Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
suni51 wrote:

We can always discuss this topic in forums but the fact is parents feel this is the only way that will take their children somewhere.

Not just parents , even teachers realise that giving home work ensures that the students remain aware and don't forget what was taught. Normally , children are playful thereby forgetting their lessons once they reach home except a few salient points. 

True...and also another benefit of homework is that parents can remain abreast of what is happening at the school and can keep a track of their child's progress with respect to the portion covered in school. There are some schools in Pune where no homework is given, books are kept at school, in essence a bagless environment. It works for some bright kids but others who are average or below average, parents are in dark what and how much is covered in school and since they do not have books at home, they can't help either.

Very true Kalyani! The education concept and the syllabus is formulated keeping in mind all the students, bright,average and of poor intelligence. In most private schools the cut of level while taking students is very high because they want to get 100% results which government schools cannot do. They have to take everyone. If they manage to get even 50% results it is commendable. In my school we got 75% results for both SSLC snd Pre University. This is possible only when teachers make that extra effort of keeping the students on their toes tight from the early years and involve the parents by giving homework . Homework is study material for home so it cannot be finished off at school.

Exactly Usha, the basic concept of homework is so that the children can revise and reflect on what has been taught in school and so have a better grasp and understanding of the subject. But sadly most schools and parents use it just complete the subject [portion in hurry and then use remaining time span to just keep on learning answers by heart to score marks. There is no importance given to conceptual learning. Even though many schools achieve a success rate of 100% for SSC board exams and many students score above 90% it is of no use because they have been earned by just learning answers and not understanding concept.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

It is not necessary for everyone to learn concepts as it is the really intelligent who will need them in their profession. Others will work on systems where application is needed. System should be able to identify maximum of these intelligent students.

What is important is absorbing what you study and being able to recall it since education is all about information, knowledge  and learning which helps us all through our life . Career is a modern day concept , we see that earlier education  was mainly for seeking knowledge. But now the subjects and study materials are formulated in such a way that it enhances the chance to get a job. So, many subjects seem useless for a student who is concentrating on a particular line of knowledge. I hear many students ask me why do we have to study social studies and 3 languages , since they have to learn the state language Kannada, Hindi and English which is the language of study. They don't seem to realise that any kind of knowledge is an advantage to them. But again unless people understand there is not much use to any kind of knowledge that is thrust on them.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

perhaps it is time now to teach Languages and subjects like social studies only upto 10th std and reduce burden in 12th standard.

I am told that previously they had optional subjects right from high school years and one could change their preferred subjects after finishing school and while joining pre university. I feel that was a very sensible arrangement..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

vijay wrote:

The pressures of competition are very intensive and no one wants to lose the race. Those who can withstand it do good those that can not do not so good.

i think the student should know how to handle pressure and even they loose they should be strong enough to face that.

bhuyali saroj

Pressure is in fact induced by the school and the parents who tend to drive their children far too hard .Instead if they take it in their stride and make sure that there is balance by giving importance to other aspects as well, children would become better equipped to deal with the future demands . Constantly harping on studies makes a child develop an aversion for anything related to school and studies. So they develop the habit of studying under pressure when exams are round the corner rather than have a study routine , which makes it fir easier for them to perform well.

yeah there are many parents who not only force their children but also make their children get frightened from them so that they will get feared from him/her and study. but i think some way it is a wrong perception which usually most of the parents have.

bhuyali saroj

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.