Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:
    rambabu wrote:
    SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:
    rambabu wrote:

    A care Giver could be a family member or an unskilled person who has basic training in caring for the elderly. A care Giver assists an elderly person in their daily activities like bathing, going to the Toilet, feeding and dressing. Care givers may also assist the aged to  drive away loneliness, depression, low self esteem and create a sense of Security in the remaining part of their lives.

    I'm not a Care Giver. But visited a few Old Age Homes run by Voluntary Organisations.

     I don't think Technology  can match with Personal care.

    Shana sez: Actually there are a lot of homes where old people are living by themselves, because their kids don't wish to care for them, its out of their own choice, or because the kids are working very far away. Or overseas. So what happens, and I know this because its happened with some of my elderly relations in their late eighties or late seventies, is that they hire a nurse or something. But in some cases those people are not professionally qualified. And are more like domestic workers. Or they might be temparamentally unsuited for the job. Normally, because its a paid job, one cannot expect them to feel extra attached to the client, unless its in their nature to be unconditionally affectionate. Others might exploit or cheat or mistreat their clients, who are dependent on them. In the cases where children are attentive, but owing to their own lifestyles and jobs, cannot be there fulltime, things like Skype have been useful to monitor their condition. But they have to be told to use it, because anyway its user friendly, so if one is not a technophobe it can be done. Moreover, in towns like the ones I am in now, they are developing apps and other mobiles with special single digit numbers that can connect you to a helpline for emergency assistance. If you are alone and having a stroke or something.

    In my personal opinion, older people have to be monitored constantly like babies, especially if they are frailer. Because anything can happen. And if you can do this from afar, by getting the person online and seeing their health status etc, or even connecting them to a doctor, who can monitor them from far. It will be for everyone's convenience. The personalised health model is also to make things convenient so that you don't have to queue for a doctor-older people find this particularly strainful. Instead you can get assistance and also reminders about when to take your medicine etc. Ideally, there is nothing like personal assistance, but when its not humanly possible, there are going to be good substitutes.

    But you need to know they exist, how and when to use them. And the interfaces will be very user-friendly, so even someone who is not tech-savvy can apply them.

    I'm doubtful if a sick and old person can handle the apps. Old age is a stage, where more external assistance is required. This can be achieved only through a dedicated family member or another person who is well versed with the Patient's needs and necessities.

    If a patient is in a position to handle Apps on his own, I don't think there is a necessity of any Care Giver.

    Shana sez: That's what I'm trying to say. It depends on how adaptable and flexible towards new technologies. I feel its usually designed to make human lives more comfortable and convenient. And each time its being simplified for better use. But if you are 'used to things a certain way', then you might fail to take advantage of the help that is offered right in front of you. Of course in this case it also depends on the person's will. Some very  sick, elderly people are still stubborn enough to do things on their own and use help when needed. Others might be just too sick to move without help every minute. Or there might be those who would have used the help but didn't know it existed because they didn't have the info, or access to internet, for instance. And the Internet of Things has a healthcare segment that is being developed for this purpose. You can do further reading if you are interested.

     

    I agree. Adaptability is the factor that plays a key role in the success or failure of Health care Apps. I also agree that new technologies help in making the things easier. Unfortunately, this is not so. Adaptability to new technologies especially by senior citizens is difficult. But I'm sure, with time, Healthcare segment will open up new avenues for all.

     

     

     

     


  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    Some of my loved ones were bed ridden of whom the whole family looked after and certainly nurses were appointed too but we never came up with any innovative tool. We took help of such tools which were available in the market.

    shampasaid


  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:
    Jincy Aby wrote:

    I am very happy to know that you are a social worker and are interested in care giving and health care sectors. Keep it up. It is not possible for all people. Only the gifted people can involve in such activities. You are a special and gifted person of God  and so there is no doubt that you will get so many blessings from God.

    Shana sez: That's a very fine thought and thanks for your wishes, but I wish to clarify that I don't think I should take credit for being a social worker. I am certainly no Mother Teresa. I'm mainly a writer and journalist, and I'm interested in various subjects that might seem very different from each other. It just so happens that I am doing this project involving personalised health, and if all works well it will be a national project. It will take a long time and funding and sponsors are required. At the moment its at the very early stages. But I am not the brainchild. I'm using my journalism skills and writer skills and my interest in fellow human beings. I think there are lots of people who are genuine social workers. I have a few in my own family and some friends of mine are. And I know that its often very tiring, thankless work that you should make your vocation if you were born to do it. Frankly for the thought you shared, you should be entitled to the blessings!

    Through your words you are proving that you are totally different from others. Your thoughts and attitude separate you from others. Your contribution in this forum is a best example for this. I am sure that you are capable to make so many changes in the society through your writing and activities. 


    Thank you said by: SHANA MARIA VERGHIS

  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    Shampa Sadhya wrote:Some of my loved ones were bed ridden of whom the whole family looked after and certainly nurses were appointed too but we never came up with any innovative tool. We took help of such tools which were available in the market.

    Thats how it is most families, they help each other out with whatever is available at their disposable ..It has been the same within my family and scores of other families that I know of..


    Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!


  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    usha manohar wrote:
    Shampa Sadhya wrote:Some of my loved ones were bed ridden of whom the whole family looked after and certainly nurses were appointed too but we never came up with any innovative tool. We took help of such tools which were available in the market.

    Thats how it is most families, they help each other out with whatever is available at their disposable ..It has been the same within my family and scores of other families that I know of..

    Absolutely @usha manohar My aunt was on bed for almost a year, my father for two months and my mother for six years. She had Alzheimer's Disease. More than me, my siblings took care of them as I was far away in my matrimonial home. I could take care for short period of time but my siblings and my sisters-in-law did a great job.

    shampasaid


  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    when anyone fall sick and rest in the bed we never appoint anyone unless if it is very urgent, we himself do the work for him/her who has fallen sick and whereas about the innovative minds, i haven't seen anyone like that in my life but i believe that there are many 


    bhuyali saroj


  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    Shampa Sadhya wrote:

    usha manohar wrote:

    Shampa Sadhya wrote:Some of my loved ones were bed ridden of whom the whole family looked after and certainly nurses were appointed too but we never came up with any innovative tool. We took help of such tools which were available in the market.

    Thats how it is most families, they help each other out with whatever is available at their disposable ..It has been the same within my family and scores of other families that I know of..

     

    Absolutely @usha manohar My aunt was on bed for almost a year, my father for two months and my mother for six years. She had Alzheimer's Disease. More than me, my siblings took care of them as I was far away in my matrimonial home. I could take care for short period of time but my siblings and my sisters-in-law did a great job

     

    Shana sez: So you'll understand more than the rest of us, what this actually involves. It's interesting that you mention Alzheimer's though, because that is an entirely special kind of care giving. Are your parents still around? i wonder if you've seen the film, Still Alice, which got an Oscar last year. It's about Alzheimer's if you are interested. I saw it on a really bad download on YouTube. I think you'll find it if you click it if you type in Still Alice Full Movie. Really, unless the whole family cooperates without grumbling and whining and losing their temper too often (except occasionally to vent, because that's okay I suppose, under the pressure of the circumstance), things can get miserable for all. Not just the ailing person.And with Alzheimer's they might be totally oblivious to what is going on. I think someone taped each day, as the person degenerated, so that they could refer to the tape to remember people's names etc, I don't know if this actually worked, but i guess that's one use of technology. Which reminds me, that its not just the family. I guess entire society has to be geared around dealing more sensitively to people with disabilities that you cannot see on the surface. And which might be misconstrued for being rudeness or bad behavior.

     


    Today I'm going to be the person walking around with a hammer to break someone's heart with, because its Valentine's Day


  • Re: Is anyone of you a caregiver? Or do you know someone who is?Has technology been of any use in this regard?

    by » 4 years ago


    SHANA MARIA VERGHIS wrote:

    Shampa Sadhya wrote:

    usha manohar wrote:

    Shampa Sadhya wrote:Some of my loved ones were bed ridden of whom the whole family looked after and certainly nurses were appointed too but we never came up with any innovative tool. We took help of such tools which were available in the market.

    Thats how it is most families, they help each other out with whatever is available at their disposable ..It has been the same within my family and scores of other families that I know of..

     

    Absolutely @usha manohar My aunt was on bed for almost a year, my father for two months and my mother for six years. She had Alzheimer's Disease. More than me, my siblings took care of them as I was far away in my matrimonial home. I could take care for short period of time but my siblings and my sisters-in-law did a great job

     

    Shana sez: So you'll understand more than the rest of us, what this actually involves. It's interesting that you mention Alzheimer's though, because that is an entirely special kind of care giving. Are your parents still around? i wonder if you've seen the film, Still Alice, which got an Oscar last year. It's about Alzheimer's if you are interested. I saw it on a really bad download on YouTube. I think you'll find it if you click it if you type in Still Alice Full Movie. Really, unless the whole family cooperates without grumbling and whining and losing their temper too often (except occasionally to vent, because that's okay I suppose, under the pressure of the circumstance), things can get miserable for all. Not just the ailing person.And with Alzheimer's they might be totally oblivious to what is going on. I think someone taped each day, as the person degenerated, so that they could refer to the tape to remember people's names etc, I don't know if this actually worked, but i guess that's one use of technology. Which reminds me, that its not just the family. I guess entire society has to be geared around dealing more sensitively to people with disabilities that you cannot see on the surface. And which might be misconstrued for being rudeness or bad behavior.

     @Shana My parents and aunt are no more. Well, it was only my mother who suffered from Alzheimer. The saddest part was that she consciously never recognised her children but maybe she recognised us subconsciously. My father was not alive when she was on bed for six years. It is very painful for the family to see your loved one in pain but in our case the situation was different because of the disease. It does not make the patient suffer from severe pain and so on but we the children died everyday when our mother did not recognise us. My biological family was a big joint family till some years back and my mother was the eldest of all who nursed everyone from my grandparents to uncles, aunts, my father, nephews and nieces along with her own children whenever anyone fell ill, be it for a few days or for a long period, very lovingly but during her time we failed to understand that was she at all able to realise our love and concern for her or not.        

     


    shampasaid


You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.