This year is the birth centenary of one of the greatest painters of India, Dr. S. M. Pandit. He was born on 25th March  1916 and died on 30th March 1993. After a full and illustrious career in advertising and illustrations, he turned to paint what he was passionate about, a  series of paintings on mythological subjects, such as Radha-Krishna, Nala-Damayanti, and Vishwamitra-Menaka etc. Although I am a fan of all of his paintings, my personal favorite is his lifesize painting of Swami Vivekananda which he did for the Vivekananda Rock Memorial in Kanyakumari. It is simply a masterpiece. He has successfully captured the divine essence and purity of Swamiji's personality perfectly well in the painting.

The reason I floated this thread is to post invitation of the retrospective exhibition of Panditji's paintings which is to be showcased in the Jehangir Art Gallery, Kala Ghoda, Mumbai starting from Tuesday 7th June next week till 13th June. This is actually a once in a lifetime opportunity to see his paintings. I say that because his paintings are being exhibited after 25 years, the last one was held in Pune at which time, he himself was present. The current show is organised by Panditji's son Shri. Krishnaraj Pandit and his grandson Aditya Chari. Although one can see some of his paintings in the private family-owned museum in Gulbarga, Karnataka, this show will showcase paintings lent by many of the art collectors which can otherwise never be seen. So if any of you can make it during this period, do visit the show and enjoy a visual feast.  It is indeed a rare opportunity.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

A good thing you have done Kalyani, Being an Amateur painter, I appreciate anything connected with Art . Though it's not possible for me to go to Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai, I will try to see this Great painter's works on the web.

rambabu wrote:

A good thing you have done Kalyani, Being an Amateur painter, I appreciate anything connected with Art . Though it's not possible for me to go to Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai, I will try to see this Great painter's works on the web.

Did you know about him before this?

Thank you said by: rambabu

I knew. Along with S.M. Panditji i was a great fan of Ravi Varma too. Because, Like Ravi varma, Panditji's paintings to revolve around Mythological themes. Now, I'm seeing his paintings in different Websites.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/krishna-s-m-pandit.html

I have come to know about such great painter now thanks to this post. But only issue is why Raj Thackrey is called for its inauguration. He does not deserve this association with such great painter who is universal in outlook and we all know how narrow Raj's vision and mission is.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I have seen his paintings at the art gallery at Gulbarga when I visited Gulbarga and nearby places a few years back.In fact we have one of his paintings of Mohini and the asuras. He used a lot of vivid color in his paintings . From what I have seen there were quite a few paintings in the gallery and they were all beautiful..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I don't know much about painting and artists. thanks for sharing it with us. I read in news paper about a artist of my are. She is using saving cream for painting.

and painting with a shaving brush perhaps !!!

i am a great lover of painters who paints immensely good. Happy birthday sir.

bhuyali saroj

vijay wrote:

I have come to know about such great painter now thanks to this post. But only issue is why Raj Thackrey is called for its inauguration. He does not deserve this association with such great painter who is universal in outlook and we all know how narrow Raj's vision and mission is.

You have a point there but for majority do not know Raj Thackrey's affinity and love for art and he has helped many artists in Maharashtra, a rare phenomenon where no other politicians bother with art unless they can be cadged from a poor artist for free. That is why the inauguration is being conducted by him , even last year when we organised a retrospective show for senior artist Ravi Paranjape, it was Raj Thackrey we chose for inaugurating the show.

On another note, I am very much surprised that you came to know about Panditji only through this post, he is the one who painted Swami Vivekanand's lifesize portrait which was used as the basis for his statue sculpted by Sonawadekar now instaled at the Rock Memorial, Kanyakumari.

Babu saroj wrote:

i am a great lover of painters who paints immensely good. Happy birthday sir.

Happy birthday sir? Who are you wishing????

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.