Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I see the attitude changing slowly but surely ...I was pleasantly surprised to see some of my students both boys and girls working in Mcdonalds and KFC  joints during summer ! A couple of them were doing sales for mobile phone companies. I think this is good because they learn the value of work, money and also respect for work culture . 

Yes, Usha, it is a positive sign of changing attitudes. In Pune and Mumbai, majority of students opt to work at summer jobs which prepare them fro future careers and help shape their personality.

Yes in larger cities it is the trend , in fact my son was very good with computers and programming while at college and used to do odd jobs during his break,,In fact even I used to give tuitions during my college days to earn some pocket money blush.png

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Homework  is certainly a burden on the tender shoulders of a child. It's acts as a deterrant to the child's development. Here is an interesting article'

http://www.dnaindia.com/speak-up/report-homework-necessity-or-burden-1326140

First of all this is the first time I have heard about homework being a burden because homework is an extention of studies to keep the students alert and it is a part and parcel of curriculum all over the world. What Amartya Sen has said is to overhaul the entire study process which is not possible in the near future. He himself was/is part of the existing education system and come out of it with great laurels. There could be cases where some lazy teachers over burden the students with work that they ought to be doing at school, but home work itself is an essential part of studies. I remember the benefits of homework during my student days since it made me remember what I studied with clarity .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Homework has been discussed in these discussions. members expressed their views pertaining to Homework and how it adds burden on the student.

We can always discuss this topic in forums but the fact is parents feel this is the only way that will take their children somewhere.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I agree with you. The very purpose of Discussion Forums is to discuss any issue openly, sans bias and prejudice. Here in this case, the issue was Home work which acts as an impediment to the child's development. This was the view expressed bu Noble Laureate Amartya sen.

suni51 wrote:

We can always discuss this topic in forums but the fact is parents feel this is the only way that will take their children somewhere.

Not just parents , even teachers realise that giving home work ensures that the students remain aware and don't forget what was taught. Normally , children are playful thereby forgetting their lessons once they reach home except a few salient points. 

I hear a different opinion about Home work to the children. Some are of the opinion that Homework can be completed during school hours. Children relish doing Home work sitting amidst other children of the class.

usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

Not just parents , even teachers realise that giving home work ensures that the students remain aware and don't forget what was taught. Normally , children are playful thereby forgetting their lessons once they reach home except a few salient points. 

True...and also another benefit of homework is that parents can remain abreast of what is happening at the school and can keep a track of their child's progress with respect to the portion covered in school. There are some schools in Pune where no homework is given, books are kept at school, in essence a bagless environment. It works for some bright kids but others who are average or below average, parents are in dark what and how much is covered in school and since they do not have books at home, they can't help either.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

True...and also another benefit of homework is that parents can remain abreast of what is happening at the school and can keep a track of their child's progress with respect to the portion covered in school. There are some schools in Pune where no homework is given, books are kept at school, in essence a bagless environment. It works for some bright kids but others who are average or below average, parents are in dark what and how much is covered in school and since they do not have books at home, they can't help either.

Very true Kalyani! The education concept and the syllabus is formulated keeping in mind all the students, bright,average and of poor intelligence. In most private schools the cut of level while taking students is very high because they want to get 100% results which government schools cannot do. They have to take everyone. If they manage to get even 50% results it is commendable. In my school we got 75% results for both SSLC snd Pre University. This is possible only when teachers make that extra effort of keeping the students on their toes tight from the early years and involve the parents by giving homework . Homework is study material for home so it cannot be finished off at school.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.