NEW DELHI: A seven-state survey that tracked rural internet awareness shows that about 84% were ignorant of the medium's existence. Of those who make use of the net, 85% access emails, 67% watch video and listen to music and 48% conduct educational research. Interestingly about 13% utilize the internet to know about latest farming techniques and 8% to find about fertilizers.

Primary research also shows that as compared to 2008, there is a 26.7% rise in the number of 'active' rural internet users in 2009: from 3.3 million in 2008 to 4.2 million in 2009. Those who have used the internet once or more in the past one month qualify as "active" users.

Released last month, the report is titled, Internet for Rural India (2009). It is based on research carried out from July to Sept 2009 across seven states: Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Maharashtra, Orissa, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh among 15,000 individuals in villages. Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB International ( Indian Market Research Bureau) conducted the project. "The high percentage of people in rural India who are not aware of internet underlines the need for better infrastructure and schemes like Common Service Centres and State Wide Area Network schemes. Such schemes will go a long way in increasing internet penetration in rural areas," says Subho Ray, president IAMAI, a non-profit industry body.

According to Ray, CSC and cyber cafes are the main access points for rural people. "With the proliferation of initiatives as e-Choupal, Shakti and so on, those who live in rural India have started using the internet appreciably for agriculture-related aspects," says Ray.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
what to comment on this... :(

i think not a good news...government should spread awareness about internet
Its really surprising, i know that the awareness is less, but never thought it is so bad...
I am not particularly surprised as the common masses are too busy in ekeing out a living and simply don't have means and interest to adopt it.
There is nothing surprise incase of villagers ad they are still having many problems which need concentration.
It portrays a shocking scenario for a country which is aspiring to be a super power!!
One thing i am happy about is atleast 13% of the people use internet to learn about advanced farming techniques.
That's hardly comforting! Unless we are able to cast the net wider how can we ensure that fruits of development reach the majority of the people.
Our farmers should work hard to improve the agricultural growth using the advanced technology. :)
This news is not surprising me..Nagalakshmi how does internet can help them to improve agriculture?
sajeetharan wrote:
[quote]This news is not surprising me..Nagalakshmi how does internet can help them to improve agriculture?[/quote]

It can definetely helpful Sajee as our farmers can interact or know more techniques of faming..In foreign country farmers do this activity. But in Indian due to illeratacy and non interest to adopt new techniques most of the farmers are backward..If they really know the advantages of internet their present status will improve a lot.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.