Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
While one is writing for Indian sites exclusively and that too on general subjects, language consisting words from Victorian English would attract lesser viewers or they will change the page as soon as they would read a few lines. Our site caters mainly for Indians, 98% of its viewers are from India and 2% come from other countries mostly from the US, those again like to read simple English.

The fact of the matter remains that the very concept of simplicity is person specific and even Americans whom you claim to be lovers of simple English language express themselves in literature and films in not so simple language!!!

I agree but we have boddunan in question here and most of our articles are related with local themes. I again agree with you that while an author is writing about subjects related to literature etc he must use a befitting language.

The issue of local themes reminds me of writing of Indian author Mulk Raj Anand whose style is unique, inimitable and bears stamp of Indian environment.

Him and Chetan Bhagat who can write far better than the language he uses to write his books just to give it a local touch and slang used by Indian middle class. I know most people who would go for 'praises' for a C class foreign author would find Bhagat as 'low and no use' who is writing 'trash' in their views. I know some people love everything imported although they are neither here nor there..

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Oh! Yes Sir, i got only a single article rejected.I don't know why.But later i improved myself and my articles got approval.
Oh! Yes Sir, i got only a single article rejected.I don't know why.But later i improved myself and my articles got approval.

Learning from mistakes and improvising constantly in tune with the fast changing literary trends is a trait that fetches good results. Added to this ,If you can add the local flavor to your article, it will be an added advantage.
Thank you said by: suni51
While one is writing for Indian sites exclusively and that too on general subjects, language consisting words from Victorian English would attract lesser viewers or they will change the page as soon as they would read a few lines. Our site caters mainly for Indians, 98% of its viewers are from India and 2% come from other countries mostly from the US, those again like to read simple English.

The fact of the matter remains that the very concept of simplicity is person specific and even Americans whom you claim to be lovers of simple English language express themselves in literature and films in not so simple language!!!

I agree with you ! What matters is the confidence with which you are able to express yourself and are able to put forth your thoughts in print ! I also feel that we need to constantly improvise and experiment otherwise we will be stuck in a grove using the same words ,phrases and sentences ...

I have a feeling as has been rightly pointed by Gulshanji that the writing style too has an evolutionary course. A style evolves over a period of time. Call it simple, complex or whatsoever, no writer ever remains conscious of simplicity or complexity as long as his or her lucidity of thoughts on different subjects choose their own grammar and vocabulary. Be these Han Anderson's fairy tales or Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion or Shakespeare works - never will you find any obtrusive desire to be simple or complex!! All they were natural. I firmly believe it is very difficult to deceive readers. If I am concealing my poverty content-wise with plain verbosity and pomposity - I am in for it!!!!

I agree with you ! What matters is the confidence with which you are able to express yourself and are able to put forth your thoughts in print ! I also feel that we need to constantly improvise and experiment otherwise we will be stuck in a grove using the same words ,phrases and sentences ...

There is also another aspect to it, language is indeed evolving constantly and those that do not accept changes are destined to die out gradually. But then when we keep talking about keeping it simple and plain, aren't we killing exactly the thing that makes the language, and consequently a particular culture rich?? So my take is, keep it simple for dummies, (like so many books of the kind that meant for real dummies) but let it remain complex and verbose for those who wish to keep their grey cells active and working!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

I have a feeling as has been rightly pointed by Gulshanji that the writing style too has an evolutionary course. A style evolves over a period of time. Call it simple, complex or whatsoever, no writer ever remains conscious of simplicity or complexity as long as his or her lucidity of thoughts on different subjects choose their own grammar and vocabulary. Be these Han Anderson's fairy tales or Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion or Shakespeare works - never will you find any obtrusive desire to be simple or complex!! All they were natural. I firmly believe it is very difficult to deceive readers. If I am concealing my poverty content-wise with plain verbosity and pomposity - I am in for it!!!!

I agree with you, they were natural and they were natural because English was their mother tongue, i would like to see them as natural if they ever wrote a para in my my mother tongue! :whistle:

I agree with you, they were natural and they were natural because English was their mother tongue, i would like to see them as natural if they ever wrote a para in my my mother tongue! :whistle:

If you speak or write fluently without having to pause for words, your language is natural even if this is not mother tongue.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

That exactly is the point, we need no comparisons with Shakespeare and his community, every one knows his limits and remains within them. Cheers, I have my own limits and do not want to cross them, because I want to remain what I am.

I don't know if Shaw would have failed to produce the same naturalness had he decided to write it in any other language but there are examples galore of immortal successes achieved by non-native English writers. What about Joseph Conrad the Polish author who picked up English much later yet produced some immortal classics in English?? What about our very own, Mulk Raj Anand, R.K.Narayan, Nirodh Chowdhuri, Khushwant Singh and a host of others who competed with the very best and a few of them even won international laurels like Pulitzer, Bookers etc. If Vikram Seth, Anita Desai, Amitava Ghosh could so brilliantly succeed I don't see any reason for native English writers being as natural in any other language. In this context I remember J.L. Nehru's advice to be bi or multi-lingual to acquire greater mastery of one's language.

I don't know if Shaw would have failed to produce the same naturalness had he decided to write it in any other language but there are examples galore of immortal successes achieved by non-native English writers. What about Joseph Conrad the Polish author who picked up English much later yet produced some immortal classics in English?? What about our very own, Mulk Raj Anand, R.K.Narayan, Nirodh Chowdhuri, Khushwant Singh and a host of others who competed with the very best and a few of them even won international laurels like Pulitzer, Bookers etc. If Vikram Seth, Anita Desai, Amitava Ghosh could so brilliantly succeed I don't see any reason for native English writers being as natural in any other language. In this context I remember J.L. Nehru's advice to be bi or multi-lingual to acquire greater mastery of one's language.

I again agree with you but none of the ones mentioned is an English (native) who wrote in other languages but all in English language. There are hundreds of thousands who can write good English but almost none from native English writers who can write in other languages. That was my point when I wrote that particular post.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.