PM modi done long term agreement with African countries for import of pulses. One author wrote that it will bring destruction in country. Are agree with it?

http://epaper.bhaskar.com/detail/?id=1009251&boxid=71225551328&ch=0&map=map&currentTab=tabs-1&pagedate=07/12/2016&editioncode=41&pageno=8&view

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I heard first time that African countries are involved into the import. Why did government chose African countries for such deal and not countries? 

In a bid to bridge domestic short fall and curb the Price rise, India will import pulses from Mozambique.  On this issue there is a criticism from the Agriculture experts,

According to the MOU to be inked between the two Countries, India may support a network of farmers in Mozambique. India will provide Logistical support, Technology and seeds and pulses to the farmers.

Experts say  there is no need to import the pulses, if  similar type of network can be provided in India too and the Indian farmers are provided technology and seeds.

The Indian farmers usually switch over from growing pulses to other better revenue generating crops leading to less pulse farming. The decision to tie up for assured supply of pulses is good because as our population is rising more secure sources need to be tied up. Yes Indian farmers shoud also be guiven adequate incentives to grow pulses. Scare mongering should be avoided.

Bajirao wrote:

I heard first time that African countries are involved into the import. Why did government chose African countries for such deal and not countries? 

They are indeed involved and the stuff is of good quality too, there is a young, enterprising farmer in Maharashtra who imports high quality cashew nuts from Benin, a very tiny and almost unknown country in Africa and earns a quite decent livelihood. One just needs to know where and how to find things.

Back to topic, indeed the fear of the author is valid that stressing on imports only may endanger farming of pulses but it really has not much relevance as demand for pulses only keeps growing adn the production is not proportionate to its demand. Also, we have seen how Toor dal has made people cry, last year, its price has gone up to Rs.200-220 rupees per kg and at the moment, it is Rs 140. So importing pulses is the only way to bridge the gap between demand and production.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Imports is one way of narrowing the gap between demand and supply and it also helps keep prices in check.

The idea behind importing the pulses from Africa is to bridge the Domestic short fall  and arrest the rapid price rise. Presently all the pulses in the Market above the reach of Commoner.

Bajirao wrote:

Why African counties can't involved in international trade. I think Indian government select African countries because these are capable in meeting demands of pulses of India.

rambabu wrote:

In a bid to bridge domestic short fall and curb the Price rise, India will import pulses from Mozambique.  On this issue there is a criticism from the Agriculture experts,

According to the MOU to be inked between the two Countries, India may support a network of farmers in Mozambique. India will provide Logistical support, Technology and seeds and pulses to the farmers.

Experts say  there is no need to import the pulses, if  similar type of network can be provided in India too and the Indian farmers are provided technology and seeds.

Experts know better than us but it is my views that farming of pulses in not priority of Indian farmers. In this session canals of my area have not enough water for farming of cotton, so farmers are harvesting pulses other wise their first priorty is cotton,

vijay wrote:

The Indian farmers usually switch over from growing pulses to other better revenue generating crops leading to less pulse farming. The decision to tie up for assured supply of pulses is good because as our population is rising more secure sources need to be tied up. Yes Indian farmers shoud also be guiven adequate incentives to grow pulses. Scare mongering should be avoided.

Punjab is major state of Indian in grain production, but farmers of Punjab is not interested in pulses farmers. Their entire focus is on cotton, rice and wheat. For long term India government must be encourage farmers for pulse farming. 

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Bajirao wrote:

They are indeed involved and the stuff is of good quality too, there is a young, enterprising farmer in Maharashtra who imports high quality cashew nuts from Benin, a very tiny and almost unknown country in Africa and earns a quite decent livelihood. One just needs to know where and how to find things.

Back to topic, indeed the fear of the author is valid that stressing on imports only may endanger farming of pulses but it really has not much relevance as demand for pulses only keeps growing adn the production is not proportionate to its demand. Also, we have seen how Toor dal has made people cry, last year, its price has gone up to Rs.200-220 rupees per kg and at the moment, it is Rs 140. So importing pulses is the only way to bridge the gap between demand and production.

Price of most of pluses is nearby 100 Rs per kg, but our farmers are not interested in it farming. In this area of pulse farming increase nearby 20%. So in coming supply will be improves.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.