Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Yes I also faced this problem many times.Sometimes I also forget the easy spellings and I had to find that correct spelling.

I am sure, many of us go through such a phase at one point of time. However, a word processor like Word is very handy. It is also a great time saving measure.
I am very poor in spellings. My handwriting is very poor as well. Now I don't write and instead use only computer key board. The spell check in word system is of great help. Now poor hand writing is also no issue. But when I wrote, poor handwriting was also an advantage. Even if I spelled wrong, nobody would find this out obviously because of poor handwriting. This was a blessing in disguise.

I remember an anecdote. I retired voluntarily government job and commenced share broker business.in 1991. I hired a cabin in Sanjay Place, a prominent business area in Agra. I was given facility of a computer typist. I gave him something to type. He typed wrongly and on questioning he blamed my poor handwriting. Then i wrote in capital letters and again he failed. Then I gave him a dictation and he again failed. Then I told him that not my poor handwriting but his bad English was culprit.

What you mentioned in your first paragraph about not being able to find the spelling mistakes is a joke I heard at many places on TV and read in various newspapers and magazines. So you have literally lived that joke :laugh:
And yes, it was good reading about your firsthand experience with the dictation.

Really, I am not joking. Many colleagues would make joke with me. I got first position in an exam. My friends joked that the examiner could not read well and hence gave more marks giving me benefit of doubt.

I know that you are not joking. But I was wondering how life gives us all the good and the bad experiences. And yes, there are some amusing and spicy experiences as well.

Anyway, bad handwriting is a drawback. We need to be aware of this and reduce this as far as possible. Hence, I usually type instead of writing. even when I write, I use either capital letters or ensure that every alphabet is clearly seen. For this I give more space between alphabets. This makes my writing legible and the reader is not put to inconvenience.

That's rightly said. And as you are a tax consultant, you may always need to write things related to your work. I suggest you hire someone to work for you (how about me? ;) )

I never write. I always use computer direct. I use pen only for bank pay min slip or writing cheque.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Have you ever been in such a funny situation ever - The other day when I was teaching my students, I suddenly forgot the spelling of "first". I thought it was "frist" and not "first". I wrote "frist". It was embarrassing to know that I misspelt it when I referred. I was very uncomfortable checking for the right spelling in front of the students.

It can happen, not with simple words but others ...like once I wrote Dairy while discussing about a blog and later was embarrassed when it was pointed out and changed the spelling to Diary...we do it unconsciously I guess ! Many people fumble with words like ought and thought ...

"Though", "Thought", "Thorough", "Weather", "Whether" are some words that are often spelled in the wrong way. The example I gave of "First" and "Frist" is one such for me.

absence – absense, absance, achieve – acheive are some of the words often misspelled.
Have you ever been in such a funny situation ever - The other day when I was teaching my students, I suddenly forgot the spelling of "first". I thought it was "frist" and not "first". I wrote "frist". It was embarrassing to know that I misspelt it when I referred. I was very uncomfortable checking for the right spelling in front of the students.

It can happen, not with simple words but others ...like once I wrote Dairy while discussing about a blog and later was embarrassed when it was pointed out and changed the spelling to Diary...we do it unconsciously I guess ! Many people fumble with words like ought and thought ...

"Though", "Thought", "Thorough", "Weather", "Whether" are some words that are often spelled in the wrong way. The example I gave of "First" and "Frist" is one such for me.

absence – absense, absance, achieve – acheive are some of the words often misspelled.

Absence and absense, can be identify by the software like office. But not for words mentioned like weather and whether, people makes mistakes often.

ANDROIOS: http://androios-tweaks.blogspot.com
I am very poor in spellings. My handwriting is very poor as well. Now I don't write and instead use only computer key board. The spell check in word system is of great help. Now poor hand writing is also no issue. But when I wrote, poor handwriting was also an advantage. Even if I spelled wrong, nobody would find this out obviously because of poor handwriting. This was a blessing in disguise.

I remember an anecdote. I retired voluntarily government job and commenced share broker business.in 1991. I hired a cabin in Sanjay Place, a prominent business area in Agra. I was given facility of a computer typist. I gave him something to type. He typed wrongly and on questioning he blamed my poor handwriting. Then i wrote in capital letters and again he failed. Then I gave him a dictation and he again failed. Then I told him that not my poor handwriting but his bad English was culprit.

What you mentioned in your first paragraph about not being able to find the spelling mistakes is a joke I heard at many places on TV and read in various newspapers and magazines. So you have literally lived that joke :laugh:
And yes, it was good reading about your firsthand experience with the dictation.

Really, I am not joking. Many colleagues would make joke with me. I got first position in an exam. My friends joked that the examiner could not read well and hence gave more marks giving me benefit of doubt.

I know that you are not joking. But I was wondering how life gives us all the good and the bad experiences. And yes, there are some amusing and spicy experiences as well.

Anyway, bad handwriting is a drawback. We need to be aware of this and reduce this as far as possible. Hence, I usually type instead of writing. even when I write, I use either capital letters or ensure that every alphabet is clearly seen. For this I give more space between alphabets. This makes my writing legible and the reader is not put to inconvenience.

That's rightly said. And as you are a tax consultant, you may always need to write things related to your work. I suggest you hire someone to work for you (how about me? ;) )

I never write. I always use computer direct. I use pen only for bank pay min slip or writing cheque.

Then that's good for you. You can avoid writing directly as much as you can. This means you write only when it is necessary, not always.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

Absence and absense, can be identify by the software like office. But not for words mentioned like weather and whether, people makes mistakes often.

And did you notice one thing. "whether" does not show any synonyms when you right click on it. "Absence" and "absense" - the "c" and "s" do change according to the meaning in the sentence - the noun and the verb.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.