Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
usha manohar wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

What I have learned from some philosophical books regarding the evolution of mantras is as follows:

A mantra is a sacred word or words discovered by the ancient sages in a state of super-consciousness. Mantras when uttered produce sacred sounds and every sound is responsible for a particular form. In creation, sound precedes form. 

Mantras exist both in subtle state and in gross state, depending on the degree of vibration of its sound. Normally, we can hear only gross sounds. But the sages with spiritual practice could hear them or ‘see’ them in their subtle state (and hence sages are called ‘Seers’). In the super-conscious state the sages heard or ‘saw’ these subtle mantras and their meaning had been revealed to them.  When they returned to their conscious state, they remembered these mantras and taught to their disciples, insisting them the repetition of mantras so that they can also reach the super-conscious state in which the mantras were revealed.

That sums it up beautifully ! To add on - the great benefit of chanting the mantras is 1, building self discipline in children and secondly, the chanting and the words and the pronunciations themselves activate certain nerve endings thereby making a person totally aware of his surroundings and self - Like I heard one of our renowned godmen say in one of his discourses  " Mantras are like  oil or fuel , much like an engine , that a soul needs to perform to its optimum capacity . because uttering them touches those parts of our soul that may be in deep slumber !

Shana sez: I think this line, 'and the pronunciations themselves activate certain nerve endings thereby making a person totally aware of his surroundings and self'  calls for some deep reflection. 

Today I'm going to be the person walking around with a hammer to break someone's heart with, because its Valentine's Day

SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

What I have learned from some philosophical books regarding the evolution of mantras is as follows:

A mantra is a sacred word or words discovered by the ancient sages in a state of super-consciousness. Mantras when uttered produce sacred sounds and every sound is responsible for a particular form. In creation, sound precedes form. 

Mantras exist both in subtle state and in gross state, depending on the degree of vibration of its sound. Normally, we can hear only gross sounds. But the sages with spiritual practice could hear them or ‘see’ them in their subtle state (and hence sages are called ‘Seers’). In the super-conscious state the sages heard or ‘saw’ these subtle mantras and their meaning had been revealed to them.  When they returned to their conscious state, they remembered these mantras and taught to their disciples, insisting them the repetition of mantras so that they can also reach the super-conscious state in which the mantras were revealed.

Shana sez: Yes exactly. I do meditation so I understand this perfectly. In fact I have had a Kundalini rising so I'm with it every day. Though I am not saintly for most of the time! But I want to dig even deeper. I've already written a book about my Kundalini experience. It's with the publisher, and it is a constantly evolving process. I have actually seen the light form of the Kundalini with my naked eyes, when I was wide awake. It was a most surreal and I was happy to discover a few reported cases on the web who had the rare sighting. Otherwise it is mostly felt, rather than seen. It is basically your storehouse of energy making you aware that this abundance lies within you. And it is infinite potential. Meditation is basically about reaching subtler states of perception to widen the human experience which is personal and can  be enjoyed through the mind and the sense. To have a more rounded experience of reality, your senses have to be finer, and refinement comes through processes like meditation. Then you can see what is actually going on, instead of blundering in constant survival mode. And wasting unnecessary energy without putting it to good purpose. 

You wrote 'sacred sounds and every sound is responsible for a particular form.,' I think that calls for very deep exploration of what the possibility actually means.

I am excited to know that you have had the experience of Kundalini rising and had its rare sighting. Yes, it is the ultimate goal of every human soul is to realize this infinite potential within us and only a person perfect in meditation can achieve this wonderful feat. I appreciate your sincere efforts and dedication to reach the pinnacle of perfection. I would like to read your amazing Kundalini experience. Once the book is published, kindly let me know.

Regarding ‘every sound is responsible for a particular form’, I would like to add:  

Every spoken word creates an image in our mind whether the object is physically present before us or not. There are two sounds in the words we speak. One is the potential sound (the subtle word) that exists in our mind before we utter the word; and the second is the uttered word. This potential sound within our mind is called the sphota or Shabda-Brahman or Nada-Brahman

Creation is possible only if there is an initial movement or vibration. Behind the manifestation of the form of this universe, there should be an eternal and inexpressible sphota, the first cosmic vibration, by which the universe awoke from its cosmic sleep and the equilibrated energy is released (what the modern scientists interpret as Big-Bang expansion of the Singularity). As per Hindu Philosophy, this sphota is represented by the mantra Aum, which is the nearest possible sound-symbol with profoundest meaning that cannot be expressed by any other sound.

rambabu wrote:

Mantra is a Sanskrit word consisting of the root " Man ", Manas or mind and the suffix Tra means tool. And the literal meaning of  Mantra is " Mind tool".Mantras are interpreted as Sound ( Vibration ), to the effect that a lot of emphasis is laid on correct  pronunciation Mantras are intended to deliver the mind from illusion and Material inclinations. The importance of right pronunciation of AUM and the benefits there of are well known.

I do not have much knowledge about this particular topic, only apart from the fact that I know and recite Gayatri mantra at least once a day. Thanks Ramakrishnan and Usha for such beautiful information about it.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

usha manohar wrote:
RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

That sums it up beautifully ! To add on - the great benefit of chanting the mantras is 1, building self discipline in children and secondly, the chanting and the words and the pronunciations themselves activate certain nerve endings thereby making a person totally aware of his surroundings and self - Like I heard one of our renowned godmen say in one of his discourses  " Mantras are like  oil or fuel , much like an engine , that a soul needs to perform to its optimum capacity . because uttering them touches those parts of our soul that may be in deep slumber !

You explained well but it is my opinion that no one can tell what is the benefits of chanting the mantras. it is infinite. Hari Ananta, Hari Katha Ananta.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.