There was a schoolgirl in North Kerala who was taking care of two bedridden parents by herself. She had to get water from the river each day, bringing the bucket alone. So she developed a trolley system, and got an innovation award for it. Do you know of similar stories that are probably not mentioned on the Web? And also those involving technology, because I"m assisting in a project thats related to personalised healthcare using apps and the internet. It's part of a new thing called Industry 4.0. It's already begun and is going to affect manufacturing sector and other industries. I'm sure you are already familar with it, because a lot of the tech giants like Microsoft, HP etc are already involved. Basically its about connecting thousands of objects to your mobile phone. I'm specifically interested in care-giving and healthcare sectors.

Today I'm going to be the person walking around with a hammer to break someone's heart with, because its Valentine's Day

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

yeah there are many people who are unknown to us and they have a great innovative mind, they are not famous but they are talented. and some of them are not even educated but they have a thinking mind 

bhuyali saroj

A care Giver could be a family member or an unskilled person who has basic training in caring for the elderly. A care Giver assists an elderly person in their daily activities like bathing, going to the Toilet, feeding and dressing. Care givers may also assist the aged to  drive away loneliness, depression, low self esteem and create a sense of Security in the remaining part of their lives.

I'm not a Care Giver. But visited a few Old Age Homes run by Voluntary Organisations.

I don't think Technology  can match with Personal care.

rambabu wrote:

A care Giver could be a family member or an unskilled person who has basic training in caring for the elderly. A care Giver assists an elderly person in their daily activities like bathing, going to the Toilet, feeding and dressing. Care givers may also assist the aged to  drive away loneliness, depression, low self esteem and create a sense of Security in the remaining part of their lives.

I'm not a Care Giver. But visited a few Old Age Homes run by Voluntary Organisations.

Shana sez: Actually there are a lot of homes where old people are living by themselves, because their kids don't wish to care for them, its out of their own choice, or because the kids are working very far away. Or overseas. So what happens, and I know this because its happened with some of my elderly relations in their late eighties or late seventies, is that they hire a nurse or something. But in some cases those people are not professionally qualified. And are more like domestic workers. Or they might be temparamentally unsuited for the job. Normally, because its a paid job, one cannot expect them to feel extra attached to the client, unless its in their nature to be unconditionally affectionate. Others might exploit or cheat or mistreat their clients, who are dependent on them. In the cases where children are attentive, but owing to their own lifestyles and jobs, cannot be there fulltime, things like Skype have been useful to monitor their condition. But they have to be told to use it, because anyway its user friendly, so if one is not a technophobe it can be done. Moreover, in towns like the ones I am in now, they are developing apps and other mobiles with special single digit numbers that can connect you to a helpline for emergency assistance. If you are alone and having a stroke or something.

In my personal opinion, older people have to be monitored constantly like babies, especially if they are frailer. Because anything can happen. And if you can do this from afar, by getting the person online and seeing their health status etc, or even connecting them to a doctor, who can monitor them from far. It will be for everyone's convenience. The personalised health model is also to make things convenient so that you don't have to queue for a doctor-older people find this particularly strainful. Instead you can get assistance and also reminders about when to take your medicine etc. Ideally, there is nothing like personal assistance, but when its not humanly possible, there are going to be good substitutes.

But you need to know they exist, how and when to use them. And the interfaces will be very user-friendly, so even someone who is not tech-savvy can apply them.

Today I'm going to be the person walking around with a hammer to break someone's heart with, because its Valentine's Day

SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Shana sez: Actually there are a lot of homes where old people are living by themselves, because their kids don't wish to care for them, its out of their own choice, or because the kids are working very far away. Or overseas. So what happens, and I know this because its happened with some of my elderly relations in their late eighties or late seventies, is that they hire a nurse or something. But in some cases those people are not professionally qualified. And are more like domestic workers. Or they might be temparamentally unsuited for the job. Normally, because its a paid job, one cannot expect them to feel extra attached to the client, unless its in their nature to be unconditionally affectionate. Others might exploit or cheat or mistreat their clients, who are dependent on them. In the cases where children are attentive, but owing to their own lifestyles and jobs, cannot be there fulltime, things like Skype have been useful to monitor their condition. But they have to be told to use it, because anyway its user friendly, so if one is not a technophobe it can be done. Moreover, in towns like the ones I am in now, they are developing apps and other mobiles with special single digit numbers that can connect you to a helpline for emergency assistance. If you are alone and having a stroke or something.

In my personal opinion, older people have to be monitored constantly like babies, especially if they are frailer. Because anything can happen. And if you can do this from afar, by getting the person online and seeing their health status etc, or even connecting them to a doctor, who can monitor them from far. It will be for everyone's convenience. The personalised health model is also to make things convenient so that you don't have to queue for a doctor-older people find this particularly strainful. Instead you can get assistance and also reminders about when to take your medicine etc. Ideally, there is nothing like personal assistance, but when its not humanly possible, there are going to be good substitutes.

But you need to know they exist, how and when to use them. And the interfaces will be very user-friendly, so even someone who is not tech-savvy can apply them.

I'm doubtful if a sick and old person can handle the apps. Old age is a stage, where more external assistance is required. This can be achieved only through a dedicated family member or another person who is well versed with the Patient's needs and necessities.

If a patient is in a position to handle Apps on his own, I don't think there is a necessity of any Care Giver.

I know one of my online friends from Kerala. Her mother in law has Parkinson’s and dementia. Father in Law has the problems of old age. Both of them need care every moment. She is a dedicated women and a sincere caregiver. With prayer in heart, she accumulates strength and patience and cares her in-laws sincerely. She admits that it is a very difficult job. Her problem is that her relatives are not helpful but always try to find fault on what she has been doing. Here, what she needs is physical help and support from her dear ones. Here technology has no relevance.

And I am sure that in the remote villages of our country, there are many such caregivers dedicated their lives, serving their aged parents and grandparents, but unknown to the external world. Online monitoring of old people is a good concept which will definitely save them from some emergency situations. But, I think it is more feasible in cities rather than villages. But still, we cannot leave the old people alone at home without the protection of a physical caregiver, irrespective of whether he is attached or hired.  

I am very happy to know that you are a social worker and are interested in care giving and health care sectors. Keep it up. It is not possible for all people. Only the gifted people can involve in such activities. You are a special and gifted person of God  and so there is no doubt that you will get so many blessings from God.

RAMAKRISHNAN. A wrote:

I know one of my online friends from Kerala. Her mother in law has Parkinson’s and dementia. Father in Law has the problems of old age. Both of them need care every moment. She is a dedicated women and a sincere caregiver. With prayer in heart, she accumulates strength and patience and cares her in-laws sincerely. She admits that it is a very difficult job. Her problem is that her relatives are not helpful but always try to find fault on what she has been doing. Here, what she needs is physical help and support from her dear ones. Here technology has no relevance.

And I am sure that in the remote villages of our country, there are many such caregivers dedicated their lives, serving their aged parents and grandparents, but unknown to the external world. Online monitoring of old people is a good concept which will definitely save them from some emergency situations. But, I think it is more feasible in cities rather than villages. But still, we cannot leave the old people alone at home without the protection of a physical caregiver, irrespective of whether he is attached or hired.  

There are some dedicated women who look after their in-laws without any fault. They are broad minded and so they sacrifice their life for family members. They give least importance to their own dreams and spend their time for others. Here I can proudly say that my mother also has such qualities. She spend her time for giving proper care to all the members of the family. 

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

I'm doubtful if a sick and old person can handle the apps. Old age is a stage, where more external assistance is required. This can be achieved only through a dedicated family member or another person who is well versed with the Patient's needs and necessities.

If a patient is in a position to handle Apps on his own, I don't think there is a necessity of any Care Giver.

Shana sez: That's what I'm trying to say. It depends on how adaptable and flexible towards new technologies. I feel its usually designed to make human lives more comfortable and convenient. And each time its being simplified for better use. But if you are 'used to things a certain way', then you might fail to take advantage of the help that is offered right in front of you. Of course in this case it also depends on the person's will. Some very  sick, elderly people are still stubborn enough to do things on their own and use help when needed. Others might be just too sick to move without help every minute. Or there might be those who would have used the help but didn't know it existed because they didn't have the info, or access to internet, for instance. And the Internet of Things has a healthcare segment that is being developed for this purpose. You can do further reading if you are interested.

rambabu wrote:
rambabu wrote:

Shana sez: That's what I'm trying to say. It depends on how adaptable and flexible towards new technologies. I feel its usually designed to make human lives more comfortable and convenient. And each time its being simplified for better use. But if you are 'used to things a certain way', then you might fail to take advantage of the help that is offered right in front of you. Of course in this case it also depends on the person's will. Some very  sick, elderly people are still stubborn enough to do things on their own and use help when needed. Others might be just too sick to move without help every minute. Or there might be those who would have used the help but didn't know it existed because they didn't have the info, or access to internet, for instance. And the Internet of Things has a healthcare segment that is being developed for this purpose. You can do further reading if you are interested.

Jincy Aby wrote:

I am very happy to know that you are a social worker and are interested in care giving and health care sectors. Keep it up. It is not possible for all people. Only the gifted people can involve in such activities. You are a special and gifted person of God  and so there is no doubt that you will get so many blessings from God.

Shana sez: That's a very fine thought and thanks for your wishes, but I wish to clarify that I don't think I should take credit for being a social worker. I am certainly no Mother Teresa. I'm mainly a writer and journalist, and I'm interested in various subjects that might seem very different from each other. It just so happens that I am doing this project involving personalised health, and if all works well it will be a national project. It will take a long time and funding and sponsors are required. At the moment its at the very early stages. But I am not the brainchild. I'm using my journalism skills and writer skills and my interest in fellow human beings. I think there are lots of people who are genuine social workers. I have a few in my own family and some friends of mine are. And I know that its often very tiring, thankless work that you should make your vocation if you were born to do it. Frankly for the thought you shared, you should be entitled to the blessings!

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.