Dear Friends,:) :)

We often hear the words 'I like to have......' or 'I would like to have....";but we get confused as to what kind it applies. We end up saying 'I like to have some apples' which in turn should be 'I would like to have some apples'.let us check where we can distinguish the words in usage

'I Like'

The word 'like' is used when there is Plural Count nouns and uncountable nouns.Here,no article is attached.

Examples-
(Count Nouns)
[li]I Like apples
I Like Bananas
I Like peaches[/li]

(uncountable Nouns)
[li]I Like Milk
I like coffee
I like tea
I like rice[/li]

I like + plural count noun
I like + uncountable noun

[Don't say 'I like a banana'!!!!! :D ]

'I would like'

The word 'would like' is used in both singular and plural count nouns along with addition of article and the word 'some'.It is also used when there is uncountable nouns

Examples-
(count nouns singular)
[li]I would like a banana
I would like an apple
I would like a peach
I would like a pen
I would like a balloon[/li]

(count nouns plural)
[li]I would like some bananas
I would like some apples
I would like some peaches
I would like some pens
I would like some balloons[/li]

(Uncountable nouns)
[li]I would like some tea
I would like some rice
I would like some water
I would like some money[/li]

I would like +article(a/an) + singular count noun
I would like + some + plural count noun
I would like + some + uncountable noun

The same rule is applied even when refering to another person or a group of people

[li]She like apples
She would like an apple
They like Chinese food
They would like some Chinese food
You like milk
Would you like some milk?[/li]

Here are a few more examples showing the usage of the words 'Like' and 'would like'

Please note:
Count Nouns:They are the nouns that can be 'counted' or which,the number is known.
Ex-Apples in your hand,Pens in your box,etc

Uncountable Nouns:They are the nouns that cannot be 'counted' or which the quantity is not known.
Ex-money in someone's purse,milk,rice,etc.
+
likewouldlik2.jpg (You do not have access to download this file.)
likewouldlike1.jpg (You do not have access to download this file.)

Swetha Shenoy
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
@Swetha, that's very useful information you have given in this thread. it will help us all very much! :) :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

yes Kalyani,I am sure it would!

I hope that through the threads ,at least one person's English speaking would improve!!!

:)

Swetha Shenoy
really Its a good imformation...

Keep posting such...

thanks for this
Yes, Swetha, :) I think even if one person learns from this, it would be well worth the effort!! But unfortunately now with so many games going on, there are hardly any responses to good and serious dicussions!!

:( :huh: :dry:

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

That is not a problem Kalyani,a day will come when everyone playing games will be bored and they will switch over to such forums where they are bound to widen their horizon of knowledge! Who knows,even there are people who do not participate in games but only read the forums?

I will try and try till I succeed!!!! :) :D

Swetha Shenoy
Thanks Swetha for the information..I think lot of things are not followed correctly due to American and British english clash..In british english these rules are to be strictly followed...

I also feel that as articles are mostly submitted in word document sometimes even if we use correct grammar it is change automatically according to American english(As word is on of the product of USA) ;) :laugh:

I still find it difficult to use some words like colour which changes to color(american spelling)... :dry: Dont understand which one to use :cheer: :)
Very good explanation. Well framed to make it easy to understand. :)
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.