Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

LOL. Book Cup boards in the Bath Room ? May be, your son  will become a voracious reader in future.

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Gulshan Kumar Ajmani wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Some members who prefer Paper Books can respond as long as it's not marked  with @    so and so.

I used to read paper books. But now I am more comfortable with reading sources on internet.  But this is not material. The essence is that reading is enjoyable. You may read paper book, or on Kindle or some other medium.  This is just like travel You may travel by road or air- train or bus, the aim is to reach destination. 

Being rigid about anything is a negative aspect ! One should adapt and experience before passing judgments ! Reading is enjoyable no  matter what means you do it through ..

True...so long as reading is enjoyable and comfortable, it does not matter what type of book or material it is. I personally do want to get a Kindle but the only thing deters me is my son, I try to keep him away from smartphones and getting yet another electronic gadget will create more chaos. I already have enough chaos at home at times trying to wrench the phone away from him! LOL

The little ones these days start very early to use the electronics media , as early as 3 or 4 years..I feel that they should be allowed to use in a trained manner because at that age they are very impressionable and raw and will not go overboard . They also become so used to them that they take it in their stride rather than get addicted to it at a later stage like it happens with many teenagers..

As far as kindle is concerned, the added advantage is being able to adjust the size of the letters to suit you . However i dont see why reading from kindle should mean that you dont read books or vice versa .

That is true, I agree that keeping children away from electronic devices will serve no purpose and I do let my son use the phone and spend time on computer. He already likes to search and learn more about his favorite topics, favorite book characters etc. But the reason I am wary of kindle or similar device is because I am concerned of blue light from these devices. And not having a kindle does not deter me from reading books, I like to buy physical books for my collection or borrow them from the library or friends etc.

https://gigaom.com/2014/12/23/do-e-readers-really-harm-sleep-depends-what-you-call-an-e-reader/

Especially this bit,

The use of light-emitting electronic devices for reading, communication, and entertainment has greatly increased recently. We found that the use of these devices before bedtime prolongs the time it takes to fall asleep, delays the circadian clock, suppresses levels of the sleep-promoting hormone melatonin, reduces the amount and delays the timing of REM sleep, and reduces alertness the following morning. Use of light-emitting devices immediately before bedtime also increases alertness at that time, which may lead users to delay bedtime at home. Overall, we found that the use of portable light-emitting devices immediately before bedtime has biological effects that may perpetuate sleep deficiency and disrupt circadian rhythms, both of which can have adverse impacts on performance, health, and safety.

My son prefers books to Kindle. He likes to flip the pages as well as the smell of a book.

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Some members who prefer Paper Books can respond as long as it's not marked  with @    so and so.

I used to read paper books. But now I am more comfortable with reading sources on internet.  But this is not material. The essence is that reading is enjoyable. You may read paper book, or on Kindle or some other medium.  This is just like travel You may travel by road or air- train or bus, the aim is to reach destination. 

Being rigid about anything is a negative aspect ! One should adapt and experience before passing judgments ! Reading is enjoyable no  matter what means you do it through ..

True...so long as reading is enjoyable and comfortable, it does not matter what type of book or material it is. I personally do want to get a Kindle but the only thing deters me is my son, I try to keep him away from smartphones and getting yet another electronic gadget will create more chaos. I already have enough chaos at home at times trying to wrench the phone away from him! LOL

The little ones these days start very early to use the electronics media , as early as 3 or 4 years..I feel that they should be allowed to use in a trained manner because at that age they are very impressionable and raw and will not go overboard . They also become so used to them that they take it in their stride rather than get addicted to it at a later stage like it happens with many teenagers..

As far as kindle is concerned, the added advantage is being able to adjust the size of the letters to suit you . However i dont see why reading from kindle should mean that you dont read books or vice versa .

That is true, I agree that keeping children away from electronic devices will serve no purpose and I do let my son use the phone and spend time on computer. He already likes to search and learn more about his favorite topics, favorite book characters etc. But the reason I am wary of kindle or similar device is because I am concerned of blue light from these devices. And not having a kindle does not deter me from reading books, I like to buy physical books for my collection or borrow them from the library or friends etc.

https://gigaom.com/2014/12/23/do-e-readers-really-harm-sleep-depends-what-you-call-an-e-reader/

Especially this bit,

The use of light-emitting electronic devices for reading, communication, and entertainment has greatly increased recently. We found that the use of these devices before bedtime prolongs the time it takes to fall asleep, delays the circadian clock, suppresses levels of the sleep-promoting hormone melatonin, reduces the amount and delays the timing of REM sleep, and reduces alertness the following morning. Use of light-emitting devices immediately before bedtime also increases alertness at that time, which may lead users to delay bedtime at home. Overall, we found that the use of portable light-emitting devices immediately before bedtime has biological effects that may perpetuate sleep deficiency and disrupt circadian rhythms, both of which can have adverse impacts on performance, health, and safety.

My son prefers books to Kindle. He likes to flip the pages as well as the smell of a book.

Really glad to know that he likes books. My son is asking for a kindle out of the novelty and the great ad we see on TV. but I have clearly told him that he won't be getting a kindle before he turns 18. 

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Everything should be used as it is meant to be used. In my own case and my children , we carry our kindle while  travelling or want to flip through the various books while sitting outdoors etc...Most of the time I prefer to read a book !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
anil wrote:

I know some better important on reading books. It is not easy for any one to buy all books. My daughter is member of local government library and she bring books for me. History, biography, travel is my favorite topics.

Other than fiction I too love books on history, discovery , and of course travel. I would rather spend on travel and books than on ornaments and stuff. We have a huge collection of books in every room in the house including a few in the bathroom..

If my son gets to read this comment of yours then he would invariably ask for book cupboards in bathroom. Now, he takes thirty minutes to come out of the toilet but if he gets a book cupboard then God only knows how long he will be inside.

We all have that habit because no one disturbs you LOL...My son too spends a very long time in the toilet when he is on holiday. So, I make sure I keep a lot of reading materials stacked in the bathrooms..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Especially this bit,

Really glad to know that he likes books. My son is asking for a kindle out of the novelty and the great ad we see on TV. but I have clearly told him that he won't be getting a kindle before he turns 18. 

Kalyani, Absolutely right decision. Kindle saves some money as the readers can download and read but certainly it has some bad effect. Well, Kindle Paper White looks great. My son sometimes read on his tablet but usually prefers to read physical books. 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I found, many of the people prefer printed books. My grand children who live in Bangalore have all kinds of Computer gadgets E-book readers and Kindle. Still, I had never seen them using Kindle. They too prefer printed books.

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Beautiful reply, AAm Khao pede mat Gino. I feel comfortable with paper books. I like to read books in free time at my shop, there I have not computer and internet.

Reading a Paper book or reading through electronic devices should be left to the concerned reader. The reader knows better what suits him.

Yes it is right that all are free to select paper books or electronic devices. It is my question that to read paper books one should be purchase it and author of books also get some amount as royalty. But when some one used electronic media author will not get any amount because it is free.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

We discussed a lot about the best way to read a Book. Now, I think it's time to discuss about the favorite Authors and favorite genres of the members. I for one love to read Fiction mostly and Auto Biographies at times. Dear Members, keep the Ball rolling.

anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Beautiful reply, AAm Khao pede mat Gino. I feel comfortable with paper books. I like to read books in free time at my shop, there I have not computer and internet.

Reading a Paper book or reading through electronic devices should be left to the concerned reader. The reader knows better what suits him.

Yes it is right that all are free to select paper books or electronic devices. It is my question that to read paper books one should be purchase it and author of books also get some amount as royalty. But when some one used electronic media author will not get any amount because it is free.

@Anil, not entirely true. Because when one 'buys' an e-book through an official e-book seller such as Amazon Kindle or many other booksellers and publishers, they are doing it through the right channels and so the authors get their royalty. But when you download a book free from the numerous downloading sights which are not authorised by the sellers and publishers, the authors do not get any royalty towards and lose a lot of money. So as a consumer, it is our responsibility to ensure that we spend money and buy them through right channels.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.