Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Bajirao wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

In India we have unemployment as well as under employment because of lack of job opportunities. However, some retired senior officials known to me have landed better paying jobs after their retirement. It is probably due too  the fact that they have a lot to contribute. There is one more avenue for retired professors and lecturers , which I find quite ridiculous. Some private colleges wanting to cut down on staff expenditure , just to keep to the standard student/teacher ratio enroll some retired and well known professors as honorary lecturers. They are paid a smaller sum compared to what a regular professor gets and get to do nothing except go for invigilation and guest lectures once or twice a month. Everyone is happy in this situation but it also shows how our education system works..

Agree, honorary lectures have become very common in today's educational system. It's win win situation for both the side, retired people can make some money only for tutoring twice or thrice a month and schools and colleges can save money on full time teacher or professor. Here only one who suffers are students, they don't know whom to contact in case if they have any query with respect to particular topic.

That's the whole point, it is a nexus between the school and college management and the tuition institutions. The lesser the studies at school  the more chances of the students going for tuition. So, the teachers and lecturers are getting double pay , at their school or colleges and tuition institutes. The one good thing here is that senior lecturers have an opportunity to work after their retirement.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Bajirao wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

In India we have unemployment as well as under employment because of lack of job opportunities. However, some retired senior officials known to me have landed better paying jobs after their retirement. It is probably due too  the fact that they have a lot to contribute. There is one more avenue for retired professors and lecturers , which I find quite ridiculous. Some private colleges wanting to cut down on staff expenditure , just to keep to the standard student/teacher ratio enroll some retired and well known professors as honorary lecturers. They are paid a smaller sum compared to what a regular professor gets and get to do nothing except go for invigilation and guest lectures once or twice a month. Everyone is happy in this situation but it also shows how our education system works..

Agree, honorary lectures have become very common in today's educational system. It's win win situation for both the side, retired people can make some money only for tutoring twice or thrice a month and schools and colleges can save money on full time teacher or professor. Here only one who suffers are students, they don't know whom to contact in case if they have any query with respect to particular topic.

That's the whole point, it is a nexus between the school and college management and the tuition institutions. The lesser the studies at school  the more chances of the students going for tuition. So, the teachers and lecturers are getting double pay , at their school or colleges and tuition institutes. The one good thing here is that senior lecturers have an opportunity to work after their retirement.

I know a teacher and another a Professor of a reputed university who neither took private tuitions during their job nor after retirement. Both of them feel that its against principle. They can still earn a lot but not ready to compromise.

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Bajirao wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I know a teacher and another a Professor of a reputed university who neither took private tuitions during their job nor after retirement. Both of them feel that its against principle. They can still earn a lot but not ready to compromise.

Definitely there are people who stick to their principles. Mu own uncle , a retired teacher never agreed for tutions. He was really a great teacher and is known for his excellent teaching methods. Many rich people offered my uncle very high fees to teach their children in his leisure time. But he politely refused them.

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Bajirao wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

It is not illegal to give tuition, in fact they may be doing a service to the students by giving extra coaching . it need not be only about money..I know of many good teacher and lectures who teach well at their own colleges but also give tuition at coaching institutes , where students from all colleges come, some of them really in need of extra coaching.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

This is two sides of the same coin. One needs both merit and experience. As far as government jobs are concerned ( except armed forces) there is hardly any meritocracy as there is a reservation of 50% on caste.

I can't say about others but after I took an early release I have held some top appointments in the Civil including the UNO.Experience was preferred.But it cannot be a general rule

I used to go to tuitions when I was a High school student.This teacher used to conduct tuitions in a nearby Temple premises.. The number of students generally will be between 20 to 30. Almost a regular School class. He uses me to correct the other Notes of the students as I used to be  reasonably good student in my class. Another thing is some of the boys will be used to fetch the vegetables for the tuition master. There are these kinds of tuitions too.

MG Singh wrote:

This is two sides of the same coin. One needs both merit and experience. As far as government jobs are concerned ( except armed forces) there is hardly any meritocracy as there is a reservation of 50% on caste.

I can't say about others but after I took an early release I have held some top appointments in the Civil including the UNO.Experience was preferred.But it cannot be a general rule

Both qualification and experience matters and they also become the merit of a person when employers consider them. A qualified and experienced person will definitely be preferred over a less experienced person even if he or she has more qualifications

Today organizations are going increasingly for flat structures where knowledge, skill are more important than experience. There was a time when army was considered a model for men management but now there also a flatter structure is taking shape and experience is going to give way to modern knowledge and skills. Organizations relying on experience are ones which are resistant or slow to change generally.

we will be experienced only if we get the opportunity to work and get use to it. if we don't get the job only then how we will be experienced 

bhuyali saroj

There is definitely a change in the attitude of the employers which has become more capitalistic in its preference , more an American concept where the capacity of a person to impress and bring in business becomes the most preferred qualification. But this has its own short comings in the long run. A senior experienced person need not always have old fashioned ideas, he or she may be with the times and know what exactly is needed for the betterment of the company, given a chance ! It is normally youngsters with a few years of experience that get the best of jobs.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.