Yesterday I received a video in WhatsApp. It is in Bengali so I am not sharing it with you. The content of the video is, the popular Bengali ladies raised a few questions such as why women are barred from performing last rites, why mothers are not allowed to witness her son's marriage, why a boy wears shorts is called cool and when a girl wears shorts is said hot, why a girl is asked to prepare a cup of tea while her brother is never asked to do so and so on. Ultimately, the ladies called for, 'let's  not celebrate women's day'. They stated that the day gender bias will be completely wiped out then women's day will be celebrated. 

What's your take on it?

shampasaid

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

I feel that it is precisely because there is discrimination that someone decided to dedicate a day for women. However, I personally do not see the need for it because it does precious little to uplift the fate of rural women and middle class women who are discriminated the most in our society.

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

I personally feel that the celebration of such Days especially Women's Day are becoming to cliched and overrated! It is alright for us to honor and applaud remarkable achievements of women working in various different fields, but in a desperate bid to gain recognition and opportunities for women, we need to also think whether we are honoring the right women or not? and whether men are being ignored too much. Also, just sending a lot of messages on women's day does not really mean that we are making a difference in the quality of life of many women.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

I am in favor of celebrating this day as it brings awareness and if only 5-10 things change due to such celebrations and messages it helps. Nothing changes in a day but everything takes its course. If you would take it positively then you will see things in different prospective. Cheers,,,, and wishing you all ladies a very happy "Women's Day"

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Shampa Sadhya

Making  a woman feel that she is special on one particular day is gender discrimination. There is no such day for men, then, why for women? People should understand that to prosper, women need to be respected. 

shampasaid

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

In fact I wanted to share something here. Lat week , one of my colleague and I had to go to the city corporation on some work . There was a que made up mainly of ladies and we noticed that when a man came in he wd go straight to the clerk and get his work done without joining the que. when it happened twice I went to the clerk and asked him why he was letting those men , knowing fully well that there were several ladies and men too waiting, His answer was, men have urgent work and are busy and cannot wait in ques . I gave him a piece of my mind and thankfully others to joined in..As long as men give themselves this kind of undue  importance, things will never change in our society  

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I feel that though it seems empowering women is the motive of declaring a day in the year as Women's day, it actually becomes the cause of Bias. Everyday should be celebrated and lived without any gender bias.

usha manohar wrote:

In fact I wanted to share something here. Lat week , one of my colleague and I had to go to the city corporation on some work . There was a que made up mainly of ladies and we noticed that when a man came in he wd go straight to the clerk and get his work done without joining the que. when it happened twice I went to the clerk and asked him why he was letting those men , knowing fully well that there were several ladies and men too waiting, His answer was, men have urgent work and are busy and cannot wait in ques . I gave him a piece of my mind and thankfully others to joined in..As long as men give themselves this kind of undue  importance, things will never change in our society  

That was an extreme case of male chauvinism. You were right to protest it. But the fact that the men would go straight to the clerk knowing that their work would be done outright indicates that many men still feels that they are more important than women. Its a disturbing thought.

Here, i would like to add that gender equality needs to be promoted at family level. Usually, discrimination starts at family. Boys are often given more importance which make them chauvinistic

Thank you said by: usha manohar

why do we need a women's day? Every day should be a 'women's day. And in India where Muslim women are totally suppressed and other women discriminated, there is nothing to celebrate.

Shampa Sadhya wrote:

Making  a woman feel that she is special on one particular day is gender discrimination. There is no such day for men, then, why for women? People should understand that to prosper, women need to be respected. 

I am sure you do not put all men in  that category. Being a man I have reasons to believe that at least 50-80% men respect ladies and know their real value. Ladies should come out of their feeling that all men feel they are superior to women. In fact, women has proved that they are no lesser talented or even better in almost every field. I have two examples in my own family my wife and my daughter, both of them are thorough professionals and respected by their coworkers for their efficiency.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

I think that a seperate day is there for celebrating womens day itself tells that there needs to be a bridge of gap that needs to be done between men & women

Anushka sharma rightly written this on international womens day.

"Every step makes a difference when you believe in something strongly and do your bit. It might not show immediately but the results do create a ripple and an impact. To all the women fighting for what they believe in, don't give up,"

Everyday there should be an effort of change that should be put, understanding that needs to come & respect a woman. No work is gender specific in this modern world, it is only we who tend to make it gender specific.

Virat Kohli said this on international womens day

"Men and women aren't equal. I really wish we were. Sexual harassment, discrimination, sexism, domestic abuse and threats of violence. The list goes on. Despite all of this, women rise and shine in all walks of life. Still think they are equal? No, better than equal. To all the women all around the world, I wish you a very happy women's day,"

Indeed these quotes need to be understood in its true sense then can there be any change.

Life is like a boat in a sea, there is a lot to learn, so never close your mind to your limited experiences!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.