Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
While one is writing for Indian sites exclusively and that too on general subjects, language consisting words from Victorian English would attract lesser viewers or they will change the page as soon as they would read a few lines. Our site caters mainly for Indians, 98% of its viewers are from India and 2% come from other countries mostly from the US, those again like to read simple English.

The fact of the matter remains that the very concept of simplicity is person specific and even Americans whom you claim to be lovers of simple English language express themselves in literature and films in not so simple language!!!

I agree with you ! What matters is the confidence with which you are able to express yourself and are able to put forth your thoughts in print ! I also feel that we need to constantly improvise and experiment otherwise we will be stuck in a grove using the same words ,phrases and sentences ...

I have a feeling as has been rightly pointed by Gulshanji that the writing style too has an evolutionary course. A style evolves over a period of time. Call it simple, complex or whatsoever, no writer ever remains conscious of simplicity or complexity as long as his or her lucidity of thoughts on different subjects choose their own grammar and vocabulary. Be these Han Anderson's fairy tales or Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion or Shakespeare works - never will you find any obtrusive desire to be simple or complex!! All they were natural. I firmly believe it is very difficult to deceive readers. If I am concealing my poverty content-wise with plain verbosity and pomposity - I am in for it!!!!

I agree with you, they were natural and they were natural because English was their mother tongue, i would like to see them as natural if they ever wrote a para in my my mother tongue! :whistle:

I don't know if Shaw would have failed to produce the same naturalness had he decided to write it in any other language but there are examples galore of immortal successes achieved by non-native English writers. What about Joseph Conrad the Polish author who picked up English much later yet produced some immortal classics in English?? What about our very own, Mulk Raj Anand, R.K.Narayan, Nirodh Chowdhuri, Khushwant Singh and a host of others who competed with the very best and a few of them even won international laurels like Pulitzer, Bookers etc. If Vikram Seth, Anita Desai, Amitava Ghosh could so brilliantly succeed I don't see any reason for native English writers being as natural in any other language. In this context I remember J.L. Nehru's advice to be bi or multi-lingual to acquire greater mastery of one's language.

I again agree with you but none of the ones mentioned is an English (native) who wrote in other languages but all in English language. There are hundreds of thousands who can write good English but almost none from native English writers who can write in other languages. That was my point when I wrote that particular post.

My earlier reply does cover it in a subtle manner. If non-native could achieve this feat , is there any scope for harboring doubts about them? The reason might have been the role ,place and importance of English as a powerful international language which could be the possible reason for their not venturing in any other language.
While one is writing for Indian sites exclusively and that too on general subjects, language consisting words from Victorian English would attract lesser viewers or they will change the page as soon as they would read a few lines. Our site caters mainly for Indians, 98% of its viewers are from India and 2% come from other countries mostly from the US, those again like to read simple English.

The fact of the matter remains that the very concept of simplicity is person specific and even Americans whom you claim to be lovers of simple English language express themselves in literature and films in not so simple language!!!

I agree with you ! What matters is the confidence with which you are able to express yourself and are able to put forth your thoughts in print ! I also feel that we need to constantly improvise and experiment otherwise we will be stuck in a grove using the same words ,phrases and sentences ...

I have a feeling as has been rightly pointed by Gulshanji that the writing style too has an evolutionary course. A style evolves over a period of time. Call it simple, complex or whatsoever, no writer ever remains conscious of simplicity or complexity as long as his or her lucidity of thoughts on different subjects choose their own grammar and vocabulary. Be these Han Anderson's fairy tales or Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion or Shakespeare works - never will you find any obtrusive desire to be simple or complex!! All they were natural. I firmly believe it is very difficult to deceive readers. If I am concealing my poverty content-wise with plain verbosity and pomposity - I am in for it!!!!

I agree with you, they were natural and they were natural because English was their mother tongue, i would like to see them as natural if they ever wrote a para in my my mother tongue! :whistle:

I don't know if Shaw would have failed to produce the same naturalness had he decided to write it in any other language but there are examples galore of immortal successes achieved by non-native English writers. What about Joseph Conrad the Polish author who picked up English much later yet produced some immortal classics in English?? What about our very own, Mulk Raj Anand, R.K.Narayan, Nirodh Chowdhuri, Khushwant Singh and a host of others who competed with the very best and a few of them even won international laurels like Pulitzer, Bookers etc. If Vikram Seth, Anita Desai, Amitava Ghosh could so brilliantly succeed I don't see any reason for native English writers being as natural in any other language. In this context I remember J.L. Nehru's advice to be bi or multi-lingual to acquire greater mastery of one's language.

I again agree with you but none of the ones mentioned is an English (native) who wrote in other languages but all in English language. There are hundreds of thousands who can write good English but almost none from native English writers who can write in other languages. That was my point when I wrote that particular post.

My earlier reply does cover it in a subtle manner. If non-native could achieve this feat , is there any scope for harboring doubts about them? The reason might have been the role ,place and importance of English as a powerful international language which could be the possible reason for their not venturing in any other language.

That's what my point was, everyone tries to master the art of writing in English but we have two of our languages which have more speakers than English, one of them is Bangla and other Hindi, but no one seems to talk about them leave apart being proud about them. Cheers. (by the way, this discussion is not on personal level as you might be too proud of your mother tongue and rightly so, besides both these languages have tons of quality literature)

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Good writers strive to be understood rather than admired. A good writing should be able to lift me bodily in to the pages of the book. Whenever I open R.K. Narayan,s Malgudi days, I'll be bodily lifted to Makgudi.

That sums it up accurately ! That is the reason why people want to learn and master the English language because of its many advantages ! In fact in India it can easily be called as the first language because one can getby anywhere by knowing Englissh but not other languages including Hindi which , although is the national language is not spoken in the southern staes...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: chinmoymukherjee

That sums it up accurately ! That is the reason why people want to learn and master the English language because of its many advantages ! In fact in India it can easily be called as the first language because one can getby anywhere by knowing Englissh but not other languages including Hindi which , although is the national language is not spoken in the southern staes...

Hindi is not the national language. This is just official language of the union along with English as associate official language. English and Hindi both are link languages. English is used more for technical, business, legal purposes and hence is essential for success in career.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar

Hindi is not the national language. This is just official language of the union along with English as associate official language. English and Hindi both are link languages. English is used more for technical, business, legal purposes and hence is essential for success in career.

Thats right Hindi is not the national language , I googled and got this information as well...But most Indians seem to think so for some reason ..
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/hindi-not-a-national-language-court/article94695.ece

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thats right Hindi is not the national language , I googled and got this information as well...But most Indians seem to think so for some reason ..
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/hindi-not-a-national-language-court/article94695.ece

That is a common misconception for which we do not who should be blamed for it has been wrongly taught in schools for so many years, but the fact is that each single language is important than just one Hindi language.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar

I am not really aware of any foreign writers who wrote in any Indian languages that could be classified as literature or not, but I do know of one lady Maxine Berntsen, from America who has moved to Phaltan, Maharashtra in early 1960s after she fell in love with Marathi and has learned it extremely well. She has co-authored 10 books in Marathi and has developed an excellent learning module to teach children. There are many more like her who have learned Marathi as well as their own mother tongues, some of who have done extensive researches on the vast saint literature that exists in Marathi.

http://india.ashoka.org/fellow/maxine-bernstein

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

That is a common misconception for which we do not who should be blamed for it has been wrongly taught in schools for so many years, but the fact is that each single language is important than just one Hindi language.

Yes, it is a misconception bred not for nothing! Thanks to the efforts of Hindi zealots such misconceptions are there. I honestly believe that Hindi would have enjoyed far greater acceptability if these zealots restrained themselves in arrogantly imposing it on the nation which logically met stiff resistance from the people of the South and has become a political issue.
Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

That's what my point was, everyone tries to master the art of writing in English but we have two of our languages which have more speakers than English, one of them is Bangla and other Hindi, but no one seems to talk about them leave apart being proud about them. Cheers. (by the way, this discussion is not on personal level as you might be too proud of your mother tongue and rightly so, besides both these languages have tons of quality literature)

@Sunil

As a Bengali I love my language as any rational Bengali would the same way a Malayali loves Malyalam or any person loving his or her mother tongue but I take special care never to allow it border on linguistic jingoism. Rabindranath Tagore invited different language-speaking at his Santiniketan to celebrate mother tongue! I am not proud but love is there all the time!!
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.