Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
I think, north Indian Hindu marriages......swayamvar in front of fire while South Indians lit a bronze lamp. All other rituals, it seems almost the same

The most important part of a Hindu marriage in our parts is a Saptapadi, commonly known as Seven times round the fire while Pandits chanting Shlokas and telling the pair about importance of married life.

Here, I doubt it's 3 :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: revolving the whole Mandapam, like we do in temples :whistle:

Meera sandhu
Rice, Sambar,Rasam,Butter milk, Side-dish using Vegitable, Sweet and Banana and Ice cream

I think almost all items are same......as am from Kerala-Tamil Nadu border and more than 70% relatives are from Tamil Nadu, I have attended many marriages.....
I feel almost same dishes that of TVM......Rasam, Sambaar, butter milk etc...
But what about parippu and pulissery? Do you have? Thrissur and North Kerala marriage dishes don't include these two. :huh:
Pulissery is my favourite and parippu, my hubby's.
I think Pickles, Avial and Kichedi are common....am I not right Mary?

Meera sandhu
I think, north Indian Hindu marriages......swayamvar in front of fire while South Indians lit a bronze lamp. All other rituals, it seems almost the same

The most important part of a Hindu marriage in our parts is a Saptapadi, commonly known as Seven times round the fire while Pandits chanting Shlokas and telling the pair about importance of married life.

Here, I doubt it's 3 :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: revolving the whole Mandapam, like we do in temples :whistle:

No its seven times as said by Sunil. In south, do the couples move around the fire only three times?
Let me tell you main difference of marriage rituals of Nair Hindu and Ezhava Hindu marriages.....
The main group of Hindus of Kerala belong to these two....

In almost all groups, except Nairs, bride wears wedding sari in the function.....in most cases, it's given 1 day before by groom's sister. So, she comes to mandap wearing the wedding sari presented by groom.
But in Nairs, bride uses her own silk sari in mandap for the ceremony. We call it 'thali kettu'. As a part of rituals, groom gives her the wedding sari in the mandapam itself. According to the beliefs, husband is the person who has the right to give her dress. So, as soon as he ties mangal sootra and garlands exchanged, he gives her another silk sari and a Kerala set sari, in a plate. (Pudava nalkal) Pudava means dress. After the ceremony is completed, she goes and wear the Kerala Set sari.
When Newly wedded couples have their meals together (of course lunch), she should wear set sari.
When they leave the place to husband's home, she again change her dress and wears the silk sari presented by her husband.

If time between Muharat and leaving is short, bride has to run a Marathon race to complete the full rituals :cheer: :cheer:

Now about Ezhava marriages.......they do their functions before the photo of Narayana Guru only. For every functions, they want blessings from him.

All other groups, rituals are almost same.

I have already told, except South Kerala, in all other parts, after going to bride groom's house, they return back.

Meera sandhu

No its seven times as said by Sunil. In south, do the couples move around the fire only three times?

yes.... :)

But before the ceremony starts, groom is already sitted in the mandap and she revolves him 3 times along with her father and a group of kids carrying deepam in their hands, get blessings from elders and then enter into 'Kathir Mandapam'

Meera sandhu
Friends
See this link
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulcarvill/2524392692/

Since Narayana Guru's photo is placed it's Ezhava marriage
You can see Deepams and Kathir(young coconut bunch).....and this photo is just before they start revolving the mandap.
Rice is also placed...not visible in this photo
Let me search another photo

Let me tell you .....
All brides look so beautiful in their saris and ornaments. But bride not...because he can only wear a dhoti and cream shirt in the function. I think it's the case of all South Indian Hindu marriages....
May be because, bride should get all attention :cheer: :cheer:
But I really love seeing grooms in light cream colour on that particular day :woohoo: :woohoo:

Meera sandhu
Please friends,
can you share some interesting posts for this thread?

Meera sandhu
As i am a telugu people we use to serve traditional dishes which ever we like ther's nothing rule to serve only this and tha.
As i am a telugu people we use to serve traditional dishes which ever we like ther's nothing rule to serve only this and tha.

We do have perfect rules while serving a sadya.
Very soon I will submit an article.
It's strictly followed in South Kerala, while rules are loosened while travelling north.

In Thrissur, if you ask, you will get it again. In capital, once served curry won't be served second time......it has a strict rule in placing the side dishes also....even in the order and amount.
If someone is interested, please ask me. I will give you. Otherwise, I don't have time to waste :P B) B)

Meera sandhu
In our south India, telugu people, first they see the girl, I mean parents come to see the girl. Then if they like the girl then boy comes and see and then they will say their opinion through phone. After that his parents and girls parents will talk about the dowry. If dowry mater is conformed then they will contact pandit to select good time for engagement according to the stars fo both girl and boy. So on that day they will do engagement and then pandit will keep a muhurth. marriage muhurth mostly set at night only. But I prefer day. Then both girl boy parents discuss about where to perform the marriage. then on the marriage day, pandit will be making the girl to do gowri pooja first. this is very compulsary in everyone marriage. then after this pooja she should change the sare and where the saree which is give by the boys parents. Then she and the boy will be sitting in madap. between them a elder lady will be siiting. she is the Sakshi of the marriage. and pandit instructs girl and boy to do some pooja. Then 2 people will be holding a white cloth between the girl and boy so that they cannot see each others face. then on the muhurth time, the girl and the boy will be keeping a pan leave with jaggery and cumin seeds on each others head. that means the main segment of the marriage is completed. Now pandit will be chanting some mantras. then he will be giving some big cloth to boy and girl for brahma mudi. which make boy and girl one. then pandit. then both the girl and boy will taken at the backside of the mandap where the dry grass is placed. The boy and girl will be siting on that grass. then boy will be tying mangal soothra to the girl and they will come to the mandap. At that time at the side of the mandap, a man will be holding kagada in his hand, this means the marriage is performed with sakshi agni. Before days people used to keep the fire in the homam and move around it but this causing some accidnets so they arranged in this manner. Now marriage is almost finished. after that boy and girl will be playing few games. that is pandit will be pouring turmeric mixed water in a big bowl and he throw 2 rings in that water. and the girl and the boy should search for it and get them. After that they will be give rice and colored small balls to pour on each other. these are known as thalambralu in telugu. this is the last segment of the marriage. I forgot to say haldi ki rasam before marriage. On the marriage day they will serve only vegetarian and dal is compulsory.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race.

Thank you said by: Sandhya Rani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.