Bitter gourd or Hagal kai in Kannada is very popular but not liked by many because of the bitter taste.However, it is packed with nutrients and is recommended by Ayurvedic doctors for Diabetics since it helps control the sugar levells. There are innumerable dishes and pickles made with this Hagalkai which is one of my favorite vegetables...

{CJATTACHMENT ["id": 10981]}

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
This is very good for the people having sugar problem. Doctors generally suggest to have its juice everyday.
Thank you said by: usha manohar
We call it Kakarkai in Telugu. One of my friend who was a chronic diabetic was completely cured by using Bitter Gourd consistently. Yes many turn away from its bitter taste.
Thank you said by: usha manohar
The juice is quite tasty when some lime juice,mint and jaggery is added to it.I make it sometimes , otherwise stuffed bitter gourd and masala fried karelas are very tasty ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

The juice is quite tasty when some lime juice,mint and jaggery is added to it.I make it sometimes , otherwise stuffed bitter gourd and masala fried karelas are very tasty ...

We prepare Stuffed bitter gourd. Generally the fillings will be lots of onions ,clove and adrak paste.

I agree with you. Potato and tomato together with Karela is good combination . It reduce its bitterness and makes it more tasty.

I agree with you. Potato and tomato together with Karela is good combination . It reduce its bitterness and makes it more tasty.

True ! Karelas are also added to cerain fish curries and dhal along with greens like Palak and dill leaves...

Karela or karale as we call it in Marathi is my favorite too! I prepare it in a variety of ways but the most favorite is one in which I use lots of fresh coconut, jaggery and tamarind, it is very delicious combo!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Yes.. Even I have heard that it has many healthy benefits, but people avoid it due to its bitter taste. Personally, I guess it look like Karela (I don't know if it is same).. And I like it.

ANDROIOS: http://androios-tweaks.blogspot.com
Yes.. Even I have heard that it has many healthy benefits, but people avoid it due to its bitter taste. Personally, I guess it look like Karela (I don't know if it is same).. And I like it.

Karela and bitter gourd are same. Of course it's bitter. But nutritional value and several health benefits are associated with bitter gourd.
Thank you said by: AKP

It is Karela Anand, but nowadays the kind of karelas you get in market does not have much bitter taste!

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Thank you said by: AKP
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.