Very recently, in the sensational Swati murder case in Chennai, the police were initially discreet in their methods.  But when the Madras High Court came down heavily on the poor pace of investigation, the police decided to go all out, and the entire trail to the culprit, who has now confessed to the murder, was shown on electronic media, which actually went overboard in even interviewing people who happen to travel by the EMU trains at that early hour of the day.

The Madras High Court is reportedly now very angry that the media exposure has been too much.  Where should one draw the line?  In any sensational case like this, the media cannot be made to sit idle and do nothing.  So, what should we do?

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I'm of the opinion,investigations should be made Public. In Swati's case, the madras high Court  was not happy with the Chennai police.the Chennai police was warned for slackness. And ordered to find the killer within two days. If the investigations are not made public, Politicians will influence the investigations and see the real culprits escape.

If investigation is made public then there is a probability that the accused will become conscious. It will become difficult for the police to nab the criminal. There should be some amount of secrecy if not fully. 

shampasaid

Of Curse,There is a chance, the accused will try to cover up. But, the present investigative procedures will investigate  from all the angles, even the accused try to cover his tracks. There are several cases where in the accused is arrested first and continue further investigation until the Court proves the culprit's involvement in the crime. In Swati's case, the culprit declared that he was innocent. But the investigation Team arrested him and sent him to Judicial custody. That's why Madras High Court warned the Police for its slackness.

Further, Public investigation will serve as a warning to all those perpetrators of such heinous Crimes will not be spared and nobody is above the Law.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

If investigation is made public then there is a probability that the accused will become conscious. It will become difficult for the police to nab the criminal. There should be some amount of secrecy if not fully.

yes, very true if the culprit will know how the police or the officials are investigating for him then it will become very difficult for the officials to catch him. so i think there should some privacy related to the criminal cases and after the criminal got caught the media can show whatever they want to show to get their TRP. 

bhuyali saroj

It is not just the circumstances, evidences etc. around the case that is revealed to the public when the details are made known publicly, but a sort of public trial is also carried out by the public of the accused. Unless and until proven, an accused or a suspect cannot be called as guilty of committing a crime, but it seen very often that when a trial is conducted by the media publicly, the accused are labeled as being guilty, which is not good for any society and the families of the accused too suffer degradation at the hands of the society. That is why, I am against such revelations in the public.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Media trial is the culmination of the public trial done by individuals.

Crime investigations should be made public. so that Public knows the real perpetrators of crime. It also serves as a warning signal to the criminals saying that no body is above the law.

Public helps to keep investigations in check and on course.

Public will be more cautious. Especially women, who think twice before stepping out.

vijay wrote:

Public helps to keep investigations in check and on course.

Does it always remain that straight? Isn't there a danger of the innocent ones getting incarcerated??

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.