It's sure, each person belonging to different parts have different customs and dishes. Let us take marriage ceremonies. It's sure, dishes provided will be grand and it truly reflects culture and customs of that particular region.
In Kerala, Both Christians and Muslims prefer non-veg.......Christians normally serve Fried rice while Muslims Biryani only. For Hindus, vegetarian meal only with a variety of side dishes, curries and payasam.
If we travel from capital city to Kasargode, vegetarian meal of weddings known as Sadya(not sandhya :dry: :dry: :silly: ) differs slightly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadya
Southern parts serve more dishes while northern parts like Palakkad, just 4-5 side dishes along with rice. What about you?
Let us share a few variations of such dishes

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 8637]}

let me add one more question now......tell something about marriage rituals, functions and ceremonies.....
Also quote some strange rituals, if you have any. :) :)

Meera sandhu
Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Here we have variety of dish, like rajmah, Chhole, Dal makhani, Tandoori Roti, pullao rice. There are also varieties of vegetables and Dal.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Here we have variety of dish, like rajmah, Chhole, Dal makhani, Tandoori Roti, pullao rice. There are also varieties of vegetables and Dal.

For Hindu marriages, is it pure vegetarian or not?
Also I want to know if marriages in North India at evenings or night only :unsure:

Meera sandhu
It depends on your choice.. day or night..But mostly prefer weddings throughout the night. Mostly the dishes are pure vegetarian.

Live in the present :)

For Hindu marriages, is it pure vegetarian or not?
Also I want to know if marriages in North India at evenings or night only :unsure:

This is vegetarian. marriage is a pious religious function. so, only vegetarian food is served. In Sikh marriages, non veg is also served. In some marriage functions, there is also alcoholic drinks for Barat (marriage procession) enabling youth to dance.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

I recently attended a marriage function held in a farmhouse. There were about 100 different and separate tents for different items. Each of them had over 10 items. This was apart from the main dinner hall where another menu with 100s items was there. This was a marriage where the groom was an army captain so they had a bar set for guests as well. I prefer light while eating out or in such functions so I mostly lived on fruits and cold drinks. Yes, I had an Ice cream and kulfi etc but stayed away from Chaat, heavily ghee items and bar of course. There were more than 500 items if I am not wrong.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

In Kerala, marriage functions last for 2 days....excluding Brahmin marriages....I think they celebrate for 3-5-7 days.
In bride's home, the evening before the function will be a party. It may or may not be vegetarian.....Those persons who can't attend marriages next day attend this function. In the late evening, groom's sister with a group comes to give Shaadi ka Joda which bride wears the next day.
Marriages will be conducted in Muharat...possibly before 1-2 pm. (My marriage was at 8.15 am)....it depends....
Then they together goes to bride groom's home.....again there will be party......it will be non-vegetarian, even for most Hindu marriages....

Since marriages are at day time and all people can't attend it, receptions will be more crowdy than marriages. So brides will be more tired since she has to attend 3 functions and accept greetings from everyone..... :S

Let me add one more thing.....
In Southern Kerala (except for Muslims), there is no return yatra...
But in all other parts of our state, after the reception at bride groom's home in the evening, they have to return to bride's home and will return only after 3 days. This travel is avoided only if bride's home is at long distance.

Since am shifting frequently, I am able to know customs of different parts of Kerala :cheer:

Meera sandhu
Previously marriages in North India also were a lengthy process, which lasted for 3-7 days but now they have no time for so many formalities so most of the systems have become symbolic and and finished with in three days which used to take months. Now they do not go for Haldi raasam for 7 days but do it in half an hour. Mostly 3 days are enough for all functions to complete. We go for marriages according to convenience, day or night is not an issue. But most marriages in Hindus take place in night hours and girl goes to her husband's home at about 5 in the morning.

So I think, only one function is arranged at bride's home......in North India. Isn't it?
We have to arrange two...one before the marriage...most possibly at bride's home and second day, in some auditorium where actual marriage takes place.

Meera sandhu
So I think, only one function is arranged at bride's home......in North India. Isn't it?
We have to arrange two...one before the marriage...most possibly at bride's home and second day, in some auditorium where actual marriage takes place.

In fact there are 4 functions before marriage in brides homes and all are big and formal.
1- When the boy's side comes to see girl and her home
2- Roka or Rokna- where the boy's side formally accepts the girl and gives her some ornaments and clothes. Girl's side in turn present big gifts to all relatives who come to attend or not
3- Engagement- this is as big a function as marriage itself and as most marriages are happening in boy's place in distant places, all relatives and friends including neighbors are invited to attend in big banquet halls with all formal eating and functions. Videos and dances etc and even a formal get together and even some making an arrangement for cocktail party.
Then there is marriage that is normally a one day's affair but as the bridegroom party arrives in the evening and goes next morning so at least 3-4 services are offered. Now count for yourself and not to forget the gathering of relatives in our own houses.

Woh! this is such a good presentation. I like the first post of this thread. Actually I have never been to any wedding. Therefore it is difficult for me to explain in details. Many items are cooked in bengali wedding especially sweet dishes. Basically traditional bengali food is cooked like mutton curry, fish curry, puri, biryani, etc. Among sweet dishes, rasgoola, rasmalai, rabri, misti dahi, etc are served.
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.