There is a lot of awareness now among the educated masses regarding food items that are high protein, low carb and high fiber and everyone you come across speaks about olive oil, green tea ,oats and fibers ...
I am providing a link which has a lot of information on various food items , how (un)healtrhy are they and and what they contain..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/photo-stories/health-fitness/9-foods-you-think-are-healthy/photostory/37697815.cms

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.
There is a lot of awareness now among the educated masses regarding food items that are high protein, low carb and high fiber and everyone you come across speaks about olive oil, green tea ,oats and fibers ...
I am providing a link which has a lot of information on various food items , how (un)healtrhy are they and and what they contain..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/photo-stories/health-fitness/9-foods-you-think-are-healthy/photostory/37697815.cms

Most of the foods given in the link are not a part of my diet chart. But I was astonished to know, dry fruits like dates, eating more than 3 or 4 is not a healthy habit. Of course home made Dahi is regular item for me.

Most of the foods given in the link are not a part of my diet chart. But I was astonished to know, dry fruits like dates, eating more than 3 or 4 is not a healthy habit. Of course home made Dahi is regular item for me.

Always home grown and home made is much healthier, but there is a limit to how many things we can grow and make at home so we depend on stores...I try to buy vegetables and fruits from local villagers who grow fresh vegetables in their fields and sell for much less ...

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Always home grown and home made is much healthier, but there is a limit to how many things we can grow and make at home so we depend on stores...I try to buy vegetables and fruits from local villagers who grow fresh vegetables in their fields and sell for much less ...[/quote

It so happened, when I purchased my present flat, it was surrounded by lush greenery and agricultural lands of the villagers. With the time, more flats rose up and it has become a A full fledged township.. This resulted as a boon to both the farmers and the residents of the flats. Earlier the farmers used to cover long distances to sell their cultivated vegetables and seasonal fruits. Residents also used to go to the vegetable markets for buying vegetables and fruits once in a week. Now, both were saved from the trouble of covering distances. The farmers found a market in the residents and the residents get their fresh vegetables at their door step.
The icing on the cake is residents need not buy vegetables in bulk and store them in the Fridge.
Coming to the point of discussion, there is no necessity of growing the vegetables. Which is why we are able to make always home made healthy food.
Thank you said by: usha manohar

Always home grown and home made is much healthier, but there is a limit to how many things we can grow and make at home so we depend on stores...I try to buy vegetables and fruits from local villagers who grow fresh vegetables in their fields and sell for much less ...

It so happened, when I purchased my present flat, it was surrounded by lush greenery and agricultural lands of the villagers. With the time, more flats rose up and it has become a A full fledged township.. This resulted as a boon to both the farmers and the residents of the flats. Earlier the farmers used to cover long distances to sell their cultivated vegetables and seasonal fruits. Residents also used to go to the vegetable markets for buying vegetables and fruits once in a week. Now, both were saved from the trouble of covering distances. The farmers found a market in the residents and the residents get their fresh vegetables at their door step.
The icing on the cake is residents need not buy vegetables in bulk and store them in the Fridge.
Coming to the point of discussion, there is no necessity of growing the vegetables. Which is why we are able to make always home made healthy food.

I wonder for how long this will continue since the government is in a hurry to convert rural and agricultural land surrounding the cities and make way for community farming where large amounts of chemical fertilisers are used ...

I wonder for how long this will continue since the government is in a hurry to convert rural and agricultural land surrounding the cities and make way for community farming where large amounts of chemical fertilisers are used ...

You are right. But organic farming is also gaining ground. Of course they are costly and available only in big cities right now because they can't be farmed in large scale. Only way for us is now is to avail the present amenities as long as they are available.

I think that chemical fertilizers have been used as a part of green revolution. We used to import wheat from USA but now we are self sufficient. It appears that with a view to get more output, some compromise with quality might have been made. Green revolution made us self sufficient in food in spite of manifold increase in population but may be at cost of quality and health.

G. K. Ajmani Tax consultant
http://gkajmani-mystraythoughts.blogspot.com/

Thank you said by: rambabu

I think that chemical fertilizers have been used as a part of green revolution. We used to import wheat from USA but now we are self sufficient. It appears that with a view to get more output, some compromise with quality might have been made. Green revolution made us self sufficient in food in spite of manifold increase in population but may be at cost of quality and health.

For a bigger output that can cater to the food needs of a country like India, chemical fertilizers should be used. Green revolution is successful on that count. But as you said, in this process, health has been sacrificed.
Thank you said by: Gulshan Kumar Ajmani
You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.