The noted Nobel-laureate economist Prf. Amartya Sen has expressed his very profound disappointment with the world leadership which continues to treat the tragedy in Mynamar with great apathy and he fears that the elections which are due to be held on Nov.7 might be another farce!The Militatry Junta is guilty of heinous human rights crimes and getting away with them!
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Chinmoy,Can you please provide me the link to the whole story? :) :)
Thanks Nagalakshmi for showing interest in this topic! Let me give you a brief account of what is happening in Mynamar which has been under the rule of Military Junta for decades and this regime has been brutally suppressing all democratic movements and the election that was held some years back gave an unequivocal mandate to Ms.Aung San Suii but the Junta set aside the verdict to put her under house arrest for several years from now.The world has largely ignored the plight of Mynamar people under this oppressive military rule and Mr.Sen has just tried to draw the attention of the world.
Now I am able to understand the situation in Myanmar more clearly.Thanks Chinmoy for your good explanation. :) :)
What has emboldened the Military Junta is the fact that it has managed to do business without inviting any international sanctions!
The governments have to go by international norms that do not allow interference in other countries. There is political oppression in Mynamar but that does not justify international intervention. If any country finds that some country is violating the U.N. Charter, U.N.O. is the appropriate forum for raising the matter.
However, the non government organizations and individuals should raise their voice and give whole hearted supported to people of Mynamar fighting for their democratic and human rights. Amartya Sen's warning is very apt and timely.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Actually as neighbours, India should have paid more attention to the plight of Myanmar rather than sending our soldeirs as far as Somalia and Rwanda, Burundi etc. Ms. Aung San Syu Ki had been in jail for many decades and released a few years earlier only to be placed under house arrest again. Despite this, she has put up her undaunted fight for democracy unfailingly, which has earned her brutal beatings at times too. As claimants of a large democracy, we should have given her as much support as we could, which unfortunately have not done. There should be some kind of internation intervention too, but since exonomically Myanmar does not have oil deposits like in Middle East, It has failed to gain sympathy from other countries!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thanks Kayani for giving your views so cogently and in fact what has been left untouched by me has been well covered by you!
I agree with kalyani about the statement of oil deposits...most of the countries are interested in resources rather than humanity...
Non-intervention is in the affairs of a country where its own people feel threatened can not be justified and it sounds morally weak!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.