Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Utpal Dutt was a great character actor with a superb sense of timing. it is doubtful whether he would have fitted in todays films where the story plots are now very different.

Utpal Dutt movies are relevant for any time especially Golmall, Naram Garam Rang Birangi are the movies that can be seen and enjoyed at any time

Point is why such movies are not produced today. The audience taste have changed. I know of a boy of 12 years age who went to see Sholay when it was re released with his grandfather. The boy walked out at interval saying it was a bore movie.

It's not only about taste but these days the type of subtle filmmakers like Hrishikesh Mukherjee, Basu Chatterjee and others are missing. The approach towards film making has changed so is the taste of the audience. I am not sure that Utpal Dutt would have fit in the roles of the present era or not but cannot negate it completely. He was an excellent artist and it's always a challenge for the artists to put up different kind of performances. I presume that he would have performed better than many artists of the present generation.     

shampasaid

One must know that Movie making is a business

A Producer invests money to get profit or at least to get back what he or she invested

In this scenario, if a Producer invests money without knowing, current tastes and attitudes of the Cinema goers, the investor or the Director has to eat the dust

In todays films there are very few characters.  It is usually a hero and heroine and minor characters. Due to high costs the character actors like Utpal Dutt have no roles available today. 

Here is a comprehensive  article about Utpal Dutt. Read on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utpal_Dutt

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.