Masala is a word that is often used in an Indian kitchen. It literally means a blend of several spices. Garam (hot) masala is the most important blend masala and an absolute essential to north Indian preparations, added just before serving the dish to enhance its flavour. The rational garam masala is a blend of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper. Masala may be in dry, rosted ground or paste form.

http://www.thokalath.com/cuisine/spice_guide.php

Like it on Facebook, Tweet it or share this topic on other bookmarking websites.

There are so many masalas used in different combinations in different states ...Certain ingredients may be same but any difference in combination and quantity makes a whole lot of difference.Coconut fresh or dry is a must along with other spices in Mangalore and probably Kerala...Similarly in the north they use giner garlic paste in almost all their curries along with garam masala and chilly powder ..

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

usha manohar wrote:

There are so many masalas used in different combinations in different states ...Certain ingredients may be same but any difference in combination and quantity makes a whole lot of difference.Coconut fresh or dry is a must along with other spices in Mangalore and probably Kerala...Similarly in the north they use giner garlic paste in almost all their curries along with garam masala and chilly powder ..

IN Mahrashtra, we use fresh or dried and roasted coconut is some parts, while in some regions roasted and ground peanuts, sesame seeds, or even niger seeds is used to add flavour and thickness to gravies, in addition various types of masalas. In my community, we make a typical masala in almost all preparations which is called as 'goda masala' which contains about 16 different spices and condiments. I learned to make it this year from my mother.

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally."
- W. C. Fields :)

Kalyani Nandurkar wrote:
usha manohar wrote:

IN Mahrashtra, we use fresh or dried and roasted coconut is some parts, while in some regions roasted and ground peanuts, sesame seeds, or even niger seeds is used to add flavour and thickness to gravies, in addition various types of masalas. In my community, we make a typical masala in almost all preparations which is called as 'goda masala' which contains about 16 different spices and condiments. I learned to make it this year from my mother.

I know about Goda masala since, one of my friends a Saraswath who used to live in Pune earlier uses it a lot...She too makes it at homw and it is really tasty...she makes Ladies finger with potatoes using the masala and it comes out really well !

Pay no mind to those who talk behind your back, it simply means that you are two steps ahead !!!

Thank you said by: Kalyani Nandurkar

In AP Masalas Ginger is the most essential ingredient. Not only for health, also for  taste. We use extensively Ginger Tea, a great slimming beverage.

Both Ginger and Pepper when combined together give a great taste to any dish especially sea food ...Sea food needs more spice in Indian recipes but continental recipes which use herbs and garlic and normally steam the dish are far more healthier although tend to be bland to Indians used to highly spiced food..

Yes. I'm experienced with this delicious experience. But these spices should be used sparingly if one wants to savor the taste of the food fully.

You do not have permissions to reply to this topic.