The topic is locked.

Prompted by a very spiritual person on the Tamil Brahmin community, that I belong to, to wear earrings in both ears, I have started wearing them for a while, It used to be the culture of those days for men above fifty years, to wear earrings in both ears, and this was particularly true of Tamil Brahmins.  The simple fact is that the earrings calm down the mind, and helps to release tension.

I want readers to give their opinion on similar cultural and spiritual practices, like men wearing earrings in both ears. 

Since the entire world has become commercial, and peace of mind is elusive, it will be good to debate such cultural and religious practices. 

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

wearing earrings or tops is old tradition in India. Most of Gods wearing earrings in their images.If we see shape of our ear it some what like a child in womb. Ear also have many points of accupressure.

Among the meitei community of Imphal that I belong to, traditionally boys also wear earrings. Their ears are pierced in a big ceremony. However nowadays once they reach teenage, they feel embarrass being seen with earrings and most of them take it out after they become teenagers

jabeen wrote:

Among the meitei community of Imphal that I belong to, traditionally boys also wear earrings. Their ears are pierced in a big ceremony. However nowadays once they reach teenage, they feel embarrass being seen with earrings and most of them take it out after they become teenagers

Interesting information Jabeen, I have been so many times to Manipur and noticed it but nowadays its very less. I aree its not macho to wear ear rings

Wearing earrings by men used to be a common practice in most Brahmin communities, Maharashtra included. But of late, I am not sure how, probably it is because of the influence of Chhatraprati Shivaji Maharaj's valour and philosophy, but youth in Maharashtra has once again resorted to wearing earrings! And they are not embarrassed in any way but flaunt them proudly. Not just Brahmin boys, but even others have started wearing them!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

On the contrary it is becoming a fashion in upper class youth in India and many other developed country these days. Youth in various developed countries find piercing of different body parts including ears as trendy these days. I think the same is true for African countries

http://www.afrostylemag.com/ASM9/afro_beauty.html

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

In my own place and community , earlier all men had earrings. My uncle's still have them. But the younger generation have moved away from the traditional part of it and those who opt to have their ears pierced do so to make a fashion statement!

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

In our family also.. we usually do the ear piercing for both boys and girls. Its said that it helps in subsiding the anger in the babies.... Dont know to what extent its true though. Here is a link which talks about the benefits of ear piercing 

http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/desi-wisdom-7-things-you-didnt-know-about-ear-piercing/

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius

Wearing earrings had been common in my community but mostly while performing worship of Lord of Trinity but as we had seen wearing this in educational and then professional world seems not so interesting and normal as it appears to be withing friends and colleagues. 

http://mohanmekap.com/

I have often found ear rings add an element of charm in most men who wear tem.

Some of the old people in my family use to wear earrings, I am not aware what is the the reason behind this culture, but I have noticed this as well. Now a days those old people also stopped wearing earrings, may be its embarrassing for them to wear. But it seems the same old culture has began to take place in younger generation. I have seen many younger college going kids wear earrings, and is considered more of a fashion rather than any religious or tradition. 

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.