Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

What I'd read in some history books was that in the 16th and 17th century, the Church was against  scientific theories and progressive thoughts. They'd declare new theories to be heretical (against religious beliefs). Budding scientists were sent to the guillotine just because they dared to think. 

One such case was Galileo's. His heliocentric theory posed a threat to the belief of the common masses in a superior power. So, the Church placed him under house arrest until death. 

Being over-orthodox gets blood on your hands, literally as well as metaphorically speaking. 

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” 

Oscar Wilde

Thank you said by: rambabu, usha manohar

Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.

Thank you said by: rambabu
Abhishek Sharma wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Abhishek Sharma wrote:

The records and proof offered by religious scripts cannot be verified and accounted for. Science also involves some guess work or hypothesis sometimes but it is based on fundamental concepts and is often proved right afterwards. 

Very true , I agree that science is based on fundamentals and proof . However, just for argument sake , many religious beliefs evolved with reason and were time tested by people who followed them. Here I am not taking into account the superstitious and blind beliefs .

Now that likes don't get points responses are being thanked left right and center ..

Yes there were some intelligent scholars with  religious backgrounds who made important discoveries in the field of science. 

As far as the 'thank you(s)' on every post are concerned, where there is a will, there's definitely a way. (To get points)

One can always find a middle path between religion and science. I remember how Puttaparthy would be filled with all the top scientists , who were all followers of Sai Baba ..

Of course when one is brazen and shameless nothing seems to deter them from thanking , even after they have been warned by the moderator..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Rabish Kumar wrote:

Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.

But no one realizes when that faith becomes ignorance and the doubt becomes a way of life....

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” 

Oscar Wilde

Science emerges from undrstanding of truth and religion emerges from ignorance and fear. Even top scientists can be fearful and seek refuge in religion.That does not make religion powerful or rational. It only shows how weak men are.

I feel it is more to do with insecurity than weakness that drives people towards religion. Thats how theories of destiny and fate have come into existence . Majority of the people feel the need to look up to someone else from whom they can draw strength and inspiration , if not religion would not have survived and thrived for so long 

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

I feel it is more to do with insecurity than weakness that drives people towards religion. Thats how theories of destiny and fate have come into existence . Majority of the people feel the need to look up to someone else from whom they can draw strength and inspiration , if not religion would not have survived and thrived for so long 

So eventually Lord is the Shepherd because we are the sheep. 

Oscar Wilde

Abhishek Sharma wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

So eventually Lord is the Shepherd because we are the sheep. 

Christians and The Bible  got it absolutely right ..grinning

I hate it when people get too superstitious and when I ask them if there's any logic behind it, they say- " I don't know but there's got to be a scientific reason."

Not following anything is surely better than following such unfruitful practices.

Oscar Wilde

One can never argue with a believer of any religion because of their blind belief that is unshakable. I came across this quote on religious beliefs " Religion is about turning untested beliefs into unshakable truth through the power of institutions and passage of time " ..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.