This Durga Puja, many pandals have kept the theme of women empowerment. Is this step really worth to change the age old mindset or will remain just a theme? Even this year theme of transgender was given importance at one of the pandals in Kolkata. Sharing a few links:

http://indianexpress.com/article/lifestyle/celebrating-the-power-of-women/

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/toi-editorials/triumph-of-good-diversity-of-durga-pujas-shows-that-liberalism-is-also-thriving-in-india/

shampasaid

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Yes it be beginning. Here at community marriage function, organizer make rules of 8th fera. It is for saving female baby. But it is not enough, more efforts required.

I am not convinced by this method. It sounds quite heavy that the committee has given a good thought about theme and it is so conscious about the social issues that it's trying to remove the bad practice. This cannot be the ultimate way but every day such a theme has to be promoted and observed upon. Then only some changes can take place. 

shampasaid

The Durga Puja Padals are also a means of expression of thoughts on social changes. This is akin to themesin liteature and movies. How far this will affect reality cannot be said. 

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: rambabu

It is true that Puja Pandals  too are the platform for expression.

The Arambagh Durga Puja Park on Panchkuian road is no exception. But, this time the Puja Pandal highlighted the theme of  " Woman Empowerment" through a group of Vrindavan widows who were known to have broken many a social orthodoxy barriers.

It has to be seen how this social message penetrates in to the society which is male dominated all along.

The theme of women empowerment is also now widely being explored in Maharashtra during Ganeshotsav celebrations, Mahalaxmi Pujan and then during Navratri. Although such messages are indeed the need of the hour, I still have my doubts as to how much awareness it has indeed brought to populations because hardly any changes are yet to be seen.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Exactly, I am also of the same opinion that it would be very hard to bring in required changes in our society by just projecting a theme during any festival. This may fetch a prize for the particular puja committee but it can hardly shake one's heart, then, what is the use? If women empowerment issue becomes only a matter of theme during a festival then our country will never be able to change its mindset which is not good.     

shampasaid

As a theme for a Poja Pandal in Arambagh Durga Puja  Pandal, no doubt, "Woman empowerment is certainty novel and innovative. Puja Pandals are not going to remain forever. Once the Pandal is demolished, Woman empowerment goes into oblivion

As usual, atrocities on women  raise its ugly hood. It's the truth.

This can be a good effort if this puja committee continues with this theme every year to bring change in the mindset of the people. Social awareness cannot be created in four or five days but they need to put in more effort and time to really make people think positively. There is no use if they stop here but it should be a beginning to achieve women empowerment. 

shampasaid

It surely is a step forward. At least it has been thought of. This shows that some people are changing and would like to see the society change foe the better. So far as a real change taking place is concerned, it is the mindset that needs to change. By having these themes a large crowd is addressed and even if a few of them start thinking in the positive direction, it is an achievement. Every effort counts.

I do agree with you that every effort counts. It is right that they thought to go ahead with such a theme which is basically ignored by the majority and for that they deserve to be applauded. Still, I have a doubt in my mind that if it's only for the sake of winning a prize or so, then, did it serve any major purpose? I hope they continue with their good effort and make a buzz in the society so that the rest can ponder over it and come up with a positive outlook.  

shampasaid

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.