Children today seem to be so much into these PSPs, iphones, game downloads and the likes that it is a matter of concern...what ever happened to going out and playing ? I see very less children who go for outdoor games. Even if they gather in the evening, at least one of them is seen carrying a video game which all of them take turns to play! Your take on this ?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I personally have not provided any of these to my children. We encourage them to go out and play. My husband and I got at and play cricket or tennis with them if none of their friends come out. 

My son got his first phone when he entered the Med school, only because it is far away. 

My children don't watch TV either .. it depends on what how we bring up children and what we encourage them to do. I agree all their friends have all those things you mentioned and much more. I personally don't see a need for them. 

Sofs, that's the way it should be. I too have managed without giving these to my son and have always encouraged playing outdoor games and if no one is there to play, he goes cycling. But peer pressure does make them ask for these things from their parents ..its like "everyone has a PSP " or 'how about a game download in your mobile' ? Reading is another thing that I encourage..I buy him lot of books and thankfully he has now taken to it. Question however is not of our own kids . There are lot of parents who dont find time to spend with thier kids due to work pressure as a result of which many kids are taking therapy. Wanted to post a link but cloud not manage. Can someone help me with it? Do I have to download it first to my computer and then attach?

An ideal parenting indeed.Children emulate parents. If the child sees its parents who start their day with an I phone and end their day with an I phone they too follow the suit.

Children get more attracted towards criminal video games and take more interest in crime based scenes. If children are using such gadgets like iphones or mobiles to play video games, parents should take care of what their kids are doing on the mobiles or iphones.

http://www.comparenshop.in

Here is an article that depicts the ill effects of gadgets on child's health.

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/132637/cell_phones/influence_of_cell_phones_on_kids.html

Thank you said by: Lopamudra

Thanks for posting it. There is another one I saw in the Telegraph, copied and pasted but couldn't see the hyperlink. 

Even toddlers prefer mobile phones over toys. They avoid real life activities and some of them become victim of gadget affection. Parents are responsible for this addiction. A child behavior is the responsibility of a parent.

Cell phone addiction leads to sedentary life. This further leads to lack of physical activity. For the healthy growth of a child, physical activity is highly essential. Lack physical activity paves way to several diseases like obesity.

Neha Sadana wrote:

Even toddlers prefer mobile phones over toys. They avoid real life activities and some of them become victim of gadget affection. Parents are responsible for this addiction. A child behavior is the responsibility of a parent.

That comment tells the story. Babies know nothing, they only copy behavior that they see. Their role models are their parents and they do just what their parents do. 

Sadly parents take such great pride in saying that their babies know how to use their phones. Little do they realize that they have sown in them seeds for greater addiction and asocial behavior.

Children become obese and moody and very poor socializers as a result of such parental indulgence. 

Parents are the firs teachers in a child's life. Its no secret that children emulate parents. For the excessive use of gadgets, solely parents are responsible.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.