One of the biggest issues of modern Indian higher education is that there is a huge mismatch between what Indians study and what they ultimately do.  Even the best of institutions in India are not able to harness the power of all talented people.

The reality, however is different.  It is a fact of life that there are many with basic entrepreneurial skills, but are unable to find the right information or the right guidance.

A few institutions that exist are guiding the students to some extent, but much more needs to be done.

What can really be done, differently and effectively?  Apart from career counseling, can HR experts play a big role, whatever be the other constraints obtaining in some place?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Internet is s boon to those who are looking for any specific information, most youngsters now including my children got all the career and guidance for higher studies through the net ...if you know what you want, sky is the limit now !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Unlimited options are there but the candidates have to judge themselves first that what they want to become. Once that is firmly decided then internet can play a huge role in providing all the informations, teachers and elders can guide them as well as career fairs are quite helpful.  

shampasaid

The very word DISCOVER gives a hint, pointing out towards, exploration. One, irrespective of the age has to look into see  or find out the strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats in him. This  analysis is very popular with the name SWOT analysis.Youngsters who practice this analysis  in letter and spirit will never see failures. We have an excellent word ,  " Aatma Parisodhana" in Telugu. Parents will play a key role in injecting this knowledge in to the child from very formative years

It is important to let the youngsters explore the world by themselves, let them take their own decisions and falter and commit mistakes. It is only through such explorations and from mistakes that they will discover themselves and will know what and how they really want to do. Most youngsters still have a creative instinct within themselves which is smothered by the education system under piles of scores and marks. Keeping this instinct will help to a great extent.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:

Internet is s boon to those who are looking for any specific information, most youngsters now including my children got all the career and guidance for higher studies through the net ...if you know what you want, sky is the limit now !

I fully agree on you because Internet is the gift which god as provided us and if the youngsters are really confident to move ahead in their career then they should not ask anybody, just go and search in the internet and it will show you the path to success. now the world is so transparent any information is available.

bhuyali saroj

Achieving independence is an essential part of your child's journey to adulthood. Hence it is essential for the parents to make their child's journey smooth and successful. To put it simple, a child needs freedom to find new things on their own. In this process, the child needs parents' guidance and support.

I feel, this happens due to lack of guidance and opportunities. Some cases are like students want to become something which they like but parents them do what they want. Due to the confusion between parents and students wishes the students go into confusion and the real talents hides in them and finally they settle in such a manner there will be no relation between what they studied and what they working. I have seen many people like that. The first example is myself. Am a software engineer. I did btech in information technology but i worked in Search Engine optimization. The reason for my issue is no proper guidance and time for practice and lack of equipment.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

sarala wrote:

I feel, this happens due to lack of guidance and opportunities. Some cases are like students want to become something which they like but parents them do what they want. Due to the confusion between parents and students wishes the students go into confusion and the real talents hides in them and finally they settle in such a manner there will be no relation between what they studied and what they working. I have seen many people like that. The first example is myself. Am a software engineer. I did btech in information technology but i worked in Search Engine optimization. The reason for my issue is no proper guidance and time for practice and lack of equipment.

Exactly. It happened in my case. I had a penchant for art. Seeing my Art , i got a seat in the prestigious J.J. School of Ats. But, my parents refused to allow me to study Art. They wanted that I should study Engineering. As a result, I neither became an Artist nor an engineer . I became a Science graduate with border marks. As luck would have it, I got a job in Rourkela Steel plant. It's here i had won many National awards in Safety Posters and calendar designs. After this, I never looked back. During this period, one senior officer happened to see my Art. He recommended my name to the Chief Personnel Manager of just coming up Vizag Steel plant. Then things happened in quick succession. I got a job in Vizag Steel Plant as a Visualizer in the P.R Department. I was trained in the most prestigious Advertising Agencies.

Now after my retirement, I started working in many Advertising firms located locally. Still I'm continuing. 

How do we help our youngsters discover themselves?

It is very essential to give freedom of choice to the youngsters with regard to their career and education. Guidance shd be provided just to show them the choices but they should be allowed to choose. At times they may make a choice that ,they may regret later, but it all adds up to ones experience in life, so nothing goes waste and eventually they will be able to settle down.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Some where I had read, we should help children to create the road to their life themselves and we should not create the road. In short,we should give them the freedom of expression, decision making, encouragement and of course loads of all types of support (financial / emotional) from early days within the ethical boundaries. In that way kids will know their likes / dislikes, what they love to do, enjoy, hidden talents and blah blah blah. Ofcourse even kids will take their own time to know about themselves.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.