Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Yes, ladies are taking up the task in their hands but still the percentage is very less. I would request the daughters, especially those who do not have their own brother, must not have double standard. She in any way must not underestimate her strength. Every child has an equal right so I request every daughter to realise their ability and stand up for a cause.        

shampasaid

You are right. More and more women should come forward and  fight against this Draconian rule tha the women are not eligible to perform the last rites.

Religion and rituals undergo a change with the change in the socio-economic scenario of a society. Awareness and change in mindset also plays an important role. Daughters coming forward for last ritual of parents shows a change in that mindset and can be seen as a positive step towards gender equality. But any religion or rituals can not be pushed down the throat of an individual and his/her personal choice and preference does matter. So it is the choice of the individual if he/she wants to come forward and perform it. Moreover, the way it has to be done also depends on the logic and understanding of the person concerned. 

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:

Religion and rituals undergo a change with the change in the socio-economic scenario of a society. Awareness and change in mindset also plays an important role. Daughters coming forward for last ritual of parents shows a change in that mindset and can be seen as a positive step towards gender equality. But any religion or rituals can not be pushed down the throat of an individual and his/her personal choice and preference does matter. So it is the choice of the individual if he/she wants to come forward and perform it. Moreover, the way it has to be done also depends on the logic and understanding of the person concerned. 

Religion and ritual should not be pushed down the throat is an ideal statement but it is still very much poignant issue in our society. The daughters should have their own choice and no custom must have the right to stop them from performing the last rites. I can't accept the thought process of the daughters who believe that just because they are daughters they do not have the right to perform last rite and they ask any other male member to do so because they do not have their own brother. This is unacceptable in the 21st century. 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

Religion and ritual should not be pushed down the throat is an ideal statement but it is still very much poignant issue in our society. The daughters should have their own choice and no custom must have the right to stop them from performing the last rites. I can't accept the thought process of the daughters who believe that just because they are daughters they do not have the right to perform last rite and they ask any other male member to do so because they do not have their own brother. This is unacceptable in the 21st century. 

When we live in a society especially one as narrow minded as ours it is but natural for anyone especially ladies to break the norm and sand out. A lady may go ahead and perform the last rites by force but there will be repercussion later on. So , unless it becomes accepted , for the large majority it is a difficult decision to take so they let a male relative do it.

I would like to mention this point , in one of the news debates a lady was putting forth strong view points and one of the politician present was telling her , how can you being a sister , wife and a mother say this ?" AAP ko yeh Shoba nahin detha hai..this is the feudal mindset of the law makers in our country.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

When we live in a society especially one as narrow minded as ours it is but natural for anyone especially ladies to break the norm and sand out. A lady may go ahead and perform the last rites by force but there will be repercussion later on. So , unless it becomes accepted , for the large majority it is a difficult decision to take so they let a male relative do it.

I would like to mention this point , in one of the news debates a lady was putting forth strong view points and one of the politician present was telling her , how can you being a sister , wife and a mother say this ?" AAP ko yeh Shoba nahin detha hai..this is the feudal mindset of the law makers in our country.

Totally agree Usha!!

Women empowerment has a long wait owing to these feudal mindsets and so called empowered females supporting it in the name of culture and rituals.

But I personally feel that being a daughter, sister, wife, friend and mother, it is my responsibility to be strong and beat the feudal mindset

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

Shampa , if we look around , we see that we have had many women from India who have broken free from the age old traditional beliefs right from the days of Independence. India was one of the first nations to have a lady Prime Minister . We have had many ladies in prominent positions without being bound by any shackles of blind belief   . But the vast majority of middle class wants to hold on for reasons of their own. It is that class that is normally a deterrent to any kind of new ideas and progress.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh
usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

Shampa , if we look around , we see that we have had many women from India who have broken free from the age old traditional beliefs right from the days of Independence. India was one of the first nations to have a lady Prime Minister . We have had many ladies in prominent positions without being bound by any shackles of blind belief   . But the vast majority of middle class wants to hold on for reasons of their own. It is that class that is normally a deterrent to any kind of new ideas and progress.

You are absolutely right. The thought process of the middle class is quite threatening at times. I want to share a personal experience. Last November when I lost my brother, my niece came up and told my elder sister that she wanted to perform last rites of her father in a similar fashion as her brother would do. She said that her father never believed in gender discrimination so she would perform every rite. Instantly, everyone in the family encouraged her to do so. Both my nephew and niece are in early twenties and they completed every ritual together. I feel extremely proud of her decision while my two sisters and I did not think in that manner when we lost our parents. We too never faced any discrimination but still during that last phase we did not think like our niece did. My all the three brothers performed every rite. We participated in those rituals which were meant for us to do. 

shampasaid

Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

You are absolutely right. The thought process of the middle class is quite threatening at times. I want to share a personal experience. Last November when I lost my brother, my niece came up and told my elder sister that she wanted to perform last rites of her father in a similar fashion as her brother would do. She said that her father never believed in gender discrimination so she would perform every rite. Instantly, everyone in the family encouraged her to do so. Both my nephew and niece are in early twenties and they completed every ritual together. I feel extremely proud of her decision while my two sisters and I did not think in this manner when we lost our parents. We too never faced any discrimination but still during that last phase we did not think like our niece did. My all the three brothers performed every rite. We participated in those rituals which were meant for us to do. 

That is really heartening to hear. When individual efforts are made they set an example to others . Most people wait for others to lead the way rather than take the initiative .

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya
usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
Arunima Singh wrote:

You are absolutely right. The thought process of the middle class is quite threatening at times. I want to share a personal experience. Last November when I lost my brother, my niece came up and told my elder sister that she wanted to perform last rites of her father in a similar fashion as her brother would do. She said that her father never believed in gender discrimination so she would perform every rite. Instantly, everyone in the family encouraged her to do so. Both my nephew and niece are in early twenties and they completed every ritual together. I feel extremely proud of her decision while my two sisters and I did not think in this manner when we lost our parents. We too never faced any discrimination but still during that last phase we did not think like our niece did. My all the three brothers performed every rite. We participated in those rituals which were meant for us to do. 

That is really heartening to hear. When individual efforts are made they set an example to others . Most people wait for others to lead the way rather than take the initiative .

It's indeed heartening. She has really set a good example at a very young age. Let me share another info. On Fb I watched a video which was posted by my school friend. She and her other friends were all involved in organizing the Durga Puja of their club at Jamshedpur. A journalist was interviewing some of the ladies regarding what special thought they have acquired this puja. One of them opined a significant point. She stressed on the fact that Goddesses are worshiped for getting strength, wisdom, money, education and so on. Still, women are the abused lot. Adding to it she said that the gender discrimination will end only when every mother openly suggests that her last rites must be done by her daughter. 

shampasaid

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.