general.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Its interesting that while thoughts originate in the vernacular and the processing of thoughts to a large extent happen in the same language it is instantly translated to English without effort and with great ease. Very often we find the vernacular has an apt word or phrase to describe something which is missing in English.  We just have to make do with the nearest synonym available.  

Of course. That is understood. While thinking in your Mother tongue and translating in to English, the influence of mother tongue should not creep in..

Example. " Do Din Ke neeche." in your Mother tongue Hindi, should not be. "Under two Days, " in English.

Sofs wrote:

Its interesting that while thoughts originate in the vernacular and the processing of thoughts to a large extent happen in the same language it is instantly translated to English without effort and with great ease. Very often we find the vernacular has an apt word or phrase to describe something which is missing in English.  We just have to make do with the nearest synonym available.  

This can also lead to many amusing situations , when people without realising  translate their thoughts word by word into another language for example English ...smiley.png

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I can write in Hindi but not comfortable with the script Dev Nagri. I prefer Hindi in Roman script. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

rambabu wrote:

Of course. That is understood. While thinking in your Mother tongue and translating in to English, the influence of mother tongue should not creep in..

Example. " Do Din Ke neeche." in your Mother tongue Hindi, should not be. "Under two Days, " in English.

" Do Din Ke neeche." sounds interesting but that is not a proper phrase in Hindi language, so it's as good as Under two days.innocent.png

suni51 wrote:
rambabu wrote:

" Do Din Ke neeche." sounds interesting but that is not a proper phrase in Hindi language, so it's as good as Under two days.innocent.png

Ahaha... anyway, I'm not proficient in Hindi as you are. But it's true that that regional or Mother tongue influence cannot be ruled out both in meaning and sound.

This is another example most of the South Indians use.

Somebody said,  during a traffic Jam A meeting is going on it seems.

The other person said, " Oh.. Meetinga ?Seri seri."

I don't mind how do they use structure of sentences as long as I understand the meaning. After all they know how to express themselves in a different language. Besides being a traveler I have heard so many versions of Hindi which confused even me, a native Hindi speaker. (although Hindi is not my Mother tongue) But I love the way people allover the country speak it and feel happier when I hear people speaking as contact language in other countries. 

Take my case. By virtue ofmy job, I had to live in a few states. But, I always used to take care, not to be influenced by my mother tongue. Perhaps it's my adaptability .anyhow as you said, as long as the sense is conveyed, it's purpose is more than served.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.