The topic is locked.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

In Maharashtra, we celebrate Bhogi one day prior to Makar Sankrant, which is today. We prepare bajra bhakri sprinkled with sesame seeds, a veggie preparation containing a mix of all seasonal veggies such as carrots, peas, green chana, brinjal, different types of vaals etc, the bhaji is seasoned with roasted sesame and peanuts which are coarsely ground. Bajra bhakri, this veggie preparation is eaten accompanied with fresh butter and rice and moong dal khichadi.

Tomorrow for Sankrant, we prepare til gul which is sweet prepared using combination of jaggery, sesame and peanuts, either in laddoo form or a flat cakes like barfi. We also prepare gul poli, which is crispy thin rotis stuffed with jaggery and sesame stuffing, served with dollops of ghee.

We too have something similar like till gul here on sankranti which falls today. But we don't add any peanuts only jaggery and black sesame seeds. Its believe that those who don't eat such sesame-jaggery sweet on sankranti will not be born as human being in their next birth but as a dog.

Here people look forward to sankranti celebration as the days gets longer after sankranti.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
jabeen wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

In Maharashtra, we celebrate Bhogi one day prior to Makar Sankrant, which is today. We prepare bajra bhakri sprinkled with sesame seeds, a veggie preparation containing a mix of all seasonal veggies such as carrots, peas, green chana, brinjal, different types of vaals etc, the bhaji is seasoned with roasted sesame and peanuts which are coarsely ground. Bajra bhakri, this veggie preparation is eaten accompanied with fresh butter and rice and moong dal khichadi.

Tomorrow for Sankrant, we prepare til gul which is sweet prepared using combination of jaggery, sesame and peanuts, either in laddoo form or a flat cakes like barfi. We also prepare gul poli, which is crispy thin rotis stuffed with jaggery and sesame stuffing, served with dollops of ghee.

We too have something similar like till gul here on sankranti which falls today. But we don't add any peanuts only jaggery and black sesame seeds. Its believe that those who don't eat such sesame-jaggery sweet on sankranti will not be born as human being in their next birth but as a dog.

Here people look forward to sankranti celebration as the days gets longer after sankranti.

That is interesting belief! Although we don't use black sesame seeds, it must be an interesting combination, I must try using black sesame seeds. Today is the day when Uttarayan begins, that is the earths axis becomes tilted more towards the north and hence the days get longer. So we eat a lot of jaggery, sesame and peanuts and stock up on the fats, proteins and other goodness for the entire year ahead. :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: jabeen
rambabu wrote:
anil wrote:

Culture of my city is Punjabi and Rajasthani. On 13 Jan. we will celebrate Lohri and on 14 Makar Skaranti. Lohri is festival of Punjabi and Makarsakranti of Rajasthani. Here we start new trend of celebrating Lohri. Kanya Lohri. Here education institute gave package of education of girls. At this lohri more 3000 girls wiil get package for education.

A  good thing indeed to know that day of Lohri, 3000 girls will get package for education.

It bring smile on face of many girls and their parents who are not capable to spend money on education of girls. In this year daughter of vegetable seller got package of Rs. 10 Lac.

Sankranti is over, so locking the thread now. Do not want to leave it open for senseless people with time to pass.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.