From last two days I am listening on National news channels that prices of tomato in major cities like Delhi has gone near about 100 per k.g. But when I go to my own local market to purchase tomato, shopkeepers are selling tomato at the rate 20 - 30 rupees per k.g. What had made this huge difference? Still the farmers are selling tomato and onion at very low prices, at about 5 - 10 rupees per kg. 

http://www.comparenshop.in

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

It is the same case everywhere, the inflated prices of vegetables and fruits are mostly due to middlemen and very low amount of money really makes it way to the farmers who have taken tremendous efforts to grow them.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Also the credit goes to media. This price hike has happened in one or two places only, but media is presenting this as these rates of tomato ( around 100) is in all places of India. May the shopkeepers in my town will start increasing the rate after going through these type of news. 

Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

Also the credit goes to media. This price hike has happened in one or two places only, but media is presenting this as these rates of tomato ( around 100) is in all places of India. May the shopkeepers in my town will start increasing the rate after going through these type of news. 

No, I don't think media is doing that , but prices of tomatoes have really gone up. I bought tomatoes yesterday at the rate of 80 rupees per kilo! I think it depends more on the city or town, the larger the city is, the more the prices of veggies, it is my personal observation. Last week, I was visiting Kolhapur, a city smaller than Pune and all kinds of veggies and food stuff were much cheaper than in Pune.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

No, I don't think media is doing that , but prices of tomatoes have really gone up. I bought tomatoes yesterday at the rate of 80 rupees per kilo! I think it depends more on the city or town, the larger the city is, the more the prices of veggies, it is my personal observation. Last week, I was visiting Kolhapur, a city smaller than Pune and all kinds of veggies and food stuff were much cheaper than in Pune.

Then why is media showing the news repeatedly only from those places where the rate has increased at double speed. Why not they are showing that still in small towns and villages these rates are around 30 -40 and why not these media channels showing those farmers who are tend to sell vegetables at cheaper rates. In my area farmers are selling tomatoes and onions at 5 -10 rupees per k.g. But they selling it in bulk. And also the reason that farmers have not proper cold storage to keep these vegetables for more days.

Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

Then why is media showing the news repeatedly only from those places where the rate has increased at double speed. Why not they are showing that still in small towns and villages these rates are around 30 -40 and why not these media channels showing those farmers who are tend to sell vegetables at cheaper rates. In my area farmers are selling tomatoes and onions at 5 -10 rupees per k.g. But they selling it in bulk. And also the reason that farmers have not proper cold storage to keep these vegetables for more days.

Well, media is not really known for any responsible behavior are they? And as far as farmers are concerned, it is a sad case of the able ones taking advantage of the ones with less or no means. Most farmers depend on middlemen and bulk traders since they are the ones with access to cold storage and also other facilities such as transport, market space etc. so they depend on them for all these and the result is that we as customers have to shell out much more money than what the farmers get.

yeah the sellers makes an advantages of selling a scarcity products which are not available at that place.

bhuyali saroj

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:

Well, media is not really known for any responsible behavior are they? And as far as farmers are concerned, it is a sad case of the able ones taking advantage of the ones with less or no means. Most farmers depend on middlemen and bulk traders since they are the ones with access to cold storage and also other facilities such as transport, market space etc. so they depend on them for all these and the result is that we as customers have to shell out much more money than what the farmers get.

To sell their crop of fruit and vegetable farmers are depends of middlemen. When vegetable reach to us more than two middlemen earned. 

Babu saroj wrote:

yeah the sellers makes an advantages of selling a scarcity products which are not available at that place.

You missed the bus yet again. Read the first and other posts carefully , this is not at all about products being scarce.

Also may be some political powers behind the hike of vegetable prices, because we have seen such situation just before Bihar elections, and after the elections were over every thing got normal. 

Half of the prices are increased by news channels. I laugh listening to some of the captions they put like "Red War" and the play a loud music before telling that the discussion is based on Tomato price which is available for 30/ but they are telling it is 80/. Next time a vegetable wala comes and says yes it will be 80 from tomorrow because he heard it on TV in the morning.   

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.