Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

Down south we have absolutely no reference to Lord Rama , Navratri or Dasarah is dedicated solely to Goddess Durga.

Today we have the grand procession. The major roads in the  city  are decked up with flowers and colorful lights. The speciality here is the Pilivesha which is Tiger dance and youngsters dress up in many different costumes and we look forward to see their dances on street corners and at private homes. Today evening , all the veshas gather at the Durga Parameshwari temple and seek her blessings before the statue is taken for jhalaka , which is symbolic bath at the temple pond. The veshas then dance in front of the nine Devi idols where a select audience watch and judge them. Once the competition is done they get ready for the procession on floats , the prize winners carry a banner on their respective floats. All nine idols of the goddess and the floats go on the procession which takes a few hours. Right at the end comes the statue of Durga Parameshwari in a temple chariot. I am told that it would reach close to our place only at 10 pm  and we are planning to go a little earlier since it gets packed . The roads are cleared of traffic since 7 pm and everyone goes and enjoys regardless of religion or caste. Finally at the end of the procession ,bthe nine idols are immersed in the pond and the statue of the goddess is reinstated at an auspicious time normally in the early hours of tomorrow morning. .

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: suni51, Kalyani Nandurkar
usha manohar wrote:

Down south we have absolutely no reference to Lord Rama , Navratri or Dasarah is dedicated solely to Goddess Durga.

Today we have the grand procession. The major roads in the  city  are decked up with flowers and colorful lights. The speciality here is the Pilivesha which is Tiger dance and youngsters dress up in many different costumes and we look forward to see their dances on street corners and at private homes. Today evening , all the veshas gather at the Durga Parameshwari temple and seek her blessings before the statue is taken for jhalaka , which is symbolic bath at the temple pond. The veshas then dance in front of the nine Devi idols where a select audience watch and judge them. Once the competition is done they get ready for the procession on floats , the prize winners carry a banner on their respective floats. All nine idols of the goddess and the floats go on the procession which takes a few hours. Right at the end comes the statue of Durga Parameshwari in a temple chariot. I am told that it would reach close to our place only at 10 pm  and we are planning to go a little earlier since it gets packed . The roads are cleared of traffic since 7 pm and everyone goes and enjoys regardless of religion or caste. Finally at the end of the procession ,bthe nine idols are immersed in the pond and the statue of the goddess is reinstated at an auspicious time normally in the early hours of tomorrow morning. .

We all are worshipping the same Goddess but the ways to celebrate the occasion is so different. Actually, it all depends upon the scriptures we follow. It is said that when Lord Rama was praying to Goddess before attacking Ravana. He needed 108 lotuses but he was one short of it. He was about to donate his one eye to make for that one lotus, Goddess Durga appeared before him and stopped him from taking out his eye. Then Goddess blessed him. It is said that this period is known to be the resting time for Gods and Goddesses. Rama made Durga Ma wake up from sleep and so it is known as Akal Bodhan.

shampasaid

Thank you said by: suni51, usha manohar
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

We all are worshipping the same Goddess but the ways to celebrate the occasion is so different. Actually, it all depends upon the scriptures we follow. It is said that when Lord Rama was praying to Goddess before attacking Ravana. He needed 108 lotuses but he was one short of it. He was about to donate his one eye to make for that one lotus, Goddess Durga appeared before him and stopped him from taking out his eye. Then Goddess blessed him. It is said that this period is known to be the resting time for Gods and Goddesses. Rama made Durga Ma wake up from sleep and so it is known as Akal Bodhan.

I never knew this particular connection of Lord Rama to Navratri. Our mythology is so vast and interesting , and this is the reason I like to celebrate festival s because you realise the richness of the tradition that we have inherited through them.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

I never knew this particular connection of Lord Rama to Navratri. Our mythology is so vast and interesting , and this is the reason I like to celebrate festival s because you realise the richness of the tradition that we have inherited through them.

It is said that Durga Ma comes to her parent's home i.e. on earth during autumn which is celebrated as Durga Puja. In March-April i.e. during spring another Navratra is celebrated. During this festival also Goddess Durga is worshiped but Bengalis address it as Basanti Puja. The name Basanti comes from Basant or Vasant which means spring. This is the main Durga Puja but later on Durga Puja in autumn became more popular.. 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Arunima Singh, usha manohar

It is amazing to know how the different states celebrate the same occasion in different ways. Moreover, we find variations within the same state in different culture and communities. But the common thing being celebration and the victory of good over evil.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

@usha manohar During Basanti Puja that is Spring Durga Puja, the Navami (9th day) is celebrated as Ramnavami. It is the birthday of Lord Rama. So you see, both the Navratras or to say both the Durga Pujas have some connection with Lord Rama.     

shampasaid

Thank you said by: usha manohar
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Happy Navratri and a prosperous Dasara to you all! We celebrated Navami yesterday as Khandenavami, which is the same as Ayudha Pooja here in Maharashtra. All the machinery and equipment in industries are worshipped on Navami day as they are source of earning us. Vijadashami is celebrated to mark the occasion of victory of Lord Shrirama over Ravana and also the victory of the Mother Goddess over the Mahishasura after her nine-day and night war with the demon Mahishasura. We also do Saraswati Pooja on this day and worship books and notebooks as a mark of respect since they are our source of knowledge and learning.

We draw this symbol which stands for Saraswati and worship it with haldi-kumkum and flowers. This symbol is especially drawn on the slates that is used for toddlers when they first start learning to write.

When we do Ayuda Pooja we clean and arrange  tools , instruments and also books . It is such a nice custom. In Karnataka , dolls are arranged , some of these arrangements are awesome, with nature themes or mythological..

usha manohar wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:

Happy Navratri and a prosperous Dasara to you all! We celebrated Navami yesterday as Khandenavami, which is the same as Ayudha Pooja here in Maharashtra. All the machinery and equipment in industries are worshipped on Navami day as they are source of earning us. Vijadashami is celebrated to mark the occasion of victory of Lord Shrirama over Ravana and also the victory of the Mother Goddess over the Mahishasura after her nine-day and night war with the demon Mahishasura. We also do Saraswati Pooja on this day and worship books and notebooks as a mark of respect since they are our source of knowledge and learning.

We draw this symbol which stands for Saraswati and worship it with haldi-kumkum and flowers. This symbol is especially drawn on the slates that is used for toddlers when they first start learning to write.

When we do Ayuda Pooja we clean and arrange  tools , instruments and also books . It is such a nice custom. In Karnataka , dolls are arranged , some of these arrangements are awesome, with nature themes or mythological..

Yes, I have seen such arrangements, they are called Kolu or Golu I think. Even Tamils have them, I saw Kolu first at my one of my Tamil friend's home. Those dolls are so lovely and colorful, passed on from mother to daughter.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

@usha manohar During Basanti Puja that is Spring Durga Puja, the Navami (9th day) is celebrated as Ramnavami. It is the birthday of Lord Rama. So you see, both the Navratras or to say both the Durga Pujas have some connection with Lord Rama.     

I think it comes in the month of chaitra according to Hindu calender. We observe fast and celebrate it as navratri. worshipping the nine forms of Durga.

I am open to experience what life's mystery bag holds for me

www.arunimakunwar.blogspot.in

Arunima Singh wrote:
Shampa Sadhya wrote:

I think it comes in the month of chaitra according to Hindu calender. We observe fast and celebrate it as navratri. worshipping the nine forms of Durga.

Here in Karnataka Ram Navami is celebrated in the month of March, the coming year in 2018 it is on the 25th of March..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.