We (my family) need to travel so often out of state by road. The toll booths on these out of state roads take a toll on us and our finances.

After having paid road tax for our vehicles, paying tax on infrastructure we end up paying tax all the way around.

What irks me is that some of the roads are so bad that the government need to pay us  for the damages it causes our vehicles and our backs.

Do you think it is justified to tax us so much.. especially the middle class ?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Roads are the property of the Government. One has to pay for using the Roads.

But, as a user of the Road, if you have any grievance pertaining to Damages caused to your vehicle due bad roads, you can approach Consumer Forms. You have a right to claim the damages.

The damage occurs over a period of time and it would be hard to prove that.. the question is do these tools take a toll on you. What is your opinion. 

My reply is. It doesn't take a toll on me. because I abide by the law and Rules

We (my family) need to travel so often out of state by road. The toll booths on these out of state roads take a toll on us and our finances.

After having paid road tax for our vehicles, paying tax on infrastructure we end up paying tax all the way around.

What irks me is that some of the roads are so bad that the government need to pay us  for the damages it causes our vehicles and our backs.

Sofs, this is something that I too get annoyed about... People who do not drive regularly and pay tolls may not understand this. Most of this toll booths are managed by private companies ( in my state at least) because they have done the road work and the government lets them collect tolls because they are unable to pay them.There have been many protests here because the toll collected was exorbitant , after which they bring it down, which I fee is a ploy ...Either way, on a state highway there are 4 -5 tolls which means you are paying 200 rupees or more on tolls if you are covering a distance of 300 kms..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

Sofs, this is something that I too get annoyed about... People who do not drive regularly and pay tolls may not understand this. Most of this toll booths are managed by private companies ( in my state at least) because they have done the road work and the government lets them collect tolls because they are unable to pay them.There have been many protests here because the toll collected was exorbitant , after which they bring it down, which I fee is a ploy ...Either way, on a state highway there are 4 -5 tolls which means you are paying 200 rupees or more on tolls if you are covering a distance of 300 kms..

200 rupees is if I remember rightly a very low amount, I am sure it is much higher. Not only is this is monetarily taxing on you, You have so many of them en route that  you end up wasting so much time standing in long queues. It is really annoying that you cannot pay once and proceed to your destination. Most countries have a system where you pay what you have to and the system will not hold you back.

Why don't we use all the technology to improve our systems.  

To understand taxation, one need not be a regular traveler. I use Bus. The bus owner has to pay the toll tax. Do you think he pays from his pocket? He charges toll tax from Bus users..It results in hike in Bus fares.

I can tell you this happens often with me. There are so many toll roads/booths in my area which cost more than petrol costs me in some cases. I traveled about 500 kms on 5th of this month and paid toll tax on five points ( I paid return toll tax) The worst was when I had pay Rs 135 at a point on highway even though I had to take a diversion 3 kms ahead on to Nainital road for the last stretch of 45 kms  which was not part of the toll road. So I paid 135 extra out of 400 that I paid in total which could be 500 if I had not taken return option.

I don't understand why do they charge road tax if they have to make all roads as toll ways and express highways. 

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

suni51 wrote:

I can tell you this happens often with me. There are so many toll roads/booths in my area which cost more than petrol costs me in some cases. I traveled about 500 kms on 5th of this month and paid toll tax on five points ( I paid return toll tax) The worst was when I had pay Rs 135 at a point on highway even though I had to take a diversion 3 kms ahead on to Nainital road for the last stretch of 45 kms  which was not part of the toll road. So I paid 135 extra out of 400 that I paid in total which could be 500 if I had not taken return option.

I don't understand why do they charge road tax if they have to make all roads as toll ways and express highways. 

That is exactly my problem. I really don't understand this system. Oh yes, those diversions, and cost of diesel/petrol add up to the travel costs. You seem to be burden with taxes twice and thrice over.  

Any road, be it a highway or an express high way are Built by the government. It's its property.Where from  the revenue comes ? They throw the burden on the road user. You cannot expect to live in a house owned by somebody free of rent.

rambabu wrote:

My reply is. It doesn't take a toll on me. because I abide by the law and Rules

This reply does not make sense, we all are abiding by the country's road rules and as vehicle owners paying road tax for maintenance ...What we are discussing here is the burden of tolls on people !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.