Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
Nationalism depends on how you define nation. For me nationalism as well as patriotism means treating all people in India as a one big family. This is exactly in spirit of 'vasudev Kutumbum'. Vasudev Kutumukum- means that the entire world is one family. But at least, we should treat all Indians as one family. Communalism, castism, regionalism are opposed to spirit of nationalism and patriotism.

For many nationalism is 'Hindu nationalism' etc. This is no nationalism and patriotism.

Exactly my feeling. I too believe that nationalism is all about the feeling of oneness. Unfortunately, nowadays most of the Indians tend to practice regionalism rather than nationalism and that is the reason why we do not progress much as a nation.
Thank you said by: usha manohar, Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
Now such a situation has been created by the politicians that people are becming more and more nuclear and selfish.Every kind of divide has been brought into the society like religion, communal,region etc etc...Unless we overlook all these issues we cannot work as one nation which is what is needed to take the country forward.Otherwise we will keep squabbling over every minor issue and outsiders,terrorists and foreign nations will be able to manipulate and take advantage of us ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

When a person sacrifices everything even his life for the sake of the country, it is called patriotism. A true patriot will think about the safety and protection of his countrymen first. The soldiers who die fighting in the battle fields are therefore remembered for his bravery forever. Such brave soldiers are honoured by the Kings and Emperors as Knights. The modern India honour them as Patriots and the India before freedom honour them as Freedom Fighters.
Such people can never be selfish or greedy. They live fore the country and die for the country.

Patriotism by all means is good. Blind patriotism is chauvinism like Hitler is dangerous. Such Chauvinists will be erased from History.

You are right. Such people have existed many years back in the History. Many kings in India have force people to follow one religion and caste. They have killed and destroyed many temples and monks. They were overthrown by the best, who understands humanity.
Hence will be clash between the two.

Not only Kings and Monarchs, in modern times too there were Chauvinists like Stalin, Mussolini, Idi Amin to name a few .

Stalin was not a chauvanist though he may be criticized as 'tatalitairan' and for personality cult. Mussolini was indeed chauvanist. Idi Ameen was neither totalitarian nor chauvanist. He was outright anti human. He even ate human meat.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: rambabu
When a person sacrifices everything even his life for the sake of the country, it is called patriotism. A true patriot will think about the safety and protection of his countrymen first. The soldiers who die fighting in the battle fields are therefore remembered for his bravery forever. Such brave soldiers are honoured by the Kings and Emperors as Knights. The modern India honour them as Patriots and the India before freedom honour them as Freedom Fighters.
Such people can never be selfish or greedy. They live fore the country and die for the country.

Patriotism by all means is good. Blind patriotism is chauvinism like Hitler is dangerous. Such Chauvinists will be erased from History.

You are right. Such people have existed many years back in the History. Many kings in India have force people to follow one religion and caste. They have killed and destroyed many temples and monks. They were overthrown by the best, who understands humanity.
Hence will be clash between the two.

Not only Kings and Monarchs, in modern times too there were Chauvinists like Stalin, Mussolini, Idi Amin to name a few .

Stalin was not a chauvanist though he may be criticized as 'tatalitairan' and for personality cult. Mussolini was indeed chauvanist. Idi Ameen was neither totalitarian nor chauvanist. He was outright anti human. He even ate human meat.

I think, personality cult is an offshoot of Chauvanism. Anyhow, thanks for enunciating the differences.
We hear people and especially our netas lecturing and giving speeches about Nationalism, patriotism blah blah on national days while taking part in the flag hoisting ceremony !!!! and go on to loot the country without feeling any guilt..
On the other hand we have people who hate anything west and whether it is right or wrong, staunchly defend the country ! What is your idea of being a patriot or a Nationalist ?

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 10908]}
for me it is all about India, as the nation and its history with pride attached with it.

http://mohanmekap.com/

Thank you said by: usha manohar
We hear people and especially our netas lecturing and giving speeches about Nationalism, patriotism blah blah on national days while taking part in the flag hoisting ceremony !!!! and go on to loot the country without feeling any guilt..
On the other hand we have people who hate anything west and whether it is right or wrong, staunchly defend the country ! What is your idea of being a patriot or a Nationalist ?

for me it is all about India, as the nation and its history with pride attached with it.

Of course we have a heritage, history, culture and civilization which we can be proud of although precious little is being done to preserve our heritage structures.The world heritage organisation had to come to the rescue in many cases, thats what is so very annoying about the present day politics and people most of who live in their own selfish greed ridden world,..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

Of course we have a heritage, history, culture and civilization which we can be proud of although precious little is being done to preserve our heritage structures.The world heritage organisation had to come to the rescue in many cases, thats what is so very annoying about the present day politics and people most of who live in their own selfish greed ridden world,..

People are no less guilty in this respect. I have seen how the valuable sculptures of konark temple in Odisha and the priceless frescoes of Ajanta are marauded and disfigured by our own people. There is no use of mauling them on one side and saying, I'm proud of my heritage on another side. My heart weeps whenever I see these priceless marvels being disfigured.
Thank you said by: usha manohar

Nice picture.
In India, even a child understands the meaning of patriotism but not the most talented politicians.

Structures recognized by the world Heritage organizations provide hefty funds for preservation and maintenance of the structures. But, are these funds going really for preservation of the priceless structures ? NO. They are directly landing in the pockets of the politicians making ASI helpless.

Structures recognized by the world Heritage organizations provide hefty funds for preservation and maintenance of the structures. But, are these funds going really for preservation of the priceless structures ? NO. They are directly landing in the pockets of the politicians making ASI helpless.

Very true ! I know about Hampi in Karnataka which is a world heritage site and apparently the organisation has released funds for constructing a proper road to the place from the nearest town Bellary but it is still not been utilised and the tourists and the archealogists who come in groups have to suffer the bad roads..

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.