Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
This is a big mistake that you have pointed out. Many a times I have seen members posting in forums, Q&A and other categories, with lots of mistakes. I think some editing is also required in these categories. Before finally posting the topic, we should once go through it.

A mistake here and there in Forums is alright. But not in Article writing. In this connection i should admit that some editors helped me in correcting the headings of my articles.

Yes I agree with you. Like articles, the first thing visible on this site can be the other categories also. If they are not correct, many people won't feel interested in joining this site.

More than 70% forum posts would be deleted if grammar comes into play.

If posts as much as 70% is liable to be deleted, we have a very big problem here and the role and responsibilities of editors get weightier and they have to exercise due diligence, otherwise we have to ask ourselves as to what editors are here for??

With due respect, I don't think there is any problem for editors here in forum section besides there is no rule that a forum post will be deleted based on its grammar, as long as it is in English, and this was only a response to a respected member who suggested that all form posts should be grammatically error free. As you might have seen, no forum topics are being locked unless absolutely out of context.

@Sunil

Let me begin with disowning any such statement which was attributed to me that I held that all the forum posts should be free from grammatical warts. Though that would have been an ideal situation. You mentioned the existing rule does not warrant any intervention on the part of editors in such cases. Obviously this liberal dispensation and its equally liberally interpretation needs a thorough review. If a law can be amended, a rule too can be changed for a good cause. Many of our members are learners including myself and all we are on a learning curve picking up so many things and a section of them might be to looking to improve their English by joining this site. They participate, express themselves in this language which at times unfortunately, suffer from grammatical infirmities and if those are taken care of that helps them tremendously in improving themselves in their respective domains in future. My suggestion should be seen in this broad light. Your serious concern is quite manifest here as you worked it out to be 70% which I find much on the higher side. Another point that needs stressing here is that I don't want all of us to be grammar perfect but what I come across is terrible. There are titles which betray ignorance of a very basic grammatical rule. For instance, a thread which is current, features an interrogative sentence starting with the verb 'do' but conveniently forgets to drop the letter 's' at the end of the main verb!

As Usha has already expressed herself very clearly on the substantive issue I would confine myself to making a request to our editors to remove at least the glaring mistakes in forum posts. Finally deletion of posts as a measure is farthest in my mind, rather I would prefer suitable edition so that the members can learn from their mistakes. Thanks!

No, it certainly was not based on your post but if you only read few more posts, you'll know what I mean. Maybe 70% was a bit more than what it should be so i am ready to take 10 more out and put it at 60% including mine. I hope this should come to your expectations. As far deletion is concerned, trust me there is no rule as such and once again editors have no role in the matter whatsoever. As far my own posts, go and see, I have almost all posts edited and yet not satisfied. Thanks for your knowledgeable input. I wish you were more active in forums to reduce the percentage of errors.

Thanks Sunil for your observations and I am really happy that you have given your very well-reasoned views and I concur with that. I am sorry if my comments created any unease in the minds of anyone, especially that of yours who has been doing a fantastic job for this site. I know it is easier to comment from outside without occupying the hot seat!!! And here's my wishing you all the very best as editor of this site!! I always wanted and want to be active here but some compulsions do come in the way. Surely I'd try to be active in future.
This is a big mistake that you have pointed out. Many a times I have seen members posting in forums, Q&A and other categories, with lots of mistakes. I think some editing is also required in these categories. Before finally posting the topic, we should once go through it.

A mistake here and there in Forums is alright. But not in Article writing. In this connection i should admit that some editors helped me in correcting the headings of my articles.

Yes I agree with you. Like articles, the first thing visible on this site can be the other categories also. If they are not correct, many people won't feel interested in joining this site.

More than 70% forum posts would be deleted if grammar comes into play.

If posts as much as 70% is liable to be deleted, we have a very big problem here and the role and responsibilities of editors get weightier and they have to exercise due diligence, otherwise we have to ask ourselves as to what editors are here for??

With due respect, I don't think there is any problem for editors here in forum section besides there is no rule that a forum post will be deleted based on its grammar, as long as it is in English, and this was only a response to a respected member who suggested that all form posts should be grammatically error free. As you might have seen, no forum topics are being locked unless absolutely out of context.

@Sunil

Let me begin with disowning any such statement which was attributed to me that I held that all the forum posts should be free from grammatical warts. Though that would have been an ideal situation. You mentioned the existing rule does not warrant any intervention on the part of editors in such cases. Obviously this liberal dispensation and its equally liberally interpretation needs a thorough review. If a law can be amended, a rule too can be changed for a good cause. Many of our members are learners including myself and all we are on a learning curve picking up so many things and a section of them might be to looking to improve their English by joining this site. They participate, express themselves in this language which at times unfortunately, suffer from grammatical infirmities and if those are taken care of that helps them tremendously in improving themselves in their respective domains in future. My suggestion should be seen in this broad light. Your serious concern is quite manifest here as you worked it out to be 70% which I find much on the higher side. Another point that needs stressing here is that I don't want all of us to be grammar perfect but what I come across is terrible. There are titles which betray ignorance of a very basic grammatical rule. For instance, a thread which is current, features an interrogative sentence starting with the verb 'do' but conveniently forgets to drop the letter 's' at the end of the main verb!

As Usha has already expressed herself very clearly on the substantive issue I would confine myself to making a request to our editors to remove at least the glaring mistakes in forum posts. Finally deletion of posts as a measure is farthest in my mind, rather I would prefer suitable edition so that the members can learn from their mistakes. Thanks!

No, it certainly was not based on your post but if you only read few more posts, you'll know what I mean. Maybe 70% was a bit more than what it should be so i am ready to take 10 more out and put it at 60% including mine. I hope this should come to your expectations. As far deletion is concerned, trust me there is no rule as such and once again editors have no role in the matter whatsoever. As far my own posts, go and see, I have almost all posts edited and yet not satisfied. Thanks for your knowledgeable input. I wish you were more active in forums to reduce the percentage of errors.

Thanks Sunil for your observations and I am really happy that you have given your very well-reasoned views and I concur with that. I am sorry if my comments created any unease in the minds of anyone, especially that of yours who has been doing a fantastic job for this site. I know it is easier to comment from outside without occupying the hot seat!!! And here's my wishing you all the very best as editor of this site!! I always wanted and want to be active here but some compulsions do come in the way. Surely I'd try to be active in future.

No, I am always open to good suggestions, Thank you once again.

I love this free image hosting site for sharing my work

https://o0.nz/

Thank you said by: chinmoymukherjee
At this moment a simple Grammar test becomes essential. Administration should take a small grammar test of all the active members In the site.
At this moment a simple Grammar test becomes essential. Administration should take a small grammar test of all the active members In the site.

The moderators and editors have already undegone a test. Making a test mandatory for all members does not appear feasible. Many members are well qualified and participate well. Those lacking basic talent or being busy elsewhere end as inactive members.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

The moderators and editors have already undegone a test. Making a test mandatory for all members does not appear feasible. Many members are well qualified and participate well. Those lacking basic talent or being busy elsewhere end as inactive members.

OK.

May be the members have over looked their mistakes or they may be hurry while submitting their articles.

OK.

May be the members have over looked their mistakes or they may be hurry while submitting their articles.

Whatever may be the reason, an article with grammatical mistakes will show the site in a bad light.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani

OK.

Whatever may be the reason, an article with grammatical mistakes will show the site in a bad light.

Thats the whole point and it depends on the editors to point out the mistake to the members so that they can correct it before submitting the article since at that stage it can easily done...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

I am reminded of one of the article writing site which is no more there now. In 2008 it was a rage with Indians,Pakistanis and other Asians contributing nothing but trash, some of them were just 300 word article that made no sense at all but everyone got paid 1 dollar for articles with 300+ words and 2 dollars for 700 words+ . Good articles could be counted on finger tips although each day hundreds of articles were published.I was one of the editors and I was horrified at the state of affairs...But we all got paid handsomely because of the ad revenue I guess ! I used to warn the admin about the quality of the articles but he just wanted to make a fast buck and leave ,Finally the reputation of bad articles caught up and the site closed down without paying members or editors for more than 3 months ...
Here we have an excellent team of editors and also very good articles being written and published by members, all that we need to do is improve certain things to perform even better ..

Well, that is a good example of what happens when quality is compromised. Usha, you know earlier we had a somewhat similar situation, not totally, but in the very beginning quality was not a big issue and you can still see some really horrific examples of such articles. But now in the last two years or so, it has improved a lot, in fact I can safely say that the kind of articles that are now being published are maybe 50 times better than what used to be earlier. Also, it is an evolving process and I am sure with the likes of you and others who are so actively concerned about quality, keep pointing out such anomalies and that helps us all become more focused on those points. So I can assure you that it will only get better henceforth. Meanwhile, published articles too, if you find such glaring mistakes, feel free to email titles and links to all of us!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
I am reminded of one of the article writing site which is no more there now. In 2008 it was a rage with Indians,Pakistanis and other Asians contributing nothing but trash, some of them were just 300 word article that made no sense at all but everyone got paid 1 dollar for articles with 300+ words and 2 dollars for 700 words+ . Good articles could be counted on finger tips although each day hundreds of articles were published.I was one of the editors and I was horrified at the state of affairs...But we all got paid handsomely because of the ad revenue I guess ! I used to warn the admin about the quality of the articles but he just wanted to make a fast buck and leave ,Finally the reputation of bad articles caught up and the site closed down without paying members or editors for more than 3 months ...
Here we have an excellent team of editors and also very good articles being written and published by members, all that we need to do is improve certain things to perform even better ..

Well, that is a good example of what happens when quality is compromised. Usha, you know earlier we had a somewhat similar situation, not totally, but in the very beginning quality was not a big issue and you can still see some really horrific examples of such articles. But now in the last two years or so, it has improved a lot, in fact I can safely say that the kind of articles that are now being published are maybe 50 times better than what used to be earlier. Also, it is an evolving process and I am sure with the likes of you and others who are so actively concerned about quality, keep pointing out such anomalies and that helps us all become more focused on those points. So I can assure you that it will only get better henceforth. Meanwhile, published articles too, if you find such glaring mistakes, feel free to email titles and links to all of us!

Yes Kalyani, quality always comes first ! I agree that some of the old articles are pretty bad ....But things are much much better now and I guess all of us members have a duty to see that the site remains qualitative as well...of course quantity is needed too for the site to bring in revenues....From my side I will definite do what I can Kalyani :)

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Yes Kalyani, quality always comes first ! I agree that some of the old articles are pretty bad ....But things are much much better now and I guess all of us members have a duty to see that the site remains qualitative as well...of course quantity is needed too for the site to bring in revenues....From my side I will definite do what I can Kalyani :)

I have no doubt about that, it is the awareness and focused interest of members like you that helps us better ourselves and keep us on our toes all the time! :) :)

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: usha manohar
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.