Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

The police harassment part is being unnecessarily exaggerated. Lot of it is hearsay. A man is dying and you will not help him because you might be called to court a couple of times to collaborate your statement. Only insensitive persons can think and talk like this. If you do not want to help do not do it but do not justify your inaction under cover of police harassment.

rambabu wrote:

Conditions in US are Different from that of India. Those people who come forward to lend their helping hand at the time of need are harassed in India. In addition to this, as you said Police here are insensitive. We all know the fate of Whistle Blowers, whose mission is to Help others and destitute.

What happen with whistle blowers, was not possible without support of police and politicians. In India police is to create fear in common peoples and to serve and entertain politicians and powerful peoples.

vijay wrote:

The state has to  create such that emergency help is available very fast. What can bystanders actually do?

The bystanders can come forward and actually help carry the victims to the nearest hospital instead of taking videos and photos which is what happening recently in some cases. They just stood around taking photos while the victims  bled to death. More often than not, the victims of such accident die because of heavy bleeding, if they are taken to hospital quickly most would survive.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

There are provisions, that help the people in getting  Ambulance services, nearest Medical centers  etc. One can see the notifications on National highways. But how many know about these facilities. Despite this, " Urgency " of Medical attention  has to be seen. In case of fatal accidents, death  may occur within minutes. In such accidents, , I have seen once a kindhearted , took the Victim in his car to a Primary Health Center .The Doctor on duty informed the Police. Till the police arrived, the victim was not given any medical help resulting in his death.

Provisions are there. But meaningless formalities are the real reason for more deaths in Road accidents.

@Kaklyani and @rambabu, i agree that by standers can provide logistic help. What I meant was what life saving medical help they can provide for which emergency arrangements should be in place. The doctor who waited for police to come should have been prosecuted for negligence. I wonder if there is a rule that till police arrive no treatment can be started. Plesae show such provision, because if it is there it should be removed.

There is a rule, that in case of any accident the concerned Doctor must lodge a complaint to the police. Doctors are adhering to the rule. There is nothing with the Doctor.

Let him lodge a complaint but what is preventing him from starting the treatment. By allowing the victim to die who is gaining. Something is wrong somewhere.

It's the System. Whether the Doctor lodges the complaint or not is not within the purview of this discussion. What we are discussing here is about the prevailing practices and their ill effects.

vijay wrote:

@Kaklyani and @rambabu, i agree that by standers can provide logistic help. What I meant was what life saving medical help they can provide for which emergency arrangements should be in place. The doctor who waited for police to come should have been prosecuted for negligence. I wonder if there is a rule that till police arrive no treatment can be started. Plesae show such provision, because if it is there it should be removed.

I do not know if there is a law that says that all accident victims can be treated only after a police complaint has been registered or they have been notified of the mishap, but it definitely is true that most doctors refuse to touch patients in the absence of the police. But only doctors cannot be blamed for it, because it has happened so that they have been harassed by either police because they had to do 'panchnama' of the accident or the victim  died and his relatives beat up the doctor on duty for negligence etc. The reasons are numerous and we cannot deny that the system is rotten to the core and severe cleaning has to be done to make it work in favor of common people.

But my observation was in general. The attitude of bystanders is changing from being helpful and considerate to being mere audiences and looking at the mishap as if it were some form of entertainment. That is what is more worrying than even the police or doctors. If the bystanders were more active and tried to help, they can very easily persuade the police and the doctors to take quick action and help save at least some victims, if not all.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

First of all this fear psychosis about the police is highly exaggerated. I remember the first time I had to go to the police station was to lodge a complaint about having lost my mobile. I was asked to take a man with me and what not, but it so happened that I went alone and was surprised to see the SI and the constable most co operative and helpful. After that I have gone so many times because of different reasons and my experience with the changing staff has always been the same. If one has to put up with a little bit of inconvenience while helping someone to save their life, I dont see why people shrug off their responsibility towards the society ! It is nothing but selfishness to blame the police and most of these people who speak about insensitivity and fate of whistle blowers etc etc , do so in the comfort of their hme, never having had any personal experience .

Secondly, there is no such rule at all that unless police come and inspect the accident or crime victim, no action should betaken by the doctor. My sister and bro in law both work for bot govt services and have their own private hospitals and they say it is one by doctors, so that they dont need to be held accountable if the victim dies ! All said and done we are a very selfish and heartless society and becoming more so with increased levels of education and so called " Awareness"

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: vijay
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.