I come across erroneous uses arising out confusion over these two words! The word 'loose' is an adjective and its verbal form is 'loosen'.In the past participle it is loosened and the word 'lose' is a verb with its noun form 'loss' and past participle form 'lost'. I am lost for words as to why users commit this simple mistake!!{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 5858]}
7_5_139_2012-03-04.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
The mistake reveals carelessness or ignorance. I hope the readers will benefit by this thread.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: chinmoymukherjee
I wouldn't say its ignorance for committing this kind of mistake, but more a lack of understanding. When there are two words that are almost similar in spelling and very similar in its pronunciation, one should attempt to absorb and understand the difference between the two, something that not very care to attempt to.

Which is why loose becomes lose and loss becomes loose and ultimately everything becomes loosened making a reader like me at a loss to understand why! oh why do people write such things? :woohoo:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

[attachment:1]C:\fakepath\crappy-geek-explosion.gif[/attachment]
One needs to understand the shades and nuances of meanings of different words and even the same words acquiring altogether different meanings in different contexts! We can't afford to be that loose in our thoughts and actions!!
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
Both are okay, as long as I do not loose, I don't find it as a loss. What do I Lose any way?
think03_2012-03-04.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 5866]}
Both are okay, as long as I do not loose, I don't find it as a loss. What do Lose any way?
I come across erroneous uses arising out confusion over these two words! The word 'loose' is an adjective and its verbal form is 'loosen'.In the past participle it is loosened and the word 'lose' is a verb with its noun form 'loss' and past participle form 'lost'. I am lost for words as to why users commit this simple mistake!!{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 5858]}

Oh now i understood what can be the effect of an extra "o" in a word its meaning is totally changed. :laugh:

I got it and won't repeat the same mistake in future thanks chinmoy. :)

Oh now i understood what can be the effect of an extra "o" in a word its meaning is totally changed. :laugh:

It's ok! May be some add this extra 'o' to make it our loss too! Just kidding![attachment:1]C:\fakepath\0006.gif[/attachment]

It's ok! May be some add this extra 'o' to make it our loss too! Just kidding![attachment:1]C:\fakepath\0006.gif[/attachment]

May be that extra 'o' makes it look more impressive and forceful. :P
smiley-happy023.gif (You do not have access to download this file.)

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

It's ok! May be some add this extra 'o' to make it our loss too! Just kidding!{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 5946]}

May be that extra 'o' makes it look more impressive and forceful. :P

Hihihi...

And it was so impressive that you caught it..hihihi...

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 5946]}
I wouldn't say its ignorance for committing this kind of mistake, but more a lack of understanding. When there are two words that are almost similar in spelling and very similar in its pronunciation, one should attempt to absorb and understand the difference between the two, something that not very care to attempt to.

Which is why loose becomes lose and loss becomes loose and ultimately everything becomes loosened making a reader like me at a loss to understand why! oh why do people write such things? :woohoo:

What is the difference between 'ignorance' and 'lack of understanding'. If some one does not understand the difference between the two, he is definitely ignorant of correct usage of word. If he is not ignorant, he is careless.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.