Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Arunima Singh wrote:

Oh! I was not aware of this. I felt Guru Purnima is already over. It comes in July or August.

Its happen some time. This day is special day of RSS, Sawam sewak donate on this day to RSS as guru dakshina

arjun sai wrote:

I also want to eat the khir which is kept in moonlight. My mother used to follow this ritual. In Pune this tradition is not followed. Instead people boil some milk on fire outside and drink it here in Pune. I cannot attend this because I have to sleep early due to early morning office. It is said that khir is useful for treatment of various diseases. 

But the tradition is followed in Pune and all over Maharashtra! We do not make kheer but we boil milk and reduce it to make it thicker like rabadi, add sugar, saffron, cardamom and nuts to it. It is then cooled and left outside in moonlight and then consumed after midnight. The idea behind this is that the rays of the moon in this season, which is the sharad rutu, is beneficial for our health as they are cooling and soothing in nature and that property is absorbed by the milk. Also, on the night of Sharad Poornima or as we call it, Kojagiri Poornima, it is said that Goddess Lakshmi goes around the homes at midnight saying "Ko Jagarati" which means, "who is awake?" and she stays back where people are awake and skips those homes where people are asleep.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
arjun sai wrote:

I also want to eat the khir which is kept in moonlight. My mother used to follow this ritual. In Pune this tradition is not followed. Instead people boil some milk on fire outside and drink it here in Pune. I cannot attend this because I have to sleep early due to early morning office. It is said that khir is useful for treatment of various diseases. 

But the tradition is followed in Pune and all over Maharashtra! We do not make kheer but we boil milk and reduce it to make it thicker like rabadi, add sugar, saffron, cardamom and nuts to it. It is then cooled and left outside in moonlight and then consumed after midnight. The idea behind this is that the rays of the moon in this season, which is the sharad rutu, is beneficial for our health as they are cooling and soothing in nature and that property is absorbed by the milk. Also, on the night of Sharad Poornima or as we call it, Kojagiri Poornima, it is said that Goddess Lakshmi goes around the homes at midnight saying "Ko Jagarati" which means, "who is awake?" and she stays back where people are awake and skips those homes where people are asleep.

Rice color is white and its represent Moon. so we make kheer instead of Rabdi. Science also said that rice have starch so it make this kheer healthy.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.