Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
usha manohar wrote:

It is not just Hindu festivities but even other religious festivals too have become commercialized. It is more pomp and show rather than substance 

Celebration of festivals are not new one. We Indians are celebrating festivals for centuries. It depends on us how we will celebrate these. In these dayspeople have enough money in hand so they are spending it. Not only Deepawali, Rakshbandhan are Indian festivals, Idd. Gurupurv, Mahvir Jaynti and all festivals of Indian states are Indian festivals.

anil wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

It is not just Hindu festivities but even other religious festivals too have become commercialized. It is more pomp and show rather than substance 

Celebration of festivals are not new one. We Indians are celebrating festivals for centuries. It depends on us how we will celebrate these. In these dayspeople have enough money in hand so they are spending it. Not only Deepawali, Rakshbandhan are Indian festivals, Idd. Gurupurv, Mahvir Jaynti and all festivals of Indian states are Indian festivals.

But I can say that on a lighter note of one benefit that this commercialization has brought other than promoting consumerism and business--diluting the social and religious barriers among communities. For e.g, I do not have any memory of Christmas celebration during my childhood. But now it has become a regular celebration in our house and Santa is waited for the long year by my daughters. Same is for Halloween, which was never in our continent. My Muslim friends enjoy to grab the best offers during Diwali, while I wait for Id to buy the most authentic ethnic anarkali or plazo set from the vast collection launched during that time. 

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Festivals are not meant to be opportunities for financial gain for Brands and companies. They are meant to be occasions for religious observance and for people to understand and respect the meaning behind them. 

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Festivals are now less and less connected with religion, giving etc and are now becoming more of events and parties where there is plenty of shopping, foods, show of wealth etc. Hardly one ever stops and gives a thought to the real meaning of the festivals. Be it Ganeshotsav, Eid, Diwali, Christmas or whatever. Festivals were supposed to be a time where people could take a breather from their daily routines, indulge in special foods, give what they had to the ones less fortunate etc. But are now reduced to a splurging of wealth and indulging in their own fantasies.

Very true Kalyani, it is more a show than any meaningful celebration where people realise the importance of the occasion. I must add here that most of the Hindu festivals end up messing up the cities unlike the minorities..after Ganesh visarjan all water bodies get polluted and after Diwali the entire city is filled with the debris. Unless people take care and clean up the mess , there is no point blaming the authorities or the govt ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Festivals are now less and less connected with religion, giving etc and are now becoming more of events and parties where there is plenty of shopping, foods, show of wealth etc. Hardly one ever stops and gives a thought to the real meaning of the festivals. Be it Ganeshotsav, Eid, Diwali, Christmas or whatever. Festivals were supposed to be a time where people could take a breather from their daily routines, indulge in special foods, give what they had to the ones less fortunate etc. But are now reduced to a splurging of wealth and indulging in their own fantasies.

Very true Kalyani, it is more a show than any meaningful celebration where people realise the importance of the occasion. I must add here that most of the Hindu festivals end up messing up the cities unlike the minorities..after Ganesh visarjan all water bodies get polluted and after Diwali the entire city is filled with the debris. Unless people take care and clean up the mess , there is no point blaming the authorities or the govt ..

I fully agree to both of you. In fact , we have awareness and spreading awareness programs against crackers in full swing. I am just back from my shopping. I could still see people spending like mads over crackers. Money can buy crackers and what about the adverse effects on environment. People just ignore it. We do so much of cleaning before the festival and post festival, the city is full of debris and the effect on environment is there for generations to suffer.  I wonder if that is an indication to Goddess Laxmi to leave till next year. 

How can celebration be so stupid and insensitive??? 

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

On Ganesh Visarjan day, One man is made up like Ganesh. And all through the way Vulgarity  in its worst form  is displayed. And  in the Pendal,People dance to  Cheap cinema  songs.  This is a common scene that can be seen on all the days of Ganesh puja.  It is the same condition in Other Festivals.

Arunima Singh wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

I fully agree to both of you. In fact , we have awareness and spreading awareness programs against crackers in full swing. I am just back from my shopping. I could still see people spending like mads over crackers. Money can buy crackers and what about the adverse effects on environment. People just ignore it. We do so much of cleaning before the festival and post festival, the city is full of debris and the effect on environment is there for generations to suffer.  I wonder if that is an indication to Goddess Laxmi to leave till next year. 

Festivals are not responsible for this stupid and insensitive, we people are responsible for it. Bursting crackers is old tradition. But now time is changed our environment can not bear this pollution. Before 50 years we had not vehicles and factories like at present.

Fully agree. Bursting crackers might be an old tradition but the need of hour is to save the environment for us and our next generation. We have changed a lot of our traditions owing to our changing scenario. Lets change a few for good. For our environment and for our next generations future.

anil wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Festivals are not responsible for this stupid and insensitive, we people are responsible for it. Bursting crackers is old tradition. But now time is changed our environment can not bear this pollution. Before 50 years we had not vehicles and factories like at present.

Environment Pollution, Noise Pollution endangers all of us.

rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Environment Pollution, Noise Pollution endangers all of us.

Who will control it?

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.