A scholar, musician and a great soul who helped thousands of blind children passed away in Gadag at the age of 97. Gadag is the hometown of famous musicians such as Pt.Bhimsen Joshi, Mallikarjun Mansur & Gangubai Hanagal. Blinded at the age of 6months, Pt. Gavai was an accomplished musician who mastered Sitar & Sarangi, he wrote hundreds of Kritis in Kannada, Hindi & Sanskrit, all in braille, composed music in both Hindustani & Karnatak styles. Most of all the ashram he founded gave life to thousands of blind children.
He was a great soul indeed.
May his soul rest in peace!!.
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
A truly great soul! The world is poorer with the passing away of such a great personality.Here I record my profound respects to him!
he was a great man. He was blind, yet mastered 18 instruments in both Hindustani and carnatic classical!!!
He immortalized himself through his work and future generations would remember him with great respect.
India has lose one of the Great Personality
We have fewer people of this calibre in our midst today and they leave a kind of void which is difficult to fill!
Yes it is a great loss for India. I respect such a great person and pay my tribute to him. Though he is not physical present he will always be the the hearts of his music lovers.
May his soul rest in peace. He is really a good human and indeed a great scholar. :) :)
Rajani K wrote:
[quote]Yes it is a great loss for India. I respect such a great person and pay my tribute to him. Though he is not physical present he will always be the the hearts of his music lovers.[/quote]

Well said Rajani, he would be in our heart
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.