Customs, rituals and beliefs like Fire walking or Hooking or Bull fighting or many such rituals are prevalent in India since time immemorial.

Here is a very interesting account of a few customs, beliefs and rituals from different parts of India.

http://detechter.com/12-extremely-strange-indian-rituals-that-seems-horrible/

fire walking

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Hooking, we call it thookam in malayalam. Its happens in a temple near my native. The temple is famous for that. I dont think its banned as the link suggests. 

link to the video:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwic1p3mzOvOAhVHN48KHf9LBIIQtwIIIjAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZD4YgRRP5UE&usg=AFQjCNEu-YifS_gqLyrGK-ahpQnXaYying&sig2=iQsYZQmO1lYbT0nOl2L5PA&bvm=bv.131286987,d.c2I

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

The link says that Hooking is banned by the Indian Government after continued pressure from Hyman Rights Association. I will verify from the link you gave.whether it has banned or not.

Sorry a part of my post got erased while posting. Thookkam is a form of hooking. it happens every year in my native. Ezhamkulam temple near my native is famous for this.

May some form of hooking is banned...this is still very much in practice

OK if Hooking is not banned.Because there was much torture to the body, human Rights Society banned it.

Most of these customs including Hooking is not banned by any organisation so far but they ought to be ! I personally feel that any custom that is based on blind belief and causes harm to people,animals or nature should be banned. Does not matter even if it is self inflicted because even such practices can have far reaching damaging effects on others ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I think, there is one ritual, where in tongue piercing will be there. This is another horrible ritual, which should be banned. One more is Fire walking.

I have been to one such celebration in Kuala Lumpur called Thaipusam which takes place in Batu caves temple. Some of the rituals are unbelievable with needles pked from one side of the cheek to the other and things like lemons or other fruits dangling from the sides. What kind of weirdness is that and what god would want that ? It is nothing but madness ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

I have been to one such celebration in Kuala Lumpur called Thaipusam which takes place in Batu caves temple. Some of the rituals are unbelievable with needles pked from one side of the cheek to the other and things like lemons or other fruits dangling from the sides. What kind of weirdness is that and what god would want that ? It is nothing but madness ..

Yes Thaipusam is very famous for its cheek n tongue piercing. Its mainly celebrated in Tamil Nadu and by Tamils.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaipusam

Self flagellation is another ritual one can see in Telengana State. If I'm not mistaken the same ritual is prevalent during Muharram . The man will be bleeding and looks like a mass of Blood. The believers believe self flagellation is   an act of penitence.

usha manohar wrote:

This is a horrible ritual, I heard about it, but never thought it is still in practice. I am sure God must be thinking what kind of inhumane these people are who perform such rituals under my name. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.