Those who want to involve themselves in the profession of writing be it online or offline, one should keep a vigil on the constant changes occurring in the field of language. Because language grows. Language is dynamic. Yesterday's popular word may go into oblivion today. Another important aspect, a language enthusiast must look into is the origin of the words

Here are a couple of words that owe their origin to some persons.
Lucullus, a distinguished Roman general is well known for his fondness towards rich and luxurious food. Suppose if my friend Sunil always insists on luxurious and rich food, a writer can describe Sunil as "Sunil is a Lucullan."

Similarly, take the case of Jean Martinet, a strict drill master in the army of Louis XIV. Again I use Sunil for my example. If Sunil is a Task master, I can say , "Sunil is a Martinet."
[/size][/size][/sup][/size]
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I agree. I have a unique dictionary tracing origin of words unlike normal dictionaries. If we understand how a word originated, we can understand the meaning better. For example, thee is a disease ' dementia'. This is mental disorder relating to forgetfulness and other matters. The word is derived from Latin. 'De' means 'without' 'Men' means 'mind'. Thus dementia means 'mindless' . Similarly, the proverbs have some origin or story behind e.g. Damocles Sword. apple of discord.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
Exactly that's what i mean. Genesis of a word will ,lead to a wealth of words. This in its turn enriches your vocabulary.
Many words are formed from mythological names. Herculean task is one. Shylock was a character in Shakespeare drama. Shylock is thus a word to describe cruel money lender for whom only interest is significant and greed is endless. Mirjafar is used for all traitors.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
ACHILLES heel is another example
This is another good thread.
Yes language keeps on changing. It makes people feel interested in listening others. We want something good and new in every field. Development is everywhere be it in the field of science or economics. Why language should keep behind?
"Hi dude !"
Such exclaimation was never used in the era of Alexander or Hitler or Akbar.
How true !. Language evolves.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.