What went viral recently in Tamil Nadu and was shown on television in most parts of India, has sent shock waves throughout the State, and also inviting national attention --- a very young Dalit man was murdered by three hired rowdies in broad daylight, in a busy area of Udumalpet, a small town near Coimbatore city.  His only sin was that he fell in love with a girl belonging to the backward community called Thevar.  It is now clear that the girl's father has himself organized the crime.  He and those involved have been arrested.

But the husband is gone, and the girl has just survived death.  What is the use of modern education and liberal views, if we are not able to digest the uprising of Dalit youth?  What is wrong in their falling in love with girls of so called upper castes? 

How do we go about changing society and its views on this vital issue?  How can we encourage love marriages?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I am of the opinion that we need not encourage love marriages actively, but let nature take its own course and be more tolerant of others. These kind of incidences, where couples are hacked to death come from the medieval mindset and intolerance which need to be addressed at grass root levels. Just encouraging love marriages will not work for love marriages do not guarantee that tolerance level will be increased.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

we cannot start loving like that to anybody, because we cannot create love, love happens automatically. Love is the purest feelings that one haves.

bhuyali saroj

We dont need to encourage,  with the growing technology and education people have started choosing their life partners on their own.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Divya wrote:

We dont need to encourage,  with the growing technology and education people have started choosing their life partners on their own.

True..but we need to respect their decision and let them choose their own path down the line.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

No body objected to other suggestions and all kind of help from their parents so why not take them into confidence which will make the things more acceptable and smooth.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I am of the opinion that we need not encourage love marriages actively, but let nature take its own course and be more tolerant of others. These kind of incidences, where couples are hacked to death come from the medieval mindset and intolerance which need to be addressed at grass root levels. Just encouraging love marriages will not work for love marriages do not guarantee that tolerance level will be increased.

I appreciate your views. No need to encourage love marriage. If some one wants to marriage with known one, that it must be with consent of parents.

The question is not love marriages, but freedom of choice. This does not exist in a medieval mindset like India and the Muslim world where there is no intermingling of sexes. India we are still dominated by caste and it is perpetuated by the government with reservations etc in all walks of life from jobs to education.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.