The topic is locked.

13th Jan to 15 the Jan is celebrated all over India in some or the other form. Lohri, pongal, makarsankranti...The names vary but somehow flavor matches... All being harvest festival with peanuts, til( sesame), sugarcane and rice delicacies..

Which part of country you belong to and how you celebrate these days??

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Yes. During Makara Sankrant we in AP, we make a big bonfire known as " Bhogi Manta.". Yes all of them irrespective of the region  all festivals are Harvesting festivals.

we celebrate makar sankrant in Maharashtra.. We prepare ladoos made from til and jaggery. Also we prepare mix vegetable for meals , we call it as bhogi..

Culture of my city is Punjabi and Rajasthani. On 13 Jan. we will celebrate Lohri and on 14 Makar Skaranti. Lohri is festival of Punjabi and Makarsakranti of Rajasthani. Here we start new trend of celebrating Lohri. Kanya Lohri. Here education institute gave package of education of girls. At this lohri more 3000 girls wiil get package for education.

anil wrote:

Culture of my city is Punjabi and Rajasthani. On 13 Jan. we will celebrate Lohri and on 14 Makar Skaranti. Lohri is festival of Punjabi and Makarsakranti of Rajasthani. Here we start new trend of celebrating Lohri. Kanya Lohri. Here education institute gave package of education of girls. At this lohri more 3000 girls wiil get package for education.

A  good thing indeed to know that day of Lohri, 3000 girls will get package for education.

Bajirao wrote:

we celebrate makar sankrant in Maharashtra.. We prepare ladoos made from til and jaggery. Also we prepare mix vegetable for meals , we call it as bhogi..

A strange coincidence, we too in AP  call it as Bhogi. All children and elders wear new clothes and sit around a Bonfire

anil wrote:

Could you share something more about the Kanya lohri? Is it some sort of the Government scheme for the education of girls? 

On  13 th January , the Sun enters Makar Rashi . So  it is Makar Sankranti celebrated as  Lohri is extremely popular winter festival in India, especially North India. Lohri is usually celebrated where a bonfire in the evening of 13 January is made.

In our place it is called Puddar celebrated on Sunday  by all agriculturist families. In my own family, the entire family gathers iny ancestral home for a vegetarian lunch using the newly cultivated and prepared rice and vegetables grown in the part of the field that is left out . Normally a portion of the field is left for growing vegetables and pulses and it remains higher than the paddy field so that it does not get water logged.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

According to the Hindu calendar month of Paush,  when the sun comes up to Capricorn from Sagittarius at this festival is celebrated only. Makar Sankranti day of the solstice the sun begins pace. So this festival is also called sporadic Uttarayani.

Makar Sankranti are several mythological stories attached.

It is said that on this day the God  Sun is meet his Son Saturn on his own home, and The Saturn is the Lord of Capricorn, so this day is known as Makar Sankranti.

We celebrate makar sankranti in Rajesthan, Much has flown kites on this day in Rajesthan ..

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh

We celebrate Makarsakranti by flying kites and making sweet dishes. I am from Rajasthan.

http://www.comparenshop.in

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.