Features of Indian English

Indian English referes to dialects or varieties of English spoken primarily in India and also by Indian diaspora elsewhere In the world. Due to British colonialism for over two hundered years’ as weare used more to British English than to American,Australian ir Canadian English. And due to the presence of vernacular languages in our country,English was choosen to be the co-official language of the union of India. Our obvious choice is one of the varieties of British English; which educated southern British English also called as “Received Pronounciation”

The reasons for these variations are:
•The presence of many vernacular languages
•People learn their mother Language first
•By the time they start learning English,they find it difficult to follow that pronounciation
•They have in them very strongly formed linguistic habits that interface with their learning English
•The phonological system of the mother tongue will have an influence on the phonology of their English

Because of these reasons, Indian English has emerged as another variety of English just like the American, South African,etc,with its own distinctive features.

(Diaspora: the movement of people from any nation or group away from their own country)

Since there are several languages spoken in India,there cannot strictly speaking,be something called French English or German English;instead we have a variety of English spoken in India,such as Tamil English, kannada English, Malayalam English,Telugu English, etc

Basing on these varieties,the feature of Indian English can be grouped under phonological and grammatical features.

GRAMMATICAL FEATURES:

•The progressive tense in stative verbs “I am understanding it”,”she is knowing it” instead of “I understand” “She knows”.This is influence of Hindi grammar.It is common in Northern States.

•The usage of “isnt it”, “no”, “na”, as tag questions;like “you are going,isnt it?”,”I am going,no?”,”she likes it,na?” instead of “you are going,arent you”,”I am going” and “does she like it?”

•Use of’ yaar,ma ,cha,abey,aray’, in english conversation by many of native hindi speakers. The use of the word ‘da,dai,re,ra’ are commonly found in the speakers of south India

•Use of the word ‘ki’ to mean,loosely that such as in “what I mean is ki she is going to adopt her”

•Use of ‘off it’ or ‘on it’ instead of ‘switch it on’ or ‘switch it off’

•Use of ‘current went’ and ‘current came’ instead of ‘power came back’ and ‘power went out’

•Use of the word ‘wallah’ to denote occupation as in ‘the taxi wallah over charged me’ ‘the grocery wallah sold me good grains’

•Over use of the words ‘generally’,’basically’,’actually’,’obviously’ at the beginning of the sentence,like ‘actually, I am not feeling well today’,’generally india will win the match today’

•Use of ‘he is older to me’ instead of ‘he is older than me’

•Usage of ‘out of hundred’ instead of percent,like ‘he got hundred out of hundred’ or’ sixty out of hundred’.the correct usage must be ‘he got a one hundred percent’ or ‘he got a hundred’

Swetha Shenoy
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I just wanna make sure whether something is right with the way I speak english....

Basically I've a problem with the letter "R" , you know 'cause I pronounce R like a native English men.....you know

My friends have advised me to speak in normal Indian english....and tell not to be a show off( ofcourse I'm not a show off) and not only R, lots of words.....Its just Like the words flow in my mind are from the English movies I've seen earlier

Its just that I naturally pronounce R in that way......so help me

Is it ok to continue like that?
Do i have to change?
and your suggestions?
:)

Well,Rajkumar,you are already speaking in the normal way!

About the "r" ,if we expand r like in "rrr" then people consider us to be from 'village' and if we cut short 'r' then they consider us to be 'posh'

What we can do is,we can do is that we can use the word 'r' like the Americans use,they say 'hw r u',we say 'how are you',we expand everything,Americans swallow up few letters like 'o' as in 'how','r'

Infact if we speak "I am going to college today" they speak "I m going to college todie"
:) :)

otherwise,everything else is normal :D

Swetha Shenoy
Dear GM :-)
please clear my doubt . Spelling mistake is important or not ?

Hai Sudi

In "spoken English" it is not important but for "written English" it is a must.

sometimes people write "bowel" instead of "bowl"

and "embrace" instead of "embarrass" :D

while speaking,you can understand what you are saying

for example,you can say "Reign" and "Rain" which sounds similar,right?

Swetha Shenoy
Sudi,

you can even check this thread errors and corrections

:)

Swetha Shenoy
Thanks GM. I read a paragraph in news paper. I'll add it .

It is okay you know the correct usage. However conversation is for exchange of ideas. So you have to adjust with your friends and companions and speak as they prefer. It is no use speaking correctly when others do not appreciate. It is foolish to be wise where ignorance is the bliss.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

hi,

according to me the best way to know is through the english accent. Indian people pronounce each and every alphabet in indian way whereas abroad english they put more importance on the vowels so wenever they speak they put more stress on the vowels As my aunt is from U.S.A the communication is same but the way of speaking is different
Oh...So there is Indian English also.Very good.But as Sudhi asked regarding spelling which English we have to follow? Indian,British,American or South African?

Visit my blogs:

http://abidareacode.blogspot.com
Some of the participatants write "I am agree" whereas the correct sentence is "I agree." Apparently, this is literal translation of Hindi sentence- "Main sahmat hoon" I for 'main', am for 'hoon' and agree for 'sahmat'.
I request always say- I agree and not I am agree.
Anoter usage- Instead of 'I view differently' many say- "I have different view." Though both are correct, the second is literal translation and hence this is Indian English. There are many such examples.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.