Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

No wonder wren and martin oozes out of every post of yours ...Wow !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

That's offensive..........To Wren and Martingrimacing

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” 

Oscar Wilde

Abhishek Sharma wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

That's offensive..........To Wren and Martingrimacing

Both are probably turning in their respective graves!! japanese_ogre

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

One need not worry with spell checkers around. 

Unfortunately papers are not provided with spell checkers & we are still dependent on paper and pen for formal communications. That's why I feel that one should not ignore the problem of poor spelling.

I agree totally Jabeen. Also, the big problem in the youngsters that I see today is that, because of their dependence on ready online dictionary and spellcheckers, they fail to grasp in depth knowledge of grammar and its usage and end up using wrong words in wrong or irrelevant places. Using spellcheckers if fine to quickly scan and check a document for errors, but it does not do much to help a person write a paper or document efficiently enough.

Absolutely true. Even I find the same issue with my students. Quite a few of them tend to use wrong words in the wrong place and then complain that I haven't given marks for the correct answers. Its only when I explain the difference in the meaning of the words, they accept their mistake.

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar
jabeen wrote:
Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
jabeen wrote:
vijay wrote:

One need not worry with spell checkers around. 

Unfortunately papers are not provided with spell checkers & we are still dependent on paper and pen for formal communications. That's why I feel that one should not ignore the problem of poor spelling.

I agree totally Jabeen. Also, the big problem in the youngsters that I see today is that, because of their dependence on ready online dictionary and spellcheckers, they fail to grasp in depth knowledge of grammar and its usage and end up using wrong words in wrong or irrelevant places. Using spellcheckers if fine to quickly scan and check a document for errors, but it does not do much to help a person write a paper or document efficiently enough.

Absolutely true. Even I find the same issue with my students. Quite a few of them tend to use wrong words in the wrong place and then complain that I haven't given marks for the correct answers. Its only when I explain the difference in the meaning of the words, they accept their mistake.

Reminds me, the other day while browsing through a second hand book stall I happened to see a dictionary , the usual pirated edition. I looked through it and the print mistake or spelling mistake was really something. Jaggery was spelt joggary and so on..I showed it to the owner and he immediately picked the few of the books and put them away ...Wonder how many more of those are still in circulation?

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Here's a funny incident....

Yesterday only, I saw a post on facebook wishing Sachin Tendulkar on his Birthday. I was shocked to read the caption which said "Sachin is undoubtedly the GOAT" and what confused me more was that everyone seemed to agree with this statement. Later when I tried to search about it on Google, then only I realized that GOAT is an abbreviation for "Greatest Of All Time".astonished

Whole new level of ridiculous acronyms!!!

“There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.” 

Oscar Wilde

Really. I too don't know GOAT is the abbreviated form Greatest of all Time.

These abbreviated forms confuse, but they evoke laughter at times.

Abhishek Sharma wrote:

Yesterday only, I saw a post on facebook wishing Sachin Tendulkar on his Birthday. I was shocked to read the caption which said "Sachin is undoubtedly the GOAT" and what confused me more was that everyone seemed to agree with this statement. Later when I tried to search about it on Google, then only I realized that GOAT is an abbreviation for "Greatest Of All Time".astonished

It really is ridiculous ..Can't the person see that he or she is making an utter fools of themselves in their effort to look mod or with it r whatever it is they want to prove !!

usha manohar wrote:
Abhishek Sharma wrote:

It really is ridiculous ..Can't the person see that he or she is making an utter fools of themselves in their effort to look mod or with it r whatever it is they want to prove !!

These so called "progressive" people should be congratulated for saving roughly 0.000004 Joules of energy and 1 or 2 seconds of their time by using abbreviations in every sentence.

Not to mention the confusion they've caused in the listener's mind.

Oscar Wilde

Abhishek Sharma wrote:

That is really funny and annoying at the same time! People might find it funny but to term someone like Sachin as a GOAT , albeit for the right reasons, is just too much! I wonder why there is a need to be always in so much hurry!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: rambabu
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.