Everybody is sold on freedom of expression - some people after making controversial and often damaging statements , go ahead and say that they have the freedom of speech and expression. It is not easy to know how far one can go and where to draw the line . On the other hand we also have people who exaggerate the impact of even seemingly innocent remarks, reading too much into it..Is there a balance and how far can one go ?

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I do not think we can ever have that line because this is a very intrinsic and personal issue. What may be gross for you, may be not for someone else. It will be very difficult to strike a balance.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

So in effect my idea and someone else's idea if freedom of speech could be totally different and contradictory 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

So in effect my idea and someone else's idea if freedom of speech could be totally different and contradictory 

it may sound ironical but i guess that is the truth.

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

I don't think so. Though I don't know exactly, there is a definition for " Freedom Of  Speech" in the Indian Constitution.

if there is freedom of Speech then there is also Freedom of toleration of another's view point. Threatening, hounding, condemning, beating are not conducive to Freedom of Speech. Then it should be announced what is to be spoken and only that will be heard. Anyone deviating knows the consequences. Sham freedom of speech is not what Constitution guarantees.

Of course being anti social and intolerant about others speech is counter productive. However since we cannot control the masses and mob fury it is probably wiser not to make inflammatory statements , more so when the atmosphere is charged ..

Freedom of Speech is the right of people to express their opinions publicly, without Government's interference. The word Freedom is not just freedom. There are Responsibilities too. Hence, Freedom of Speech exercising your freedom without encroaching and bulldozing in to the other person's Freedom of Speech..

It is this very responsibility or rather irresponsibility and a lack of sensitivity while making statements by the public figures that brings in clashes. Since it is difficult to draw the line, it may be prudent to take a balanced view rather than take sides where certain issues are concerned.

Freedom of Speech, if used with  prudence and caution, builds bridges. Or else it creates all kinds of misunderstandings and lead to undesired consequences.

Freedom of speech is slowly going to mean speak only in a particular way, otherwise one can be gagged and punished. Who is responsible for this atmosphere.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.