The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

here in chennai today is bogi... it kind marks the end of the winters.... people clean and clear their houses and lit a fire using old logs and clothes extra.... which is called bogi.. very similar to the lohri is north india.. tmrw is pongal...which is the harvest festival... marked with few clothes for everyone is the family :) sumptuous lunch... and site seeing 

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

In Maharashtra, we celebrate Bhogi one day prior to Makar Sankrant, which is today. We prepare bajra bhakri sprinkled with sesame seeds, a veggie preparation containing a mix of all seasonal veggies such as carrots, peas, green chana, brinjal, different types of vaals etc, the bhaji is seasoned with roasted sesame and peanuts which are coarsely ground. Bajra bhakri, this veggie preparation is eaten accompanied with fresh butter and rice and moong dal khichadi.

Tomorrow for Sankrant, we prepare til gul which is sweet prepared using combination of jaggery, sesame and peanuts, either in laddoo form or a flat cakes like barfi. We also prepare gul poli, which is crispy thin rotis stuffed with jaggery and sesame stuffing, served with dollops of ghee.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

In Maharashtra, we celebrate Bhogi one day prior to Makar Sankrant, which is today. We prepare bajra bhakri sprinkled with sesame seeds, a veggie preparation containing a mix of all seasonal veggies such as carrots, peas, green chana, brinjal, different types of vaals etc, the bhaji is seasoned with roasted sesame and peanuts which are coarsely ground. Bajra bhakri, this veggie preparation is eaten accompanied with fresh butter and rice and moong dal khichadi.

Tomorrow for Sankrant, we prepare til gul which is sweet prepared using combination of jaggery, sesame and peanuts, either in laddoo form or a flat cakes like barfi. We also prepare gul poli, which is crispy thin rotis stuffed with jaggery and sesame stuffing, served with dollops of ghee.

The same one festival in India is celebrated in different ways in different parts, may be it in Rajasthan, Punjab or Maharashtra, people celebrate it in their own way. But the theme of festival is same everywhere. We celebrate it with our family members and neighbors. All enjoy and stay together.

http://www.comparenshop.in

Manoj Kumar Lamba wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

The same one festival in India is celebrated in different ways in different parts, may be it in Rajasthan, Punjab or Maharashtra, people celebrate it in their own way. But the theme of festival is same everywhere. We celebrate it with our family members and neighbors. All enjoy and stay together.

True,In my own family, my son and his family will be arriving today. Though today we prepare just vegetarian food, on the third day of Sankranti, we prepare Non vegetarian dishes

Local Corporation authorities will organize different different competitions for children.  For Fancy dress competition, children will me made as clowns. These programmes attract people from the different localities and cheer up the children

anil wrote:

Culture of my city is Punjabi and Rajasthani. On 13 Jan. we will celebrate Lohri and on 14 Makar Skaranti. Lohri is festival of Punjabi and Makarsakranti of Rajasthani. Here we start new trend of celebrating Lohri. Kanya Lohri. Here education institute gave package of education of girls. At this lohri more 3000 girls wiil get package for education.

That is really praiseworthy and inspiring. Festivals are time to celebrate and bring happiness and spread happiness. Education opens the door to inner happiness.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:
anil wrote:

Culture of my city is Punjabi and Rajasthani. On 13 Jan. we will celebrate Lohri and on 14 Makar Skaranti. Lohri is festival of Punjabi and Makarsakranti of Rajasthani. Here we start new trend of celebrating Lohri. Kanya Lohri. Here education institute gave package of education of girls. At this lohri more 3000 girls wiil get package for education.

That is really praiseworthy and inspiring. Festivals are time to celebrate and bring happiness and spread happiness. Education opens the door to inner happiness.

Festivals are meant for celebration and meeting Kith and kin and share joy.

I think these 2 days are very important for every different caste of Hindu as someone will celebrate lohri, someone will celebrate makarsankranti, pongal etc.

sdfafa

Well, there is a common string in all these celebrations around the country..The joy of harvest and delicacies made out of them. And showing gratitude to Nature for its gift. And a happy gala time with loved ones.

@ Usha. Though I had heard of pongal, lohri, sankranti, bhogi etc.. I had never heard of puddar, that is a new information to me. Thank you

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:

Well, there is a common string in all these celebrations around the country..The joy of harvest and delicacies made out of them. And showing gratitude to Nature for its gift. And a happy gala time with loved ones.

@ Usha. Though I had heard of pongal, lohri, sankranti, bhogi etc.. I had never heard of puddar, that is a new information to me. Thank you

Puddar is a local name confined just to our district of South Kanara and some parts of Udipi , so not many would know of it !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

Puddar is a local name confined just to our district of South Kanara and some parts of Udipi , so not many would know of it !

We call Kanuma in Telugu .

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.